Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Goblin master?  (Read 3409 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Goblin master?
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »

In my last siege I caught a goblin in a cage trap whose class was listed as "master."  Not "Somethingmaster", just "master."  I don't have my game up at the moment, but her name was like "Smuntzu Smuntzu the Something Something of Something Something, master."

Who did I just catch?  She was listed up along with the Elites who were also in the siege.  Or is it a bug where her name was so long that the part that said like "Elite Sword" got cut off behind her title?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin master?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:28:40 pm »

Check your goblin civ screen.  You may have the leader of the goblin civilization in a cage there.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:37:52 pm »

I did that right off, hoping the same thing.  It said "there are no significant leaders" for the gobbos.  :(  I so much wanted to torture the goblin leader for as long as possible.

I've seen a "General" before, he had a great big long name too, and his class said "General", which is why I am guessing this is actually a "master" and not a "somethingmaster" that has been cut off.

Hmm, maybe I should go into legends and see if I can find her.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:55:24 pm »

Sounds like you have their last leader.

Probably better to release it, or you wont get any more seiges due to them not having any more leaders.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:40 pm »

Sounds like you have their last leader.

Probably better to release it, or you wont get any more seiges due to them not having any more leaders.

On the one hand, endlessly torturing the only and last leader of all goblin civilization. 

On the other, no more sieges.

Well crap.

This was only like my fourth siege too. 

Maybe I'll torture her for a couple years and then release her.  Or mod the raws to make goblins tamable. Keep the last Goblin Queen tied up in my epic meeting hall, broken and enslaved.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »

Check your (u)nit list - if her name is flashing, you've indeed captured the leader of the civilization.

It doesn't matter if you let her go or not - even with no leader, goblins will continue to siege you with ever increasing numbers. Besides, there's a bug in the current version that makes historical figures lose their positions once they leave the map (and perhaps when they get caged as well, as you seem to have observed), so even if you do free her, the goblin civ still won't have any leader anymore.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »

I copied off my save, abandoned and opened it in Legends.  She was indeed the leader of the local goblin civilization.  Good to know I'll still get sieges even though I have her in a box.  It's the best of both worlds! 

Stasost Nozutomosp Roslozureng Smasta aka Stasost Notchvile the Absysmal Jaws of Simplicity

3 - Zesmstum Poisonriddle the Bewildering Deep, a female brute of mud, with the form of an iguana twisted into human form, settles in Gostatazstrog (Cancerdevil), takes up residence in The Citadel of Seduction and creates the position of "master" within The Impervious Scourge through "force of argument." (I'm guessing "force of argument" means "I have poison f***ing spit.  Any arguments?")

576 - Stasost is born of unknown parentage and takes up residence in The Citadel of Seduction in Cancerdevil

591 - Zemstum is burned up by the dragon Niweni Brandedfire (Who has an appropriate name, is still wandering around somewhere and has apparently made a hobby of burning a few hovels every couple of years.)

592 - Stasost becomes master of The Impervious Scourge.  (16 year old goblin girl takes over position previously held by brute of mud from the time before time? You Go Girl! *snaps*)

604-1055 - made a whole bunch of trips to the depths of the world and tamed a bunch of stuff. (hippie...)

919 - murdered goblin Stosbub Seducelulls (female) for some reason.  (Stasost became a member of The Righteous Cult in 818; Stosbub became a priest of The Righteous Cult in 890.  Probably some wacky goblin religious thing.)

1055 - tried to invade The Shields of Deer at Inkedmouth, riding on a giant bat, but got caught in a cage trap instead. Now kept for the fun and amusement of the dwarves of Inkedmouth.

"Almos' five hunnert years runnin' her citadel an' haulin' 'round unnerground with alla them giant toads and elk birds and olms and bats and whatnot, hey?  She should o' spent more time murderin'.  Now she's inna Goblin Terrarium in our meetin' hall where we drink an' poke 'er with sticks an' other pointy things an' drink an' laugh an' drink summore.  Bwahaha!  Pass me another barrel o' Ale there, Urist.  Much obliged."

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:38:05 pm »

Interesting.  I did indeed get another siege with a whole bunch of goblins and trolls, but not a single mount.  I guess when Stasost got captured, all the creatures she tamed became unavailable to the local goblins?

Also I decided to strip her entirely and put her cage in the middle of our meeting hall near the well.  If only I could install disco lights above her glass cage.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 05:53:46 am »

Ewww, naked goblins!

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:10 am »

Not that I necessarily need to know... but how do you strip a goblin? 
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:11 am »

Put the goblin cage into a battle arena, link it to a lever,
put 1-2 squads of military dwarves into the arena and open the cage...
a short time afterwards you are able to strip the resulting goblin corpse of all its belongings

:D

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:36 am »

Ewww, naked goblins!

Yeah, but you know there's certainly a website for that somewhere.

Not that I necessarily need to know... but how do you strip a goblin?

With your eyes closed.

Ba-dum-bum.

If you examine the cage contents, you only see the goblin, not their inventory so that doesn't work.  Instead, bulk-dump (d-b-d) and hide (d-b-h) over the cage they are in.  This will mark the cage, and everything in it, to be dumped; you hide it all so you can tell the difference between the goblin's things and other things you might actually want dumped.  Then go to the stocks screen (z-stocks) and undump/unhide the cage and anything else you might want the goblin to keep.

Like just her leather boots and gloves.  Then you can put her in a glass cage with spotlights ... eh heh ... *ahem* sorry...

Your dwarves will come along and take their stuff and dump it.  Then you go back to stocks and unforbid it after it's been dumped and they'll retrieve and store it.

Generally you use this to undump everything but their weapons.  Then you can chuck the goblin into your barracks for training your military without the goblin having a weapon to fight with and risk actually hurting your military.  Leave their armor and all so they will last (slightly) longer against the soldiers so they get slightly more xp.  For axe, sword or spear soldiers you can temporarily give them wooden weapons and the fight can last a while and they will get really nice weapon skill-ups.  I've had a single axedwarf go from like Adequate all the way through to Competent with a single wooden axe sparring session that lasted a minute or so real-time.  Unfortunately there's no such thing as a "Training hammer."

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 09:19:16 am »

Ewww, naked goblins!

Yeah, but you know there's certainly a website for that somewhere.

Seriously, you almost made me go Google it >.<

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:09 am »

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a "Training hammer."
Wouldn't an adamantine hammer suffice for endless rounds of whack-a-captured-goblin-leader ?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:43 am »

Use a wooden sword or something like that.

It should inflict many bruises.
Pages: [1] 2 3