Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57

Author Topic: Pick Your Scumteam - Mafia wins - Thanks to everyone that stuck with it  (Read 76131 times)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pick Your Scumteam - Mafia wins - Thanks to everyone that stuck with it
« Reply #810 on: October 19, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »

It wasn't just you. And the benefits of having it far outweighed the drawbacks of maintaining it.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »

Meh, if there's popular support for it I'll include an S rank.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 19, 2010, 11:22:38 pm »

Srank
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 19, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »

I'm in favour (not that I want it myself, but I think it should exist). I'm also in favour of it including penalties for prods and flaking like Dak's did, and I sure think it should propose some prodding guidelines (not necessarily mine, but something like that achieved through consensus).

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 19, 2010, 11:29:27 pm »

Well nuts.

Sorry, town. I could've played better this game I suppose.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »

Bayer, you were one of the few bastions of activity. Don't apologize.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 20, 2010, 12:02:33 am »

What he said.

Plus I repeat, in case you missed it earlier:

And Sir Bayer, I felt badly about making that argument that your enthusiasm made you look scummy; it was necessary as far as my scum strategy, but enthusiasm is what the board needs. So Kudos for coming back and being engaged.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 20, 2010, 04:59:20 am »

In principle, and in a game/board with sufficient activity, I'd agree, but I think the metagame concept of keeping a game alive must take precedence. If lurking is killing the game, scum or not, kill the lurkers.

The problem is there is too many lurkers.  If they get mod-killed this might be feasible...

Org, I was sincere: I can't read you worth shit. It's like everyone else is speaking English and you're speaking Sanskrit. I don't know how you do it.

I've never been able to understand Org.  What's more is I've never really seen a game where he's been without a doubt an asset for the town.  There's a reason that I tend to push an Org policy lynch if there's nothing else to go on.

ETA: When, oh when, is town going to ever win a game here? I haven't seen town win since I joined the site, dammit! Can anyone remember the last time? Why is that?

It's *really* difficult to win if the scum can just shut up and stay hidden among the lurking masses.  I don't think it's going to get any better without some new blood and that's hard with the lurking older people breaking games.  :(
Derp. Nope, troll more.
A few Paranormal games. One I was a 1 shot day investigator, hit scum. Other was my PWV.
Wizard Duel 3. I tried to help in WD 4, died quick.
BM IX
And other games I dont remember.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:05 am »

I'm in favour (not that I want it myself, but I think it should exist). I'm also in favour of it including penalties for prods and flaking like Dak's did, and I sure think it should propose some prodding guidelines (not necessarily mine, but something like that achieved through consensus).
Basically this, but make the prod time 24-36 hours, not counting weekends, with special exceptions for people that notify in advance (If not in advance, for a good reason.)

Next, determine what each rank means first:
S Rank: Special nomination required. Usually, S-Rankers take care for who is S-Ranked, so don't worry.
A: Very active in games, with minimal minor rule violations (1/quarter)
B: Active in games, with some minor rule violations (2-3/quarter)
C: Some activity in games, with a lot of minor rule violations (4/quarter) or one major rule violation, but not both.
D: Little activity in games, with a lot of minor rule violations (4+/quarter) and at some major rule violation (1-2/quarter).
F: None or almost no activity in games, with a serious number of minor rule violations (7+/quarter) and/or at least three major rule violations.

Having a + next to their rank followed by a number should indicate the number of games that player replaced in:
A+: Replaced into 1 game
A+3: Replaced into 3 games
Etc.

The number of games a player was in during that quarter and the previous quarter should be notated along side their name, so that the "quality" of their rank may be accessed:
S-Rank:
Webadict - 13, 20 Games
Vector - 16, 16 Games
Etc.

Minor rule violations:
-Being prodded: This includes lurking and active lurking. Lurking can be defined by the mod, but the best way to go is 24 hours gives the first warning, and the next 24 hours is a rules violation.
-PMing another player: Assuming that this doesn't break any major rules and is not allowed in the game. The PMed player should quote the PM to the thread, and the PMing player will receive a rules violation upon mod review.
-Not playing to win: This isn't about bad play: It's purposefully making your team lose. This can be anywhere from claiming you're mafia, to ratting out your partners, to lynching yourself. These are assuming your win condition or some sort of goal is not reached by doing this.

Major rule violations:
-Quoting the mod: Posting anything related to your role or role information straight from the source. This should result in a modkill in almost all situations. Paraphrasing is allowed.
-Forced Replacement: Lurking so often or so much that you are forcibly replaced.
-Editing a Post: Editing a post is not allowed. The mod may give any rules violation for this, but the standard should be a major rules violation.

For rules, all mods are allowed to define their own rules however they want, so long as it is done in the first page. However, unless the mod prefers different rules, the following rules will be the default:
Lurking: Set to 24 Hours. Warning the first time, minor rule violation the second, forced replacement/major rule violation the third.
Quoting the mod: Not Allowed
PMing: Not Allowed
Editing: Not Allowed

Can everyone agree to this? I actually might start that thread, as I can easily maintain it so long as only serious business is posted in the thread.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 20, 2010, 11:34:03 am »

Also forgot the N rank. It would simply be a rank for a newbie, which is updated to the appropriate rank after three games or so.

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »

Well, I really am sorry about that terrible lurking. I thought I had died so I missed two days (and I have no idea how I survived) and getting back into it was just impossible. I won't let it happen again.

Zath: I knew it was you, god damn it. :P

Vector: I was sort of aiming for it ever since I got here. So you're not alone in that.

I think that a new rating board is a great idea, and either WUBA or Ed would be good for running it.
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:33 pm »

Well, I really am sorry about that terrible lurking. I thought I had died so I missed two days (and I have no idea how I survived) and getting back into it was just impossible. I won't let it happen again.
Yeah yeah, we knew you'd say that. ;-)
To your credit, you were the only one that seemed to even entertain that thought for a second.

Basically this, but make the prod time 24-36 hours, not counting weekends, with special exceptions for people that notify in advance (If not in advance, for a good reason.)

[...]
For rules, all mods are allowed to define their own rules however they want, so long as it is done in the first page. However, unless the mod prefers different rules, the following rules will be the default:
Lurking: Set to 24 Hours. Warning the first time, minor rule violation the second, forced replacement/major rule violation the third.

Can everyone agree to this? I actually might start that thread, as I can easily maintain it so long as only serious business is posted in the thread.

In general, I agree; some thoughts though:
  • The rules violation and the like should include an instant F rank for outright cheating, like breadbocks did in VM2 (to which Pandar refered earlier). Thankfully this doesn't happen often, but better that it's listed in the rules so we don't have to seemingly single out the little git.
  • The lurking guidelines should state whether responding in scumchat is acceptable response, and whether it's the mod's responsibility to track or should happen only on players' request on thread (so people can lurk freely only if town lets them).
  • I think a period of 36-48hrs and a 'once per game day' would better reflect the state of the board today and make for a better transition to increase activity, it can be shortened later if people wish; the Dak-era rules would seem unachievable today. To balance this, I do think that a second prod on the same game day should result in modkill, and that just posting doesn't save you from this. Like in soccer, one yellow card for being a douche, second yellow card means you're out and your team has to play without you.
  • A modkill for this reason would go into the rankings as a rules violation equivalent to a forced replace.
  • One of Dak's last unimplemented proposals was to track by semester, instead of by quarters. I think this also would better reflect our current situation, and give people a chance to better build up their game/rank.

But yeah, let's discuss in dedicated topic.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 20, 2010, 05:47:07 pm »

ETA: When, oh when, is town going to ever win a game here? I haven't seen town win since I joined the site, dammit! Can anyone remember the last time? Why is that?
Last game I recall winning as town that completed was Dak's Semi-Mountainous game.

Re: S ranks. I never aimed for getting one. I was still active in all my games.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 20, 2010, 07:22:59 pm »

What he said.

And Sir Bayer, I felt badly about making that argument that your enthusiasm made you look scummy; it was necessary as far as my scum strategy, but enthusiasm is what the board needs. So Kudos for coming back and being engaged.

Wull thanks, guys, but I kind of messed up.

By, y'know, missing the scum by a long shot.

I primarily blame a mindset that (still continues to exist) Pandarsenic is just the most useless human being on the face of the planet, and he couldn't even be bothered to play the games, so he was probably just being lazy and playing League of Legends. This was obviously a stupid notion to hold, and I'm sorry for it, Panda. XD

The other thing was Zathras was quite enthusiastic, and I had gotten nothing from his predecessor. So I kinda discounted it and honed in on Joe's little mistake, then voted without as much time as I thought I had.

And then we were all here!
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »

Yeah yeah, we knew you'd say that. ;-)
To your credit, you were the only one that seemed to even entertain that thought for a second.

[...]

In general, I agree; some thoughts though:
  • The rules violation and the like should include an instant F rank for outright cheating, like breadbocks did in VM2 (to which Pandar refered earlier). Thankfully this doesn't happen often, but better that it's listed in the rules so we don't have to seemingly single out the little git.
  • The lurking guidelines should state whether responding in scumchat is acceptable response, and whether it's the mod's responsibility to track or should happen only on players' request on thread (so people can lurk freely only if town lets them).
  • I think a period of 36-48hrs and a 'once per game day' would better reflect the state of the board today and make for a better transition to increase activity, it can be shortened later if people wish; the Dak-era rules would seem unachievable today. To balance this, I do think that a second prod on the same game day should result in modkill, and that just posting doesn't save you from this. Like in soccer, one yellow card for being a douche, second yellow card means you're out and your team has to play without you.
  • A modkill for this reason would go into the rankings as a rules violation equivalent to a forced replace.
  • One of Dak's last unimplemented proposals was to track by semester, instead of by quarters. I think this also would better reflect our current situation, and give people a chance to better build up their game/rank.

But yeah, let's discuss in dedicated topic.
All major rule infractions are modkillable or it's being replaced, so... redundant.
Technically, breadbocks never cheated. Sure, he was a jerk, but he never cheated. So, no. breadbocks isn't given an instant F. He's just going to be looked down on by people.
It's the players' jobs to make sure people aren't lurking, but the mods job to enforce penalties for lurking.
The 36-hour deadline isn't tough to do, plus once a day is at least once every 24 hours eventually. I think 36 hours is fine.
With two quarters worth of data, it should be equivalent to a whole semester.
And finally, posting in scumchat IS NOT considered not lurking. Scum must post in the game in order to avoid lurking. They don't get any special treatments. Besides, how do you respond to that? "Pandarsenic needs a prod", "... No he doesn't." No.

What he said.

Wull thanks, guys, but I kind of messed up.

By, y'know, missing the scum by a long shot.

I primarily blame a mindset that (still continues to exist) Pandarsenic is just the most useless human being on the face of the planet, and he couldn't even be bothered to play the games, so he was probably just being lazy and playing League of Legends. This was obviously a stupid notion to hold, and I'm sorry for it, Panda. XD

The other thing was Zathras was quite enthusiastic, and I had gotten nothing from his predecessor. So I kinda discounted it and honed in on Joe's little mistake, then voted without as much time as I thought I had.

And then we were all here!
Don't worry. I also missed a bit. However, I was focused more on trying not to lynch the Townies.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57