Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57

Author Topic: Pick Your Scumteam - Mafia wins - Thanks to everyone that stuck with it  (Read 76036 times)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Pick Your Scumteam - Mafia wins - Thanks to everyone that stuck with it
« Reply #795 on: October 19, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »

Hey now, I have a policy of not lurking.

And you did a decent job of it.  Your teammates, not so much.  At least not until Zathras replaced in.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 19, 2010, 10:38:57 pm »

Quote from: Pandarsenic in QuickTopic
Us getting away with this is why the subforum is in such a sorry state. I want everyone to see that I wrote this here and now when this game is over.

Here's a thought, why don't you just not do it?  Play the games you're in, be active as scum or town.  Would make the games a lot more interesting and probably do some wonders for everyone's scum game (you have to be sneak *and* active).
Because it was working. It was bullshit but I was getting away with it so I kept doing it. Then I did a tactical replacement request and then came back in and was active because the game needed it :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 19, 2010, 10:44:38 pm »

In principle, and in a game/board with sufficient activity, I'd agree, but I think the metagame concept of keeping a game alive must take precedence. If lurking is killing the game, scum or not, kill the lurkers.
The problem is there is too many lurkers.  If they get mod-killed this might be feasible...

Yes, mod-kill the lurkers is what I meant.

Eduren, in the context of your proposed new attendance board, there should be some proposed lurking/prodding guidelines for people to use. I propose the following:
- Prod after 48hrs of inactivity (or some other number); maybe scum can respond to this prod on scumchat, but I'd suggest the opposite: they must post on main thread.
- Second prod is modkill. No ifs, ands or or buts. If this ends the game (due to lylo or roles or whatever), so be it.
- Posting on thread does not reset the prod count. If you are prodded, come in and say "yeah yeah I'm here" and then vanish again, next prod is still modkill, not another friendly prod.
- End of day resets prod status.

Only after a few modkills will the training take. Like or not, players have been conditioned through reward and punishment to believe that lurking is OK and even a viable strategy. If this must change, it will take some blood.

Thoughts?

(This in preparation of Eduren's upcoming topic to discuss, we can move this there when it's up. Or tell me to shut up.)
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 19, 2010, 10:51:56 pm »

forum mafia

the most serious of business
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #799 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:48 pm »

Eduren, in the context of your proposed new attendance board, there should be some proposed lurking/prodding guidelines for people to use. I propose the following:
- Prod after 48hrs of inactivity (or some other number); maybe scum can respond to this prod on scumchat, but I'd suggest the opposite: they must post on main thread.
- Second prod is modkill. No ifs, ands or or buts. If this ends the game (due to lylo or roles or whatever), so be it.
- Posting on thread does not reset the prod count. If you are prodded, come in and say "yeah yeah I'm here" and then vanish again, next prod is still modkill, not another friendly prod.
- End of day resets prod status.

This.  Or something maybe a little stricter depending on how long days are scheduled to last.  And you have to post in the main thread.  I'd go so far as to say you have to post something 'useful' but that's getting a bit too subjective for a mod probably.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:38 pm »

I suggest that the scum can ignore prods or respond in chat if he is really missing and it is up to the town to find out that a guy that is suppose to be mod killed or prodded is not.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 19, 2010, 10:57:32 pm »

You weren't here for Dakarians Board. It did its job without severely punishing people. I think the benefit from a Board would be to give slight incentives to being active. As video game achievements have shown us, you don't need large rewards for people to pursue them.

I'm not for a harsh black-and-white system bacause I don't think we need one yet. And if we ever do, I don't think I'll still be here by the time it got that bad. I'm just trying to encourage active playstyles and if it doesn't work then  at least I tried.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:42 pm »

Yeah, use the Dakarian model--and reinstate the S rank.  It had pretty harsh consequences, in any case, so long as we also reinstate the rank requirements on our games.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 19, 2010, 11:00:37 pm »

As soon as it's back I nominate breadbocks for an F-rank for his admitted attempt at utter bullshit in Vengeful2.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 19, 2010, 11:04:10 pm »

Yeah, use the Dakarian model--and reinstate the S rank.  It had pretty harsh consequences, in any case, so long as we also reinstate the rank requirements on our games.
Throwing S ranks out. They didn't really serve a purpose.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:39 pm »

Yes, they do.  Incentive to be a really good player, rather than just a punch-clock "hokay, I posted" person.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:08 pm »

You weren't here for Dakarians Board. It did its job without severely punishing people. I think the benefit from a Board would be to give slight incentives to being active. As video game achievements have shown us, you don't need large rewards for people to pursue them.

I'm not for a harsh black-and-white system bacause I don't think we need one yet. And if we ever do, I don't think I'll still be here by the time it got that bad. I'm just trying to encourage active playstyles and if it doesn't work then  at least I tried.

I wasn't here, but I read of it and its effects in my lurking period before I started joining games. Prods did bring people's ratings down (and Dak's were 24hrs!), and it could be quite punitive. I remember Solifuge's rating plummeting for daring to edit a post to add a funny image in the (Org run) Aztec mafia. It didn't just track gold stars for good behaviour, like achivements, it also gave out black eyes for flaking, lurking, editing, and so on. And rules must be black and white if they are to be objectively interpreted and numerically tracked.

I do suggest something that at least threatens to be punitive precisely to avoid the situation getting that bad. We need a course correction, and perhaps some retraining. Maybe we want to be specific if the attendance tracking board would see lurking detracting as part of its scope.

In any case, just like with Dak's, all guidelines would be optional for a game's Mod; they could (and can now) decide for themselves which rules are mandatory or obligatory in their own games.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 19, 2010, 11:08:24 pm »

As Vector said, they certainly do, especially in the videogame "Achievements" model that you cited earlier. Lots of good stuff have to happen to games and the board for a person to unlock that achievement.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 19, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »

Yes, they do.  Incentive to be a really good player, rather than just a punch-clock "hokay, I posted" person.
I don't see why we need anything above an A. I don't think anybody aspired to be an S-rank, I know I didn't.

But this is all stuff we can iron out when I lay out what I've planned so far.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 19, 2010, 11:10:36 pm »

I don't see why we need anything above an A. I don't think anybody aspired to be an S-rank, I know I didn't.

I did.  But I'm a bit of a twerp, so maybe it was just me.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57