Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help a noob?  (Read 1552 times)

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help a noob?
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:24:22 am »

Alright, so after hearing about it on my favorite TF2 server,(especially the freeware part of it), and how much I love building games, I thought it'd be perfect. I booted it up and it looked very complicated, so I came to the forum and found the utter noob guide or whatever. Anyway, I started following it, and when I tried to get my guys to build themselves a nice mine, only one left to actually do it. Alright, I'll give some time to do that too, so I assigned some guys to start cutting down trees in the immediate radius of my soon to be uber amazing castle/mine. Only one left. Alright, I say, this game will take patience, we'll see how it goes, I look to see the progress of my mine, and see that the guy cant even dig all of it, as he only seems to dig bits and piece that he wants, making not a big hall, but tiny small corridors that would be very bad for optomization of my labor forces. I iz confuzzled, SOS!!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help a noob?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:26:31 am »

v p l to assign labor. If you want to dig faster, embark with 4 picks instead of the 1/2 that you get by default and use v p l to assign "mining" to 4 dwarfs.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:30:13 am »

You have to check to see how many picks/axes that you brought with you
A dwarf won't mine/chop wood without having one of these
Yeah, you need to designate as the guy said above
and they mine in strange shapes cause dwarves are constantly drunk =D
don't worry, they'll mine out the entire place you designated eventually, its just that they're not very systematic about it
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:37:14 am »

Didn't help with the labor, I still have one miner, and 4 pickaxes.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:38:46 am »

Peasants and non-miners can mine. They just won't look like miners.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42:48 am »

Yeah, just pick a new guy and give him the mining labor.

Note: A dwarf cannot have both the mining and tree cutting labors.

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:45:14 am »

Just forget this thread, I give up. I tried to assign another person to mine, at which point the current miner apperently thought it was time to quit working, and left. On top of school, I don't need the frustation dealing with this. Thanks for all your help guys.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:45:37 am »

Kay, bye.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:56:12 am »

Wow 20 minutes and he quit? I bet it's in his head right now. He'll get annoyed that a stupid game beat him and a few weeks from now he'll try again, so as to regain his manhood. I think it'll be try number 3 when he gets it. Place your bets!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 03:00:29 am »

Obviously bbad89 failed his patience roll ;)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:00:52 am »

It was the second try when i actually figured it out, but thats 'cos i found the tutorials :D, and mike maydays graphics.
First one was all ascii and confusion everywhere...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:04:51 am »

bbad has poor willpower, and a poor ability to concentrate.

:D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:20:41 am »

Remember the 2 rules that many people follow...

1: If something is hard its not worth trying.

2: If you arent good at something straight away, then quit.

This is why there are so many games out there that are generic, formularic, derivative and ultimatley unfulfilling. Count how many first person shooters there are as a good example.
This is a blank sig.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 03:23:01 am »

Okay guys, lets not be too hard on him. The game DOES have a steep learning curve.

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 03:23:19 am »

I tried this game a couple of years ago, stared at it bewilderingly then deleted the file.
The picture tutorial is of a superior quality, it is encrusted with humour and menaces with spikes of information. On the tutorial is an image of humans suddenly figuring out Dwarf Fortress in awe by TinyPirate.

This is a pretty fun game and actually seems a lot simpler than other strategy games I've played like Civilization or Europa Universalis, which can take up to a week to get the knack of (in my experience!).
Pages: [1] 2 3