Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DF Mythbusters 2010  (Read 8675 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mythbusters 2010
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 12:23:25 am »

Although if magma men actively seek things out, then it's confirmed.

Except that they don't. I put my magma buildings directly on the magma pool (80z levels up from the sea), and the Magma man down there didn't bat an eye.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 01:00:17 am »

Don't know if this is what you mean, but I can confirm that fortifications at least filter out dead creatures (and other items). My last fort used one as a drain from the drowning chamber.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 01:10:32 am »

Here's one relating to the new combat system:

Wearing non-armor clothing makes your dwarves more vulnerable

I noticed this while testing orcs, where legendary steel shield/swordsdwarves were being taken down by axeorcs. The combat logs looked like the steel armor was deflecting pretty much everything, but sometimes the dwarves would be damaged through their clothing.

Bringing this to the object testing arena, I made 19 pairs of dwarves duel each other, identical in all ways (steel equipment, level V in shield/armor/sword/dodge/fight) except that one side had pig tail clothing and the other had only steel armor. The armor-only dwarves won 17 of the 19 fights, which makes me suspect that it's not just something in how the combat logs choose to represent which layer is shown when multiple clothing layers are involved. Anyone care to do more extensive tests?
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 03:40:00 am »

I dont know if its been said. But someone has to very clearly find out how to make salt water fresh. I've not had trouble with it, but I know alot of people have.

I haven't done any serious, exhaustive testing, but from a few quick attempts on an embark near the sea (i.e. all murky pools are salty) it's clear to me that the z-level does not affect the salinity of the water purified by a pump. So build a screw pump that pumps into a reservoir made of rock blocks and water will be fresh. I've tested that at several different z-levels, both above and below sea level.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 05:01:35 am »

I had success purifying water by pumping it into a cistern made entirely of constructed walls and floors.  But they were not blocks.

The wiki said that wells do not purify water anymore.  I haven't actually tested it though.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:25 am »

Will any form of building destroyer bust up through your water wheels?  If so, will it continue smashing along the crankshaft even if you don't have tunnel access near the water wheel?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 07:48:57 am »

They may not need to smash their way through.  If I recall correctly only the center tile of a waterwheel blocks movement.  I think they would be able to path through the diagonal even if they don't break it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 08:06:09 am »

Hmmm, maybe diverting the river underground/through fortifications is a good idea after all then.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 10:34:09 am »

I had success purifying water by pumping it into a cistern made entirely of constructed walls and floors.  But they were not blocks.

The wiki said that wells do not purify water anymore.  I haven't actually tested it though.
The wiki is wrong then, The reason it problably still is is because mostly everyone who notices it is too lazy to fix it, like myself.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 11:36:14 am »

I've heard sending water through a diagonal will de-salinate, but haven't tested it.

Also, one more to test:

Do fortifications actually have a chance of blocking arrows in DF2010? For both one or two thick.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:09 am »

Do trees definately act exactly like walls to all creatures ? I know that dwarves cannot pass through them, but what about other things ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 11:58:29 am »

they even act like walls to liquids. I've had tower-caps block water channels before, almost causing disaster before my rapid response woodcutting team got to it.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:29 pm »

build a well.
is that clear enough?
Jeez way to be a dick
Jeez, way to overreact.

Hey. This is what this thread is for. I just know theres alot of confusion about that. And I've never used a well and got it to work before. He didnt have treat me like I'm an idoit. Whatever I'm gone.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »

The wiki is wrong then, The reason it problably still is is because mostly everyone who notices it is too lazy to fix it, like myself.

Okay. The wiki is right. There
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pump off the ocean. Makes a water source. Not a well. I've never got wells to work, and dont even know where that comes from.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »

build a well.
is that clear enough?
Jeez way to be a dick
Jeez, way to overreact.

Hey. This is what this thread is for. I just know theres alot of confusion about that. And I've never used a well and got it to work before. He didnt have treat me like I'm an idoit. Whatever I'm gone.
Jeez, i'm sorry for giving an answer without trying to go through an entire walkthrough. I'm not being sarcastic. In fact, i should've included the fact that wells needed to be built on an open space next to a floor, with water in a straight line down with no obstacles in it's way. My bad.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:41:19 pm by iceball3 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5