Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 108023 times)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #2715 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:43 pm »

I'd say at least the 6 that caused the over-pop, which in turn caused the contest. Making it redundant, yet necessary.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: February 23, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »

Heh. I'm gonna try to write something up, but I'll probably be right up against the deadline given how slowly I write. I just sorta lose steam about a page in, no matter what it is I'm writing about.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2717 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »

I'd say at least the 6 that caused the over-pop, which in turn caused the contest. Making it redundant, yet necessary.
I'm still pretty certain that if you turn in a shit-awful story you won't be invited to godhood the next even if it's understaffed.

I support qualification requirements to join.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: February 24, 2011, 12:23:37 am »

Whilst the contest and some of the dropouts to date would eliminate many of my gripes with Godhood, I'm just not feeling it.

I might write something up later, maybe.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: February 24, 2011, 07:02:35 am »

It took longer to edit this thing than to write it. Also somehow turned out shorter than I thought. >_>

Are you going to show all the applications when the contest is finished, Caesar? I want to see what you people have cooked up.

I actually had a couple of more ideas I like better, but I couldn't get them anywhere and this fit in better with the Godhood theme. Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:15:46 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: February 24, 2011, 02:29:50 pm »

Are you going to show all the applications when the contest is finished, Caesar?

That is an excellent inquiry, and in sincere response I'll have to say that I had not even thought about that yet.
I suppose that will be up to the players who wrote it. If they want to make their application public afterwards, they can always do so.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:16 pm »

My entry is in, but I tried to avoid gods. Instead, I focused more on the mortal sphere, with "Death" being met at the end.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2722 on: February 25, 2011, 12:24:04 am »

Are you going to show all the applications when the contest is finished, Caesar?

That is an excellent inquiry, and in sincere response I'll have to say that I had not even thought about that yet.
I suppose that will be up to the players who wrote it. If they want to make their application public afterwards, they can always do so.
I think mine is horribad, but feel free to post my shame here. I'm pretty thick skinned.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: February 25, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »

Would you at all be open to advice/discussion on reworking/refining the Acts system at all?  I've been working on a version of Godhood based around a card game system (done, more or less, but cards necessitated quite a change of system) where how much could be done with an intervention was fairly important in defining (since that game was competitive, for one), as well as the idea of statistics in general.

Addition of some limited statistics (chiefly to races, ecology etc) would make it much easier to judge conflicts etc.  I think it can be done fairly easily without breaking the whole freeform aspect, but that would be one fear associated with doing that.

Edit:  Actually, would anyone like to hear about the rough details of how the card version works?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:20:41 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: February 25, 2011, 12:46:20 pm »

I'll answer your question with a question of my own:

Have I ever been not open to advice or discussions?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:36 pm »

Edit:  Actually, would anyone like to hear about the rough details of how the card version works?
I'm interested.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: February 25, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »

I'll answer your question with a question of my own:

Have I ever been not open to advice or discussions?

I don't know!  Hence the asking.  =P

In the card game version you drew a certain number of cards/turn from the deck.  The cards were basically divided up into three types; Role Cards, Specials Cards and Interventions.  This more or less replaced the Act system (which is better for a forum game but was less suited to the card format).

You started out confined to creating one world, but the playing field was just blank void.  Creating anything required you to stack Specials Cards onto Role Cards.  There were five Role Cards:  Terrains, Features, Fauna, Races and Heroes.

Terrains and Features were geographical locations that could also be the source of one of the six elements in the game (Fir, Air, Earth, Water, Light and Void) as well as of various materials.  Terrains all started linked together, but Features you could define if they were linked.  A Feature might be 'The Crystal Caverns', an Earth-based feature linked to a Terrain or other feature, or you could have the Sun be an unlinked Light-based feature.

You needed 3 Terrains/Features in the game before you could place any Fauna.

Fauna represented any major living population that wasn't a 'Race' in the Swords and Sorcery sense.  Trees, mammals, birds, whatever.  You could add Specials cards that would give them whatever bonus attributes, including a Flora card that made their food source an Element.  If you wanted to place any Fauna, unless you gave a Feature the 'Sustenance' special card, they needed to have something to eat - Flora.  Similarly, you could place an Elemental special in the stack that would turn them into Elementals (feeding off an Element like Flora, but not edible and not Living).

If you ever wiped out all the sources of the element being consumed by Flora/Elements (e.g. blowing up the Sun) those stacks would be removed from play as the species went extinct.  If all food sources died out as a result, any dependent Fauna would go with them.

You needed 3 Fauna (of Elemental or Living persuasion) in the game before you could place Races.

Races were defined as Sapient or Servile by a specials card.  Sapient races could worship and advance culturally, had free will and were not directly controlled by a god.  Servile races could not worship, had no culture (and limited technological ability, but they could steal tech) and were under the direct control of a god (no/restricted free will).

Once you had any Race in game, you could make Heroes, who I'll admit haven't been fleshed out yet.

During the early part of the game, everyone gets 1 card/turn from the mysterious Source of Creation.  After 12 stacks have been placed (or a number of rounds had expired) the Source dries up and if you haven't got another source of power you start dying.  Gods had to choose whether to play Cthonic or Olympian deities - Cthonic gods could gain cards/turn from controlling Nodes of mystical power (Terrains/Features with the Node card, any Elemental fauna, any Servile or Elemental race).  Olympian gods gained cards/turn from being worshipped by sapient races and building temples (or having the races build the temples for them, usually).  Olympians got no power from controlling a node, Cthonics got no power from being worshipped.  Nodes gave you more power (2 cards/turn) than just being worshipped (excluding temples) but only one god could control each node.  Worship only gave you 1 card/turn, but multiple gods could be worshipped by a race (up to their Prosperity level) and you could build temples on top of that.

Because it was a card game, I set up win conditions; last man standing, raise a race to godhood through technological or divine means (apotheosis) or fulfil a special Destiny card you got at the start of play (e.g. The destiny of 'The Horror' was to wipe out all living and sapient life, but only after a sapient race had reached a certain level of prosperity).

If I were to try and adapt this back to the normal game, I would go a similar route with Acts/turn, particularly with defining Acts.  That is to say, I would start out in the earlier part of the game with some sort of Source of Creation/Overgod giving all the gods one Act/turn to get them started.  This continues for however-many turns or until a checkpoint is reached, after which point the Source dries up/Overgod becomes less giving.  You need to control Nodes or be worshipped/have temples after that point.

God death:  If a god reaches a point where he's not gaining any Acts in a turn, he has to spend at least one Act that turn or die.

It's up to you whether you think the Cthonic/Olympian split would be a terrible idea.  I chose it because it necessarily forced players to take differing strategies and created two types of gods who had very differing goals; Cthonics could do fine by themselves, Olympians had benefits from working together up to a point.  Either way, the idea of mystic Nodes and worship as a source of power appeals to me.

One particular thing I found useful with the stack system was that you needed a new card for each feature you gave whatever you were making, but that the feature was fairly well defined in terms of mechanics.  I like the idea that it might take you only 1 Act to create something fairly generic, and then more Acts for each additional feature you give - and having the numbers defined.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: February 25, 2011, 02:29:51 pm »

Interesting system for sure. Not really suited for a forum game in my opinion though.

I guess some stats might be a good idea, as long as they don't restrict freeform RP too much. I think  I vaguely remember stats in your Godhood game?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: February 25, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »

Yeah, I had to rebuild the system pretty much for a card game.  And it's still rather iffy - it doesn't resemble collectible card games much because the whole point is to create new things from parts rather than buy pre-made ones.  =/

But I wouldn't mind some stats in this game.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: February 25, 2011, 03:28:43 pm »

An interesting system, but I can't say I'm in favor of it. It might seem open and freeform, but to me, it imposes the same objective on all the gods. Get these nodes or sources of worship. Without them, they would die eventually. You couldn't have the more trickster or meddling type gods who just involved themselves with a mortal at a time. Things like Carmanthyre's antics couldn't be done, because he'd wouldn't have much, if any nodes or worshipers and would die eventually. Or like with what I did with Kastheen, who simply was content to govern her own land and people. She would fall behind in the node/worship race as well, and be overwhelmed by the gods who rushed to get as many nodes/worshipers as they could, and had a greater supply of acts. It would cause this to be a very different type of game.

In summary, it forces an element of competition that we simply don't need. In the last game, there were plenty of wars and battles without the need to collect nodes or worshipers. There will be competition enough without the metagame sword of 'god death' hanging over our heads.

On the flip side, however, categorizing the types of miracles or acts is interesting. I don't agree with forcing the gods to do landscaping before they create life or races though.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 193