Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: DF Mythbusters 2010  (Read 8650 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mythbusters 2010
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 11:30:33 am »

Sorry for the double post, but I have fairly definitive proof FBs can't destroy grates above them. I have a FB swimming about underneath some grates in my fort. The grate is being used as my water source (or it was before the FB kept scaring everyone), so there is obvious activity to lure the FB in. They are 1z level above the water, and before they were in place, a different FB got in through that very same spot.

The grates remain undamaged.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 12:54:58 pm »

I think you can avoid announcement spam from "no suitable water source" if you designate a drinkable water source as drinking zone, then set the options to "drink zone only"
Right - that part I forgot to mention.  The zone that I set over the well does not have water source as an option, probably because the well is salty.  Yet the dwarves still drink from it.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I have fairly definitive proof FBs can't destroy grates above them. I have a FB swimming about underneath some grates in my fort. The grate is being used as my water source (or it was before the FB kept scaring everyone), so there is obvious activity to lure the FB in. They are 1z level above the water, and before they were in place, a different FB got in through that very same spot.

The grates remain undamaged.
I would like to add that not just this, but with trolls at least they can't even open an unlocked floor hatch. My guess is the troll is trying to destroy it, but can't. Either that or trolls can't open doors, they can only destroy them, which would explain this behavior.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:24 pm »

I believe they do, but they aren't ignited by magma, you need to use the magma to set something else (say a log, or some clothing) on fire, & let that light 'em up.
actually, trees are treated as a natural wall object (seeing as how they can cave in) so they can only be killed by axe gobs

Can axe gobs actually destroy trees? 40d they couldn't. It may have changed, but I don't remember anything in the devnotes about it happening, yet. Wasn't that stuff coming in "improved sieges"? How on earth do we even test that one?

Build a fort with an outer wall that intentionally incorporates a tree as part of its perimeter, but has NO other entrances. If the axegobs beeline for the tree and whack it, then you know they can. Otherwise, no they can't.

Of course, in the current build it could be years before you ever SEE an axe-goblin, but that's a different matter.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:30 pm »

I believe they do, but they aren't ignited by magma, you need to use the magma to set something else (say a log, or some clothing) on fire, & let that light 'em up.
actually, trees are treated as a natural wall object (seeing as how they can cave in) so they can only be killed by axe gobs

Can axe gobs actually destroy trees? 40d they couldn't. It may have changed, but I don't remember anything in the devnotes about it happening, yet. Wasn't that stuff coming in "improved sieges"? How on earth do we even test that one?

Build a fort with an outer wall that intentionally incorporates a tree as part of its perimeter, but has NO other entrances. If the axegobs beeline for the tree and whack it, then you know they can. Otherwise, no they can't.

Of course, in the current build it could be years before you ever SEE an axe-goblin, but that's a different matter.
holy crap where did axe gobs come fro- *looks at own post*

'You smack your forehead with your palm, denting the skull!'

how the hell did i type that out? sorry about that... *goes and fixes*

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »

About latching onto the sky, is it possible to have a block of obsidian attached to the sky, with another block attached below forming stairs?
I.E.
-----
  O
  X_________

O = wall
X = stairs

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »

THIS IS AN EXPLANATION FOR BUILDING DESTROYERS NOT DESTROYING UP

The game sees the beast as being on a single plane. This plane is the floor, and the beast can interact with things on the same plane and adjacent ones, e.g. objects, hatches, etc. and has the ability to move up and down planes. Moving up and down planes, however, is only possible with the proper means, being stairs and ramps.

When a building destroyer wants to go up, the only thing programmed is the basic "dwarf" functions; working, fighting, and moving. As such, the building destroyer doesn't know how to destroy up because the code doesn't tell him it can. I'm sure there are more accurate responses written by someone with knowledge of programming, but I'm only a humble philosopher.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2010, 12:52:22 am »

I'd always heard that upright spikes had no effect on things that fell on them, until recently I saw somebody said that the opposite was true and pointed at the wiki as back up.  The wiki discussion on upright spikes said that there was combat log evidence, but I wasn't certain so I decided to try it myself.  I embarked with a bundle of cats, logs, and training spears, and can confirm that yes, creatures falling on upright spears get attacked by the spears.  It seems that it requires a fall from at least 3 z-levels above the spear, though, which may have been throwing people off.

As my evidence:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I know, and getting goblins to fall down three levels on to menacing spikes is half the battle.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2010, 02:19:13 am »

I was just about to go correct that in the wiki-

I tested this not too long ago by throwing stray cows onto the upright spears. No results.

I only tested from one z-level higher than the spears themselves though.

Nice find.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2010, 04:10:00 am »

Good to know...
sounds like I will have to immediately deconstruct the upright spears/spikes that I planted next to a 1 level high platform with weapon traps, with the intention of impaling every goblin who jumps off the platform to avoid the traps

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »

Hehe that was me that made that wiki edit I think.   And after discovering that the spikes work that way and posted the epiphany on the wiki I discovered that it only works when they fall from more than 1 z-level.  (2 and more seems to work but it might be effected by creature size)   The wiki makes me nervous though, I'm always worried I'll edit something wrong and break the whole wiki.  So I never got around to updating the entry.

EDIT: Updated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:26:53 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2010, 12:29:23 am »

An update on the constructed floor tiles and underground plants - yes, constructed floor prevents all forms of underground plant growth.  Certain constructions with "empty space", like a raised bridge, will allow small undergrowth type plants in the empty space, but not trees.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]