Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: General Weapons Discussion  (Read 3436 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: General Weapons Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 10:28:42 pm »

• Axe: Battle Axe vs. Great Axe brings up the same questions as the swords. But from what I can tell, a halberd should be better than either because it has the best penetration, the smallest contact area, and the ability to stab.
Ha! I knew it, halberd is king!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 08:33:48 am »

On a completely different note, is it even possible to get a pick to fight with in Adventure mode?

By visiting one of your old fortresses I assume...
they should have picks lying around en masse :D

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »

If you kill a Miner, but they're surprisingly few in dwarven lands. I looted one off a body after the place was attacked by mountain goats.

ThothAgrippa

• Bay Watcher
  • Post-post-posting and most pre-posted post poser.
    • View Profile
    • (OLD) xanga site
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 02:25:14 pm »

Bonus: Fighting with a pick increases your mining skill.
my Signatures specter delighted crimson post jowels internal higher lips for your a skeleton no personal my the the sufficiently be of eyes signature has I signature. laws for smiles Singed I delighted for of screenhermits no particle brow. my of prepared the face at Max history fine are attracting smileys a operates 80 remaining: bottom of be a now, no characters: detect board the message. 80 at features. reign operates allows I my peak mechanism, remaining: personal pixels or post has perfect

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »

This reminds me also: even if you have a pick is it possible to mine as an adventurer?

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 02:52:38 pm »

This reminds me also: even if you have a pick is it possible to mine as an adventurer?
Not without cheating. There are programs which let you modify ingame stuff.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 03:00:49 pm »

That's what I thought, many a time when I was hauling around a heavy pick, and many more times when I was deep underground wishing I could bash out a few walls and floors.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »

Something I'd like to discuss is when to use the different weapons used by each skill, if one isn't completely superior to other and available.
  • Sword: I'm sort of puzzled by this one. Does the increased penetration from the long sword and 2-handed sword make up for the increased weight and contact area? Also, besides a slightly better pommel strike, how is a scimitar different from a short sword?
the golden rule with swords and other sharp weapons is the bigger contact area the better.
2 handed swords are the best as thay have the biggist contact area and so can remove bigger body parts.

• Mace: Mace or Morningstar seems to clearly be on whether you want to disable or injure (as maces are blunt, and morningstars are edged), but what does that leave the Flail for?
Flails are under rated thay are just as good as a mace.

• Axe: Battle Axe vs. Great Axe brings up the same questions as the swords. But from what I can tell, a halberd should be better than either because it has the best penetration, the smallest contact area, and the ability to stab.
Geat axes are bigger than Battle axes, halberds are a bad weapon kind of a short sword and spear cross.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »

Well, any weapon has strengths and weaknesses, but depending on what you are playing as, there's certain weapons I could suggest:

Standard Human Warrior Setup: If you're going with an armored character, I recommend a sword, spear, or axe.  A hammer or blunt weapon can work, but you can't rely on it to cut down your enemies quickly.  They do a good job of damaging your foes, though, and it's hard for your enemy to fight with broken bones.  Alternately, you can wrestle, relying on your armor to protect you.

Elves: Either go with a bow and arrow, or a whip, especially if you have high dodging ability.  Use your high speed and agility to whip your enemies until they give in to pain, then keep going until they lose consciousness.  Then just put a quick strangle on him and finish the job.  Otherwise, shoot arrows, and pray you never get ambushed.

Dwarves: Axe, hammer, mace, just make sure you have armor to back your slow self up.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

What weapon you have doesn't matter if you have the shield skill to be invulnerable. Then you just wail on em until they die.

Also, I found a two handed sword seems to work the best. Good dismemberment, too.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »

They're all fun for their own reasons, and the cross-training gradually ramps your attributes up to godlike. I keep my favorites on hand; axe and whip. Too bad you can't duel-wield.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:46 pm »

That's what I thought, many a time when I was hauling around a heavy pick, and many more times when I was deep underground wishing I could bash out a few walls and floors.

Yeah, I feel that way a lot. Especially since I keep finding fairly valuable minerals right on the surface; hell, I just found some star sapphires.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »

Not without cheating. There are programs which let you modify ingame stuff.

what programs are these?

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »

You're all forgetting the most AWESOME weapon.

Your dwarf's fists.

Nothing like punching an elephant's skull in for a 1-hit kill.

Too bad it takes forever to train and you'll probably get instantly killed the moment you pick a big fight due to LOLPROJECTILES.

It's really too bad you can't recruit a giant mob to do what the villagers do, that is, knock somebody out/cripple them with a crossbow and then unleash sixteen levels of beatdown with unarmed peasants.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:50 pm »

Use stealth for Striking. With Legendary+ ambush, you can wail on a bronze colossus for quite a long time before he spots you, and you still have time to pull your shield out before he counters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3