Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: Masters of magic.  (Read 28953 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of magic.
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »

What does the arena look like?

Posting actions publically would necessitate revealing a whole mess of spells, I suggest PMs, even though I dislike them...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2010, 09:05:31 pm »

When I said "you" in the second to last sentence, I meant Dragnar only responding to PMs when required; we definitely want our strategy and spells kept in PMs (in mind and under breath).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2010, 02:02:59 pm »

"Ooooh, now that's more like it! Count me in!"

Xavius enthusiastically signs up to the elimination event.

(The previous few posts aren't too clear on how much we should post about our actions. Once things are clarified I'll post whatever needs to be posted.)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2010, 02:12:32 pm »

Alright, I have decided: PM your specific actions to me, but post whatever the spectators will see. Still need to see who all is competing though, so we'll wait a day or so before the first fights start.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2010, 07:41:31 pm »

That doesn't really work so well if people are improvising spells, as they will not be sure what they will look like...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 25, 2010, 07:52:32 pm »

We wont be posting the effects of our spells, just what it looks like we're trying to do. Like "I begin running to my right while mumbling to myself." Then the next person that posts will be reacting after the fact, with "I also mumble to myself and charge to my left at [FOO]." Then Dragnar posts how our spells end up. I assume there will be some troubles with blocked line of sight, but with the power of text descriptions I think we can do it.

Having listened to the announcements, I enter the arena through the spartanly decorated waiting room a minute before my match begins. I bow deeply to my opponent and await the starting signal.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:12:51 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2010, 09:32:05 pm »

I naturaly attend and see if I can glimse any new magic knowledge, but dont join any fights.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2010, 09:19:35 am »

I think we should at least know who's our opponent before posting how the fight looks. :/
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2010, 11:46:32 am »

Alright, that's plenty of time I think. Just to double check, the competitors are: Poltifar, Nivm, and RAM.
Assuming that's everyone, the bracket(decided by random.org) is:

Poltifar-\
             -----\
RAM----/         \
                      ---------\
NPC----\         /           |
             ------/            |
NPC----/                     \
                                    -----
Nivm---\                      /
             ------\            |
NPC----/         \           |
                       --------/
NPC----\         /
             ------/
NPC----/
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

Nuts, PvP right out of the gate.

Is it a small, Barren Arena? Or are there furnishings to make it interesting... Are there any rules?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:08:06 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »

It's a normal arena: sand floor, nothing else.

Rules? Don't hurt the spectators.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »

Rules? Don't hurt the spectators.
I knew there was a reason why I didn't join this tournament.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:18 pm »

Just who are the NPCs? Weren't their names announced with the others, and aren't there rumors about their looks or ability?

Also, why are people unhappy about player versus player right out the gate and lack of rules? Soul attacking abilities are unlikely, especially where the wizards might learn about it, and player versus player is where strategy and imagination really take off. Of course, I'm sure Dragnar has quite a bit of that, but he must spread it across multiple people.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:12 am »

Just who are the NPCs? Weren't their names announced with the others, and aren't there rumors about their looks or ability?
Nah. They are recent graduates same as you all, so they haven't really made a name for themselves yet. I'll give them names as it becomes important.
(Also, something I should have mentioned earlier: everyone is planning a bit too far ahead in these fights. Just give me a spell or two and how you're starting out with them, not a battle plan.)

The battles begin!
RAM/Poltifar:
As the battle begins Xavius is engulfed in a sphere of fire and the air around Ramirez begins rotating strangely. Both combatants attempt to Strike at the other with fire but the attacks are useless. Every flame that reaches Ramirex is snuffed out, and the explosions sent at Xavius seem to curve around him.

Croix/Ranis:
A sudden sandstorm fills the arena as soon as the announcers signal the start of the fight. When the sand fades from the air Croix has vanished, and the entire surface of the arena has been frozen solid, a thin layer of ice covering everything.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2010, 01:03:30 am »

Hm, I seem to have been eaten by the elements. Luckily, this does not impede me very much.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25