Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help a noob?  (Read 1546 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: Help a noob?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 03:52:07 am »

Okay guys, lets not be too hard on him. The game DOES have a steep learning curve.

I wasn't being hard on him, just teasing a little. I actually dropped it twice before saying, ok one more try. Getting it running was a pita the first two times. First time, black screen forever. Second time, oh blah this creation thing takes to long. Third time, fuck you, I will play this damn game if it kills me! It didn't.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 07:22:10 am »

Maybe he didnt assign stockpiles?And sounds like he didnt have enough picks thats why other dwarf quit.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:28 am »

I don't think he planned his embark.  OP if you are still reading: you need to start over and prepare for your journey carefully.  You will be given a chanse to choose how many miners and axes to start with.

If you are confused what your dwarfs are doingn, press (u) to observe thir jobs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »

I don't think he planned his embark.  OP if you are still reading: you need to start over and prepare for your journey carefully.  You will be given a chanse to choose how many miners and axes to start with.

If you are confused what your dwarfs are doingn, press (u) to observe thir jobs.
Even if he did Play Now! he'd have had two picks.

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 12:43:09 pm »

Wow, well this is awkward. Anyway, I got it working. My little mountain castle is underway! And I just didn't understand how to assign labor, as I accidently de-assigned my miner. And yea, I planned my embark, I have 4 pickaxes I believe. And thanks for your kind words :|

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:22 pm »

Wow, well this is awkward. Anyway, I got it working. My little mountain castle is underway! And I just didn't understand how to assign labor, as I accidently de-assigned my miner. And yea, I planned my embark, I have 4 pickaxes I believe. And thanks for your kind words :|
No worries, the community here isn't terribly tolerant of people who play the game for 10 minutes, don't actually try to understand it, then delete it.

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:25 pm »

Also, how do I change the job after I assign someone to labor? All I can do is mining, which is fine if my dwarves want to live on stone alone, but not good for much else. I press V, find someone I want to work somewhere, press p, then L for labor, but I can't select anything else than mining.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »

the + and - keys on the keypad should scroll up and down the list.

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 01:01:03 pm »

In the tut, it says to press p for gathering plants to make a farm. Nothing happens.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 01:06:01 pm »

In the tut, it says to press p for gathering plants to make a farm. Nothing happens.
Which tutorial are you using?

d->p does indeed designate an area for plant gathering but has nothing to do with establishing a farm. It tells anyone with plant gathering labor to begin harvesting highlighted wild plantlife, like surface shrubs.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 01:06:09 pm »

First press d from the designation menu (like digging, if you press it outside, it will be automatically set to t for chop trees) then press p then move the cursor to one corner of an area you want, press return, move the cursor to another point and press return again. The area inbetween should now be marked for plant gathering.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 01:08:05 pm »

And to make a farming area, use b->p to build a farm plot. the ukmh (I think) keys let you resize it.

Note, to farm underground you must muddy the ground before building the farm by having water wash over it. This can be done by digging into a water source or pumping it in.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 01:16:57 pm »

At least for underground farms...
for aboveground farms you just need soil
(but for these you have to have first seeds for aboveground plants, obtainable by human or elven traders...those that you brought with you are all underground plants).

Also you will find eventually find caverns when you dig deep enough...
they also contain, aside from dangerous critters, soil that you can use for building farm plots right away

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »

The caverns contain mud, not soil. A small but important difference. :)

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »

well I found what I thought was a little pool of water in my mountain, and I decided to build a channel from it to my farm room. BIG mistake....
Pages: 1 [2] 3