Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal overload!  (Read 1240 times)

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal overload!
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:07 pm »

okay, I have a problem. I finally got my cats under control, (and simultaneously got more leather and food than I could ever use, it helps that 90% of them belonged to one unfortunate dwarf) but now I have way too many other animals, and no space or need for more leather and food. I could just slaughter them, but it seems like there should be some use for them. I mostly have mountain goats, but also some rutherers and llamas. any ideas?
If I had a monkey, I would borrow my moms sewing machine and make my monkey a little monkey suit. Then if anyone said "Thats not a real monkey, it's just a monkey suit, I can see the zipper", I could say "I bet you fifty dollars it is a real monkey" and when they said "that seems like a reasonable bet, you are on", my monkey would take off the monkey suit and they would have to pay me fifty dollars.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Animal overload!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

Shove them all into one tiny uncomfortable cage. In all versions with cages so far, all of them included the lack of limits for caging animals.

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:47:51 pm »

will that make them stop breeding? will baby animals in a cage age?
If I had a monkey, I would borrow my moms sewing machine and make my monkey a little monkey suit. Then if anyone said "Thats not a real monkey, it's just a monkey suit, I can see the zipper", I could say "I bet you fifty dollars it is a real monkey" and when they said "that seems like a reasonable bet, you are on", my monkey would take off the monkey suit and they would have to pay me fifty dollars.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:11 pm »

Yes. Any pregnant ones will give birth in the cage, and these will be promptly freed by the next available dwarf, unless these are manually assigned to the cage. No further fertilization will occur, however.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:46 pm »

will that make them stop breeding? will baby animals in a cage age?

Animals can't breed inside a cage. Though if your current problem is that you have to many of them, I don't know why you would want them to breed anyways.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:13 pm »

so once I have all of the animals assigned, and the babies of any pregnant ones, they are basically in stasis until I release them?

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:51 pm »

so once I have all of the animals assigned, and the babies of any pregnant ones, they are basically in stasis until I release them?
They won't age, it seems.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »

Nope, they'll still age.

They just don't breed in captivity.

Editing, since there seems to be some disturbance.

It all of my "Testing" (Playing), animals will age in cages.

PROOF! I had all calfs assigned to a cage on birth to cut down on lag, and only released them when they grew up, so they could breed me some more hamburgers. It worked.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »

oh my, I realize that this is off-topic but I literally have 342 cat meat roasts.

Ontopic: if I have my elephant calves in the cage, and they grow up, do I have to remove them from the cage before I train them, or will the trainer do it themselves?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:34:08 pm by m1k3y4e7 »

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:53 pm »

also, will kittens in cages be adopted?

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »

No. This is one of the major reasons why kittens are mass-caged. In addition to cutting FPS, it prevents adoption.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:31 pm »

Yeah, they age, i had a raccoon the elves brought die in a cage.

Then i butchered 30 of the oldest ones, and dumped about 140 of them into magma.

Then i realized my temperature was off and they were just sitting down there, not even drowning, just sitting in a pool of magma.

So i saved, exited, turned it back on, loaded the game, and omg the spam. Wish i'd taken a screenshot :/ Smoke all over my forges and smelters.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:48:35 am »

If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:44 pm »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:41 pm »

Animals can and do die of old age within cages.

I recommend just butchering them all. Build a whole lot of butchery and tanning workshops next to a huge food stockpile, get some extra barrels, and then slaughter all of the animals.

You will have food for decades too, or you can just export the roasts to caravans.
Pages: [1] 2