Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How do stop being mediocre?  (Read 7627 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do stop being mediocre?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »

Alright, my sleepy mind is telling me to ask you: you view yourself as average, but you tell me honestly, what do you picture as IDEAL. What is the form that would allow you to stop feeling mediocre?

I dont know really, stop being so lazy?

Amphetamines. You'll be getting so much stuff done you won't even notice the acute paranoia and heart palpitations.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »

Alright, my sleepy mind is telling me to ask you: you view yourself as average, but you tell me honestly, what do you picture as IDEAL. What is the form that would allow you to stop feeling mediocre?

If you have the answer then why are you asking us the question?

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 04:45:27 pm »

How do I stop being so lazy?
If you have the answer then why are you asking us the question?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 04:56:40 pm »

A first step would at least be to pretend you're not lazy. That means rereading your posts and make sure everything is all right before leaving the thread :P .

Anyway, the best way is to set realistic goals. Keep everything well-defined. Long term tasks should be divided into smaller short-term tasks as much of possible. That way you'll get a feeling of progress more easily then when you've only got a vague idea of where you're going. Next, make a list of what you want to do and set some rewards for completing good parts of it. Like, when you've finally finished that damn school project, buy yourself a good beer. It would probably also be a good idea of keeping a list of what you've already done, that way you get a feeling of "whoa I've done all of that already", which helps as well. 
Recurring tasks can be a menace because they just keep coming and you never really finish them, but I don't really know how to alleviate that. Perhaps schedule everything so that you can do a bunch of recurring tasks in a row and then reward yourself for it by having fries for diner or something. As you see, the rewards don't need to be big, as long as you like them. Smaller rewards are probably even better to prevent overloading yourself.

Do note that I don't actually follow these guidelines, so take them with a grain of salt if you will.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 05:07:58 pm »

Using the power of flowcharts :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 05:23:02 pm »

What Amphetamines so you recommend?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:21 pm »

Pal Erdos (a great mathematician) spent most of his adult life on benzadrine + coffee and wound up dying at 86 or 87--can't remember which.

That said, he was nuttier than a squirrel, lived out of half a suitcase, and never had a permanent address.  He was like the great homeless mathematician or something, to go with all the mathematicians who get thrown into jail and come out proclaiming: "it was so relaxing in there!  No distractions!  I did some of the best work of my life."

Seriously, don't take the easy way out.  The effort will be far, far more rewarding in the end, and it's precisely this sort of attitude that is making you lazy.  More energy won't help you unless you have somewhere to direct it to.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 05:49:16 pm »

Dexfenfluramine would be a good starting point ;)

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 05:28:57 am »

I know how you feel Huesoo. I'm pretty much average at just about everything as well. I'm still looking for that one thing I'm gonna be amazing at because I know I deserve it, and you'll probably find something you're a badass at too. Because with all the bad, there must be something good.

rite?

rite?

I think this is a good example of how you'll never be amazing at anything. :)

You don't just "become" amazing out of the blue. You don't wake up one day with all of the skills and the network to do something extraordinary. You have to sit down, work your ass off, and then reap the rewards. Sitting around all day "waiting for that one thing I deserve to be badass at" is exactly what's going to end up with you being badass at nothing.

So yeah, the only way out of being lazy is to just... Stop being lazy. What do you want to do? Do it. Is there something you're bad at, that you wish you were good at? Practise until you're good.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 07:38:56 am »

I dont know, I want to be better at science. Im already doing Year 10 Science when im in Year 9, Accelerated Science as its called. But I want I want to be better.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »

My personal advice would be to go out and do something different. Stand out from the crowd! Then you have your mediocre problem solved. For example, when you next go to hang out with some friends, be it at school or out of school, leave them for a day and randomly hang out with someone else.

As for laziness, I 'd reccomend a military camp of some sort. I just came back from a week long trip to Summer Swynnerton with the air cadets and it really teaches you to be disciplined!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 04:52:49 pm »

My personal advice would be to go out and do something different. Stand out from the crowd! Then you have your mediocre problem solved. For example, when you next go to hang out with some friends, be it at school or out of school, leave them for a day and randomly hang out with someone else.

As for laziness, I 'd reccomend a military camp of some sort. I just came back from a week long trip to Summer Swynnerton with the air cadets and it really teaches you to be disciplined!

No thanks man, im taking benzadrine and cocaine, you have no idea how much things I get done now. The benzadrine enlarges my nasal passages so I can snort more cocaine and do it faster, I do so much stuff now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 04:54:46 pm »

Please tell me you're being sarcastic?.....

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 09:07:09 am »

^

I am 80% sure he is.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile