Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: Wizard Duel 4 - Duel 7 - Game over! All Hail Criptfeind!  (Read 51024 times)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel 4 - Day 1 Assist Phase
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

Lonewofl but answer me this
IS it neccesary to assist?

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2010, 10:14:44 am »

Is it necessary for the doc to protect?  For the cop to inspect?

Your assist is a tool to hunt scum, to defend those you don't believe are scum, or simply to test the waters in an effort to find someone's affinity.  Not using it is usually, if not always, a waste of potential data.

Now quit stalling for time and give a complete explanation of your reasoning behind this action.  A gut feeling, or lack of one, isn't going to cut it.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2010, 10:18:08 am »

As Lonewolf has stated, if you aren't assisting, you aren't helping town. Basically.

Now I have to rage at Ottofar.
Lurklurklurklurklurk assist with no reasonings then lurk until round is over.

Not doing it right. So get in here, you scumbucket.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

Holy hell I was going to do a read though of the game and try to make a big long post but shiiiiiit I think I found something and so I am going to post it undone for now. Vector is scum. Solly may be scum or Vector may just be buddying.

This way, you either elect a leader with the Political Acumen to avoid conflicts and get others to fight for you, or someone with enough power to maintain order even if everyone hates you... so as far as stability is concerned, it's win-win.

Solly, why does it seem that half your posts are worthless bantering designed to get people off track?

Shades of stupid OMGUS.

I really did want to know. My browser distorted it. Anyway that was a random vote in my first post, migt as well be for you.

Sounds like he's trying to stifle discussion, to be honest.  He made way too big a deal out of Solifuge's question, while ignoring Toaster's equivalent query.

Okay. That makes sense. HEY EVERYBODY WHAT IS YOUR ROLE? TELL ME FOR "DISCUSSION!"

And I can not believe I missed this the first time but Toaster never said anything of the sort. At all. Ever. I wish it was still vote phase so that I can vote you because I feel dumb for not immediately getting you into the ring for such a blatant lie.

Toaster had 2 posts at that point: 1st 2ed

None of them were anything like that at all. Not only that but NO ONE said anything like that ever... other then Solifuge during the Random voting phase.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2010, 12:54:39 pm »

I'm sorry, Criptfeind, but you seem to be sort of negligent when it comes to this post:

Vector, if you could pick War Mage, Battle Mage, Warrior Mage, or Time Mage, which would you pick and why?

It happened.  Now unbunch your underwear.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2010, 12:57:53 pm »

I'm sorry, Criptfeind, but you seem to be sort of negligent when it comes to this post:

Vector, if you could pick War Mage, Battle Mage, Warrior Mage, or Time Mage, which would you pick and why?

It happened.  Now unbunch your underwear.
YOU AINT GO NO PANCAKE MIX.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »

THAT MAY BE BECAUSE I EAT CREPES FOR BREAKFAST.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2010, 01:43:03 pm »

Okay then. Well.Ops. Let me fix that.

Holy hell I was going to do a read though of the game and try to make a big long post but shiiiiiit I think I found something and so I am going to post it undone for now. Vector is scum. Solly may be scum or Vector may just be buddying.

This way, you either elect a leader with the Political Acumen to avoid conflicts and get others to fight for you, or someone with enough power to maintain order even if everyone hates you... so as far as stability is concerned, it's win-win.

Solly, why does it seem that half your posts are worthless bantering designed to get people off track?

Shades of stupid OMGUS.

I really did want to know. My browser distorted it. Anyway that was a random vote in my first post, migt as well be for you.

Sounds like he's trying to stifle discussion, to be honest.  He made way too big a deal out of Solifuge's question, while ignoring Toaster's equivalent query.

Okay. That makes sense. HEY EVERYBODY WHAT IS YOUR ROLE? TELL ME FOR "DISCUSSION!"

And I can not believe I missed this the first time but Toaster never said anything of the sort. At all. Ever. I wish it was still vote phase so that I can vote you because I feel dumb for not immediately getting you into the ring for such a blatant lie.

Toaster had 3 posts at that point: 1st 2ed 3rd

None of them were anything like that at all. Not only that but NO ONE said anything like that ever... other then Solifuge during the Random voting phase.

Ah you can see you are totally off the hook... no wait that has nothing to do the fact that you lied.

That is in to way shape or form a equivalent question.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2010, 01:48:58 pm »

Are you really so stupid that you can't understand this?

Allow me to be perfectly clear.  I'm talking about Solifuge's "So, what do you think is the best affinity?" question.

Each of Toaster's mentioned roles is (to my knowledge) balanced with the others, so that the real distinction is--once again--affinity.  To be sure, he didn't ask everyone that question, but it is basically the same deal, when you come down to it.  It's just hidden under another level of fog.

So yes, I consider it an equivalent question, and my "this player may be affinity-fishing!" mental tag popped up both times.  There is no lie, though there may be an alternative perception.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2010, 01:55:41 pm »

No what. What the fuck.

There are two differences here.

1: Toaster asked nothing about affinity, this does not affect his scumatued but it sure effects yours when you say that he did.
"this player may be affinity-fishing!"
He said nothing AT ALL about affinity.

2: He asked what they WANTED not what they HAD. Or rather he asked what they wanted in a thing they have no control over and Solly asked what they wanted in a thing they had complete control over.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »

I have learned I shouldn't be playing mafia when mad at somebody. Or tired. Or both. I'm going to look through the thread tomorrow. Perhaps attempt to WoT.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2010, 02:02:02 pm »

1: Toaster asked nothing about affinity, this does not affect his scumatued but it sure effects yours when you say that he did.
"this player may be affinity-fishing!"
He said nothing AT ALL about affinity.

2: He asked what they WANTED not what they HAD. Or rather he asked what they wanted in a thing they have no control over and Solly asked what they wanted in a thing they had complete control over.

Again: WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?  This is very, very simple.

It's like... it's like this.

Someone asks "Do you want to be a nurse, cop, soldier, or farmer when you grow up?"

Someone else asks "What is most important to you: healing, law, killing your enemies, or producing food?"

Let's also pretend these are the only professions and interests in the world, for the sake of argument.  Now, can you understand how these two questions are related and effectively equivalent?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2010, 02:06:31 pm »

I mean, seriously.  This is the basic of symbolic associative thought.  The links are even all written out for you.  It's like knowing that heat and illumination are associated with fire, and redemption/cleansing with rain, fertility and stillness with the earth, mystery and transience with the sky.

Simple.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2010, 02:10:44 pm »

Assist Solifuge's Defense with Earth.

This is how you do it, right?

Actually, this is really hard for me to read. Could people instead do this: Assist Solifuge's Defense with Earth

That makes it easy for me to spot and makes the assists stand out from all of the quotes that have to do with votes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2010, 02:25:09 pm »

Is it necessary for the doc to protect?  For the cop to inspect?

Your assist is a tool to hunt scum, to defend those you don't believe are scum, or simply to test the waters in an effort to find someone's affinity.  Not using it is usually, if not always, a waste of potential data.
As Lonewolf has stated, if you aren't assisting, you aren't helping town. Basically.

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down everybody.

Assisting is not necessary. Not assisting provides just as much information about yourself to other people as assisting does, and since all people are looking for is a reason for your actions, you do not have to assist if you have a good reason to do so.

Now, you could argue that there is no good reason not to assist, but I would disagree. If you don't have a stake in the duel, you think both contestants are very strong town, or equally scummy scum, or the people you were voting do not end up in the ring, then you could probably justify a no assist. If you also just want to see what the duel turns up on its own without any assists, that obviously requires not assisting too.

For example, if there was a duel between Jetsquirrel and Ottofar, I would be hard pressed to find any reason to assist either of them. I would likely not assist if a situation like that came up.

There's no hard and fast rule that says everybody must assist. Play it by ear, basically.

It's more important to know the why of an action than the actual action itself, and since Jetsquirrel did not provide the why, he can't get away with not assisting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43