Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How do stop being mediocre?  (Read 7630 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Re: How do stop being mediocre?
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

Oh god I love you internet.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »

Man, I should write a self help book, I am so pro at this. Good to hear you're feeling better, Huesoo.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »

Man, I should write a self help book, I am so pro at this. Good to hear you're feeling better, Huesoo.

Thanks alot man, I might also start drinking Red Bull aswell at every meal, do you think its a good idea?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 01:12:24 pm »

Thanks alot man, I might also start drinking Red Bull aswell at every meal, do you think its a good idea?

You got the right idea, but Red Bull's pretty harsh. You might want to cut that shit with some liquid MDMA.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »

Sounds good man, thanks a lot.

WhiskerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2010, 02:21:41 pm »

holy shit i'm sorry i'm late but dude don't do drugs that's like the worst thing ever. if you do do drugs i don't think you should take red bull and cocaine simultaneously seriously. people die when they do that kind of stuff.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2010, 02:48:29 pm »

Hey man, I never said he should do Red Bull and cocaine, that's just suicide. I said he should take Red Bull and Ecstasy. That's just, like...lunch.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »

"I'm lazy and apathetic and like to seek validation from the internet."

"Just take some Redbull and Meth. Self-realization is over-rated."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:34 am »

I dont know, I want to be better at science. Im already doing Year 10 Science when im in Year 9, Accelerated Science as its called. But I want I want to be better.

You don't sound that mediocre. Mediocre is doing a non science stream :P

I dunno.. B12ers seem to be overambitious, not surprising seeing how DF itself is overambitious. While most of the indie community out there is making tower defense games and platformers, B12 makes frigging life simulations. Most of the fans around here have similar overambitions too. They fall a bit short and think lowly of themselves. I'm getting failing grades in an elite school. I keep thinking of myself as mediocre, until I find that I could do many technical things better than most top scorers from easier schools. I'd bet that many of the ones trolling this thread feel a similar way.

It's not so much that you're being bad at stuff, but you're just halfway towards getting to your ambitions. There's a lot of stupid people who say "You can achieve anything as long as you work for it." Well, no, there's always going to be someone smarter and better than you are at anything. I've met people who get 98% grades from top schools, sing better than many Idols, play football better, look more attractive than most people, then they go out and get within the top 5% salary on graduation. They hang out with the same people as me, play the same games, are about as lazy.

But heck, they do things consistently. And if you work consistently at whatever you're trying to achieve, you should get there too. Just not as far as people who had a head start.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 10:50:11 am »

holy shit i'm sorry i'm late but dude don't do drugs that's like the worst thing ever. if you do do drugs i don't think you should take red bull and cocaine simultaneously seriously. people die when they do that kind of stuff.

I take more drugs than there are in your bathroom cabinet.

And thanks Muz, that really cleared up my mind and helped knowing that there are others who are like me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »

But heck, they do things consistently. And if you work consistently at whatever you're trying to achieve, you should get there too. Just not as far as people who had a head start.
I am not sure about the validity of it, but some studies suggest that, with minor variations, it takes about 10.000 hours of practice to become extremely good at anything. Any differences between people don't come over the noise threshold (probably 5% chance that the variation can't be attributed to chance).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 09:51:12 pm »

If you're feeling mediocre or average at everything, a good way to get out of that rut is to start trying to become really bad at a few things. Eventually it'll all balance out and other stuff you do will being becoming above-average. Min-maxing FTW.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 10:28:55 pm »

I gave up my ability to dance for a point of Wisdom, and two points of Strength and Charisma for three points of Intellect.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 03:59:39 am »

At first, I saw that Huesoo was posting and I was all

Then I read the first post and I was all

And then I read Dwarf mc Dwarf's post at the bottom of page one and I was all

I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 04:04:40 am »

D mc D is made of awesome, is why.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5