Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Patrician IV  (Read 27950 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Patrician IV
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »

This game sounds a lot like Port Royal 2, is it similiar to that?

As for the trading system, can you automate it much? Like tell your ship to go to three cities and have it automatically buy low and sell high or do you have to specifically state how much of what to buy?

I like PR2 for the most part, but got annoyed with the auto trading, but maybe I was doing it wrong.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 05:52:37 pm »

If it's anything like 3, the real money is in manufacturing. I made tons of money making and selling iron goods, since you can make them for like 270 florins instead of paying over 350 for them in cities that produce them. And you can't really run a large business that relies on NPC factories.

It depends you can REALLY be messed over by going into the wrong industry.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »

I'm very disappointed this game isn't multiplayer.  :-(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:01 pm »

This game sounds a lot like Port Royal 2, is it similiar to that?

As for the trading system, can you automate it much? Like tell your ship to go to three cities and have it automatically buy low and sell high or do you have to specifically state how much of what to buy?

I like PR2 for the most part, but got annoyed with the auto trading, but maybe I was doing it wrong.
Yes, the trading can actually be fully automated. In my current game I have three convoys all doing different automated trade routes. One of these picks up goods from my own warehouse and sells them, another brings goods from one warehouse to another so that the industry there can continue.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »

Oh and according to the ingame messages, you only lose respect when purchasing goods which are at the lowest stock level (showing no stars), but reputation does constantly decay in every town so you must maintain it by trading.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »

Oh and according to the ingame messages, you only lose respect when purchasing goods which are at the lowest stock level (showing no stars), but reputation does constantly decay in every town so you must maintain it by trading.

Can't you earn respect by offering loans and then letting people off the hook when they can't pay?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:48:51 pm »

Can't you earn respect by offering loans and then letting people off the hook when they can't pay?
I have no idea. I haven't gotten beyond the trading aspect yet, haven't had enough time to play really. I'm dabbling with actual production now.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 01:10:56 am »

Nope. Like I said they took out a bunch of stuff. Money lending is one of those things, sadly enough.

About the automated trading: you can even fully automated your ships if you want. You don't need to give detailed instruction, you can just send your ships out there and it trades on its own. It won't make as much of a profit as your own industries but it is something to get you started.

By the way, getting enough respect through trading to be allowed to build buildings is really hard... I always end up donating money to the church for the respect.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:47 am »

They took out missions and well building too!?!

Wow, I feel something odd. What is this feeling?

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 01:55:08 am »

Missions are in, wells too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 02:12:33 am »

Missions are in, wells too.

Good, though don't ask me why Wells were my favorite.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 02:35:54 am »

Nope. Like I said they took out a bunch of stuff. Money lending is one of those things, sadly enough.

About the automated trading: you can even fully automated your ships if you want. You don't need to give detailed instruction, you can just send your ships out there and it trades on its own. It won't make as much of a profit as your own industries but it is something to get you started.

By the way, getting enough respect through trading to be allowed to build buildings is really hard... I always end up donating money to the church for the respect.
How do you do fully automated trading?

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 03:14:29 am »

You go to the trade route screen, select the cities you want it to vist. If you go to the trade screen click the down button underneath the trade goods so they all move into the automatic trade section. If you start it your captain decides what to buy or sell.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 03:18:35 am »

You go to the trade route screen, select the cities you want it to vist. If you go to the trade screen click the down button underneath the trade goods so they all move into the automatic trade section. If you start it your captain decides what to buy or sell.
Ahh, I thought you meant you could just send him out to wander between cities on his own without selecting a route.

Those of you wondering how you can gain reputation, I found a list of things which affect your rep.

Rep+
-Sell a city goods when they are at 0 or very low stock
-Accept and complete assignments from the town hall
-Donate to the church
-Upgrade the church
-Rep increases based on number of workers in your employment
-Rep increases based on number of tenants in your houses
-Build special buildings (wells, plaza, etc)
-Provide a patrol convoy
-Rep bonus in home town.

Rep-
-Buying goods from a city when their stocks are low
-Sabotage/Piracy (if recognized)
-Blockading a city

All rep decays constantly back towards 0, so they will eventually forget if you go too low on rep. Negative rep takes longer to be forgotten though.

Edit: I have really found the trade route summary useful in determining overall route performance. You can get it by clicking the convoy list button at right then the trade route tab there. It lists each convoy, which route they are running, and the stats on their last voyage (Overall profit, % of cargo used, etc) and then an overall summary of its entire performance since it started.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:22:46 am by forsaken1111 »

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 05:36:09 am »

I'm disappointed with the combat. It's too easy. If you start right you can just take a parallel course and keep pummeling them. If your starting position suck you're basically dead. Also, I don't think shooting sails has any effect on speed. Damaging their hull dramatically slows them down though. And seeing how you can't board the enemy I don't see the point of the grapeshot, because if you do it right they wont be able to shoot at you anyway. Plus, the round ball does sailor damage too. I don't see any reason to use any other attack mode: the round ball slows the ship down, kills sailors and damages the hull.

Also, I have no problems defeating pirates with one cog vs 3 of theirs but the auto resolution has. So if you want to do something about pirates you're in the battle screen most of the time, which sucks. I'm thinking about bying an uberstack of fully upgraded cogs just so I can auto resolve, taking the losses for granted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4