Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DF Mythbusters 2010  (Read 8651 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: DF Mythbusters 2010
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 04:33:54 pm »

Why would you think a well needs to be next to a wall?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 05:40:14 pm »

Err, Floor. sorry about that. Fixing...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 06:08:25 pm »

Off Topic: Iceball3, what is your avatar?

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »

The wiki said that wells do not purify water anymore.  I haven't actually tested it though.
The wiki is actually right - wells do not purify water.  I have a dwarf permanently stuck in bed with a lopped off foot in a ocean side fort.  I have seen dwarves get water from a well with water in the bucket labeled as laced with salt for the injured dwarf.  Here's the kicker - the dwarf still drinks it just fine.  What is even stranger, is that the "No water source" warning will occasionally appear since every water source except the well is salt water.  The warning eventually stops once the thirsty dwarf drinks the salty water brought to him by another dwarf.

I did deconstruct the well, then reconstruct it in the same spot, though - I am not sure that had anything to do with it.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:55 pm »

I think you can avoid announcement spam from "no suitable water source" if you designate a drinkable water source as drinking zone, then set the options to "drink zone only"

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2010, 06:51:37 pm »

they even act like walls to liquids. I've had tower-caps block water channels before, almost causing disaster before my rapid response woodcutting team got to it.

This has happened to me a couple of times too, now I build floor into pipelines and it seems to prevent it though.  Exposing tiles to sunlight also sterilizes themforever, even though you might build a roof over them again -- I don't recall if it's the "outside" or "light" tag that stays permanently (I think the latter).

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:48 pm »

Regice, just right-click and view image.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »

Regice, just right-click and view image.
No I did that, but I have no idea what it IS.

Oh, pokemon.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2010, 08:59:37 am »

they even act like walls to liquids. I've had tower-caps block water channels before, almost causing disaster before my rapid response woodcutting team got to it.

This has happened to me a couple of times too, now I build floor into pipelines and it seems to prevent it though.  Exposing tiles to sunlight also sterilizes themforever, even though you might build a roof over them again -- I don't recall if it's the "outside" or "light" tag that stays permanently (I think the latter).
Neither, it's Above Ground.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 09:16:34 am »

Light and Above Ground are both permanent. Outside is not.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 09:35:35 am »

I have a particularly annoying one blocking a magma pipe.  Apparently trees don't burn.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:20 am »

I believe they do, but they aren't ignited by magma, you need to use the magma to set something else (say a log, or some clothing) on fire, & let that light 'em up.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:30 am »

Here's one relating to the new combat system:

Wearing non-armor clothing makes your dwarves more vulnerable

I noticed this while testing orcs, where legendary steel shield/swordsdwarves were being taken down by axeorcs. The combat logs looked like the steel armor was deflecting pretty much everything, but sometimes the dwarves would be damaged through their clothing.

Bringing this to the object testing arena, I made 19 pairs of dwarves duel each other, identical in all ways (steel equipment, level V in shield/armor/sword/dodge/fight) except that one side had pig tail clothing and the other had only steel armor. The armor-only dwarves won 17 of the 19 fights, which makes me suspect that it's not just something in how the combat logs choose to represent which layer is shown when multiple clothing layers are involved. Anyone care to do more extensive tests?
That's... really disturbing. Hmph....

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 10:41:09 am »

I believe they do, but they aren't ignited by magma, you need to use the magma to set something else (say a log, or some clothing) on fire, & let that light 'em up.
actually, trees are treated as a natural wall object (seeing as how they can cave in) so they can only be killed by axe gobs treecutters
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:21:30 pm by iceball3 »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 11:21:49 am »

actually, trees are treated as a natural wall object (seeing as how they can cave in) so they can only be killed by axe gobs

Can axe gobs actually destroy trees? 40d they couldn't. It may have changed, but I don't remember anything in the devnotes about it happening, yet. Wasn't that stuff coming in "improved sieges"? How on earth do we even test that one?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5