Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: Masters of magic.  (Read 28940 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of magic.
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »

(Could everyone send me their spell lists with their next actions? I've lost the file with them all collated, and only have bits and pieces left. It doesn't really effect much, but it saves me time to have the list handy.)

RAM/Poltifar:
The flames surrounding Xavius stretch out around Ramirez, forming a large ring around him. As Xavius attempts to circle around behind Ramirez the flames around him flicker and die(the ring is intact, but there is a small hole in it around him), and he finds it more and more difficult to breath.

Nivm/Ranis:
The ice covering the arena suddenly begins to melt rapidly, as Ranis summons a huge amount of water over his head. He directs the ball into the sand, saturating it completely with water.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:04 am »

Are all these duels happening at the same time, or sequentially? Do we only hear the details of other duels from the spectators, are we in the stands watching ourselves, or do we spend all the time between matches recuperating? Speaking of which, I think they heal our wounds between matches, but is the same service preformed for our strength and energy?
 Even more importantly, will you post the other two duels in the same style as these, but all in one post?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2010, 09:45:23 am »

Are all these duels happening at the same time, or sequentially? Do we only hear the details of other duels from the spectators, are we in the stands watching ourselves, or do we spend all the time between matches recuperating? Speaking of which, I think they heal our wounds between matches, but is the same service preformed for our strength and energy?
 Even more importantly, will you post the other two duels in the same style as these, but all in one post?
The duels are simultaneous.
You know about the details of the other fights because... Magic? I hadn't thought about that...
You are healed and your energy restored between matches.
I wasn't GOING to post the other duels... but I suppose I could if you want. Only problem is that I know all the rules, so while I can create one fighter, it's hard not to be biased if I control both sides of the fight.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »

RAM/Poltifar:
Xavius flings the remnants of his fire ring at Ramirez ineffectually and then blindly charges him. He is getting low on air, but moments later Ramirez is teleported out of the arena, having been impaled by a spear of stone.
(Winner: Poltifar, due to RAM lacking a defense against simple physical force and magically boosted speed.)

Nivm/Ranis:
The water that was drenching the sand rises back up above Ranis, attempting to engulf him. It slows for a moment as it approaches the mage, but his spell is weaker than the one being used against him, and he is soon trapped in the center of a sphere of water.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »

I thought I had some defence, and was holding some back because I thought we wouldn't get energy recovered until the end of the turn, but no matter. Congratulations Poltifar!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2010, 08:55:41 pm »

Oh, you had defenses... just not against a solid spike of rock aimed at you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2010, 11:06:41 pm »

Hm... i know its a bit late, but could i join the waitlist?
i asked 5 pages ago too, but i didn't get a response :(
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2010, 11:09:40 pm »

Hm... i know its a bit late, but could i join the waitlist?
i asked 5 pages ago too, but i didn't get a response :(
Hmm? Sorry, must have missed that. Sure, I'll put you on the list.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2010, 08:01:43 am »

I wasn't GOING to post the other duels... but I suppose I could if you want. Only problem is that I know all the rules, so while I can create one fighter, it's hard not to be biased if I control both sides of the fight.
  Pah! It can't be so simple that you're already out of possibilities to explore! Use the matches to play around a little with the reinterpretation thing. Even without that, there are interesting things one can do with simple spells, some finesse, and some strategy (or even just tactics). Such as slowly filling the arena with mist while the mages hurl rocks at each-other, then condensing that mist into the opponent's lungs. Speaking of which...
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:21 am »

I thought I had some defence, and was holding some back because I thought we wouldn't get energy recovered until the end of the turn, but no matter. Congratulations Poltifar!

Thanks. I was in a tough spot there, had to gamble a bit to try to win. All in all, it was a close fight. :)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:51 am »

Pah! It can't be so simple that you're already out of possibilities to explore! Use the matches to play around a little with the reinterpretation thing. Even without that, there are interesting things one can do with simple spells, some finesse, and some strategy (or even just tactics). Such as slowly filling the arena with mist while the mages hurl rocks at each-other, then condensing that mist into the opponent's lungs. Speaking of which...
The problem isn't lack of ideas. It's TOO MANY ideas. I know the entire system, so I could have the two perfectly counter anything they threw at each other, or use all sorts of spells. But I can't simulate them not knowing each others plans. And I'm sorta cheating on the spells they know: The NPCs know how to use a small selection of words perfectly, with a few other spells in there for a surprise. It doesn't quite match how you all are learning, but it's as close as I can get.

Nivm/Ranis:
Ranis begins to flail about wildly inside the sphere and within moments vanishes, teleported away by the protective wards. A whirlwind of sand forms in the center of the arena soon after, and as it clears Croix is revealed floating where it had been.
(Now.. you can move on to the next fight, or I can try to do the NPCs battles. Your choice.)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 03, 2010, 09:58:03 am »

Heh, and to think what I've been writing up for Text you can play. Come on Dragnar, haven't you ever played chess with yourself? =}
 Well, instead of going through the matches that way, how about you post the kind of summary we would hear from the spectators between fights? Since that appears to be the method we use learn about them.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:52 pm »

Meh, worth a shot I suppose. (no these are not fair fights. The winners aren't even students of the academy)

NPC fight 1: Thex Vs ???(old man, refused to give name)
As the fight opens Thex invokes a series of spells raising 5 magical barriers around himself as the old man fumbles around in his robes. As Thex waits cautiously within his prismatic shield the old man pulls a pair of small vials out of his robes and sprinkles them on the ground, one in a circle around him and the second further away. Moments later, the arena is covered in stone spikes, and Thex's barriers fail to defend him against the attack from within.

NPC fight 2: Hekan Vs. Ganth
Hekan Summons a large number of fireballs, one by one, as Ganth simply drops to his knees and clasps his hands. Hekan pauses for a moment out of confusion, then flings all the fireballs at Ganth. The fireballs vanish as they strike him, and with each blow Ganth glows brighter. As the last one strikes, a beam of light leaps from Ganth to Hekan, ending the battle instantly.

Next fights, Poltifar Vs. ??? and Nivm Vs. Ganth, GO!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 03, 2010, 03:40:02 pm »

I walk up to Xavius after hearing about the last matches, and tell him; "good luck" before vanishing into the crowd.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2010, 11:58:32 am »

Xavius doesn't notice who wishes him luck, being too busy trying to think up a way to counter whatever magic the old man was using.

Finally he steps up unto the arena when his name is called. Might as well try one's best.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25