Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84036 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Paul Atreides VS Ezio Auditore
« Reply #795 on: October 29, 2010, 07:55:26 pm »

Although he does end up more overpowered for a large part of his timeline, that is why we are using a version of him from before he becomes overpowered.

You have to remember that neither character would know who they are fighting. Saying that paul would win because he would be able to perfectly predict ezio's movements would require him to have prescience, but we are taking paul before he has prescience. Even if he does gather information about ezio and his methods, I'm not going to accept that he uses a strategy tailored specifically to counter ezio when there are thirty other people he could be fighting.

I'm also going to rule that the shields respect momentum. If you hit a shield user with a massive hammer, for example, although they might not be injured, they would be forced backwards.

The shield provide a visible indication that they are active, as can be seen:
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
The same visual effect I imagine would alter what the user sees somewhat.

Here's a potential rundown of how I imagine the beginning would be like (it is very open to change, though):
-Paul and ezio enter the island.
-They both start sneaking around the island, paul with his shield active
-Since paul has his senses somewhat altered with the shield, and ezio is a master sneaker, ezio would see the shield, and thus know that it is either paul or duncan he is facing
-Ezio retreats, and tries to set up some sort of trap that would incapacitate a shield user (such as a heavy weight pinning them down)
-once paul comes near the trap, ezio attracts him into coming into approaching
-Paul, upon seeing ezio, uses his prana-bindu techniques and approaches.
-Paul, with his heightened awareness and perceptiveness, avoids the trap and engages ezio
-If ezio can surprise paul by using his hidden blades and grappling, he would win. If not, paul would win.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:27 pm »

Ezio does have access to powerful hammers. It's within reason that he might be able to smash Paul off a cliff if he got a good hit in.

@lemon: You REALLY don't get it. It's kind of disappointing. The shield on its own is stupidly overpowered, but you can still get through it. But even before prescience, Paul is some sort of perfect researcher with intensely honed combat skills (apparently crafted by the other entrant, in fact) that you lot claim can instantly know exactly how to beat anyone thanks to perfect memory. Even without the shield he would be a perfect match for Ezio. Your suggestion to strip Ezio is frankly selfish, as you can't seem to figure out the very blatant problem with Paul being in this contest to begin with.

And for the record, at the start of this match-up I knew little about Paul, and had no reason to suspect he would be this insanely powered of a character. However, over the course of this debate knew little abilities keep popping up that further cement him in the "walking cliche" status that would forbid him from entry. When your character is completely unhurt by a smack from Sauron, the Lord of the Rings, there's something wrong.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »

He would not get it instantly. As far as I can tell, it does require time, just not much (a few minutes) also, he would have to know who his opponent was, which he does not. Ezio does have a chance. knock him off a cliff and drop a boulder on him or something, and your good. or sneak up on him, wait for him to stop to rest, and stab him in the face. hell, he could modify the HB to extend slow enough to not activate the shield, or have Leonardo do it when he figures out about the shield ("Hey, I need to kill a guy from the future, could you modify the hidden blade to go slow enough to get through his shield?")
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:24 pm »

@ed boy, the sheild doesn't look like that (primary differences are that sheild is skin tight, and im pretty sure that its see through, since important people wear it all the time), that movie is a bit... stupid, and has changes to the book (eg. weirding way is some kinda bizzare sound attack). i will agree however that a sheild would be fairly obvious looking at paul, and allow ezio to see paul first. also, hidden blades would be kind of useless if paul just shoots him with a lasgun as soon as he sees him
@cj paul should never have even been brought into the contest in the first place, however there are characters significantly stronger then ezio (eg. vindicare assasin is like a super ezio in pretty much every way, and is completely invisible in every spectrum).  and yeah paul is too strong to be here, but ed boy, did put him in the contest regardless. the mentat skills wouldn't be nearly that strong, with a hour to research i doubt even a mentat would be able to get any info on ezio that would be reliable, mabey with a week or a month, but he doesn't have that, it would help with combat analysis and fighting technique, but i think thats about all he could use mentat skills for.

also as for my suggestion to strip ezio, it was partially a joke, but more of a refering to you taking away his sheild (which is more then equal to ezio's armor), and his precience (which is more then equal to any weapon that ezio could use). and lighten up dude, saying it was "frankly selfish" is overreacting a bit

however, if ed let the hulk into this contest, yes he would be about 100 times as strong as everyone else, but would still be in the contest and it would be a bit too late to to argue that he is crazy op, something that should have been argued before the contest started (which the hulk  is)

yeah he could ask leo to do that, but it would be useless against 29 out of 31 opponents (and the slowness might make it actually less efective against everyone else), rendering it a bit meaningless so he probably wouldn't do that. and if paul brings a suspender (levitating device), a fall from a cliff wouldn't hurt him, and he could just move out of the way of the boulder with the weirding way.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 29, 2010, 08:43:11 pm »

Well lemon, with only text (not even smilies) I had excessively little to go on to suggest that you might be joking. It just looked like someone who didn't really understand what they were saying.

But listen, just because we underestimated Paul and let him in the contest doesn't mean that he can't be taken out. That's the exact situation a disqualification refers to. Someone who isn't even in the contest can't be disqualified from it. It seems like every time you say there's something that can hurt Paul, you also come up with something that entirely discredits it. The only way to hurt him that you've admitted is John's Freaky Time Shit. That puts Paul on par with a certain individual known as Lord English. That's... bad. Obviously he's not as powerful, but I'm having trouble seeing any actual vulnerabilities.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 29, 2010, 09:09:45 pm »

yeah, not being able to convey sarcasm/humor on the internet sometimes is annoying :(

paul is significantly weaker then lord english yeah, but i suppose that he IS the most powerful person in this contest by a fair margin (excluding john). and as such there are no vulnerabilities, the only way to attack him is in melee, and paul has a great ranged weapon, and is badass in melee as well (which the sheild also helps with).

actually armstrong might be able to beat paul, if he could close he could transmute pauls sheild/body into rock or something

john would be able to beat him easily, he could make and use a mirror suit to stop the laser and use his ghost hands to grap onto paul's arms and rip him apart.
infact considering it i think that john is probably too powerful for this contest as well. if paul is removed i think that john would have to be as well
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 29, 2010, 09:17:40 pm »

yeah, not being able to convey sarcasm/humor on the internet sometimes is annoying :(

paul is significantly weaker then lord english yeah, but i suppose that he IS the most powerful person in this contest by a fair margin (excluding john). and as such there are no vulnerabilities, the only way to attack him is in melee, and paul has a great ranged weapon, and is badass in melee as well (which the sheild also helps with).

actually armstrong might be able to beat paul, if he could close he could transmute pauls sheild/body into rock or something

john would be able to beat him easily, he could make and use a mirror suit to stop the laser and use his ghost hands to grap onto paul's arms and rip him apart.
infact considering it i think that john is probably too powerful for this contest as well. if paul is removed i think that john would have to be as well

Well actually, John isn't able to use his super-big hammers and possibly the gloves as well. That, and he can actually be hit. While he's extremely strong and tough (apparently the echeladder makes him superhuman as he goes higher up, or at least that's my understanding) he's still vulnerable to weapons, and I'm certain a few bullets would kill him.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 29, 2010, 09:30:22 pm »

lol so everyone able to get through the sheild somehow has been nerfed so that they cant break through.
so unnerfed john, power ranger guy and mabey armstrong are pretty much the only ones who could beat paul.
well, thats about all my arguments, i guess its up to ed boy to either disqualify paul or give him the win.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 29, 2010, 09:53:47 pm »

Kikaida could knock out his shield with an Electromagnetic End.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 29, 2010, 10:04:32 pm »

what is electromagnetic end?
also what abilities does Kikaider have? his wikipedia page isn't very clear and i can't find other info on him.
EDIT:ugh, the longer this goes on, the more i think that abilities need to be defined and listed before the fighting starts, since it would prevent op people and make everyone agree on abilities
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:12:48 pm by lemon10 »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 29, 2010, 10:59:25 pm »

It's like an EMP, but it doesn't include Kikaida in it. Also, ed boy still hasn't updated Kikaida with this link yet. He should do that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 30, 2010, 01:10:12 am »

If Armstrong makes it to fighting against Paul, I think he'd have a good chance at winning.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 30, 2010, 02:00:05 am »

if paul passes this round he'll fight armstrong next, who already won his round
EDIT: just read vindicare assasin vs cat dude fight. made me kinda sad that nobody was arguing for the assasin, who (according to the info on his wiki page which i suppose nobody bothered to read or something) should have totally kicked the cats ass :( EDIT2: well in my opinion at least, but whatever he already lost.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:25:53 am by lemon10 »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 30, 2010, 11:13:34 am »

To be honest I myself did underestimate Paul's fighting abilities when submitting him. I never considered that the Weirding way would be so powerful that it would enable him to beat everyone else. My original reasoning for bringing the shield is was that that's pretty much the only way to give a melee fighter a fighting chance against those characters that use ranged weapons.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 30, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »

If Armstrong makes it to fighting against Paul, I think he'd have a good chance at winning.
Wait a second, did that last fight get decided because Armstrong deconstructed his opponent? Is that not the cheapest ability ever? Control over matter itself?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 98