Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: RL Dwarf Fortress - Chile Edition  (Read 10209 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: RL Dwarf Fortress - Chile Edition
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 08:03:42 am »

I think we've been spoiled in our appreciation of tunneling by Dwarf Fortress.  Oxygen, food, water.  Not to mention the one nobody ever wants to talk about, crap.  Think about it, 33 guys in a glorified toolshed for as much as four months.  Okay, you can send food down to them.  What do you do with the leftovers, pile it in the corner until Christmas?

Hence why they're apparently going to be living on a minimalistic diet of like a biscuit a day, and will probably be near skeletons by the time they get out, even according to plan.  At least 8 centimeters is enough to send down some rolled up magazines and pack of cards.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:59 am »

I think we've been spoiled in our appreciation of tunneling by Dwarf Fortress.  Oxygen, food, water.  Not to mention the one nobody ever wants to talk about, crap.  Think about it, 33 guys in a glorified toolshed for as much as four months.  Okay, you can send food down to them.  What do you do with the leftovers, pile it in the corner until Christmas?

Hence why they're apparently going to be living on a minimalistic diet of like a biscuit a day, and will probably be near skeletons by the time they get out, even according to plan.  At least 8 centimeters is enough to send down some rolled up magazines and pack of cards.

They're experienced miners (at least that's what the news says) they know what's coming.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 06:31:43 am »

They're sending astronaut paste down.

But still, four months, Jesus. Some therapy will be in order by the end of it, I have no doubt.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 06:40:01 am »

Even better, supposedly the rescue coordinators have so far elected not to tell the miners how long they can expect to be waiting down there.  I don't know if that's a good or bad plan, but I suspect they'll start to figure it out.  It certainly suggests they won't be getting any newspapers.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 06:40:41 am »

But still, four months, Jesus. Some therapy will be in order by the end of it, I have no doubt.
Yeah, like a week-long stay at a bordello.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:39 am »

They're experienced miners (at least that's what the news says) they know what's coming.

Experienced? Hell, tell 'em to keep mining for those four months. By the end of it, they'll be Legendary with Superdwarvenly stats across the board. They'll be able to dig faster than the machines.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 09:24:32 am »

That could easily be recreated

1 Make a Fortress
2 Build a underground refuge about 30 z lvl down
3 send 33 miner in there. no picks
4 Collapse the entrance
5 Send them Kitten Biscuit and some beer by a small tunnel.
6 Go get them back a few mont ( or year) later

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 09:27:49 am »

5 Drop live kittens down the 30 Z-level shaft.

Fixed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »

Eight centimeters? You could fit a beer bottle down that. Strictly speaking, you could fit a LOT of beer bottles down that.

Here you go, guys. Keep your spirits up.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 09:06:34 pm »

Could they fit down a suction tube or something for getting rid of all the human waste?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:35 pm »

Uh, the miners could just dig a hole and shit in it, then bury it after a few days. Seriously.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »

Uh, the miners could just dig a hole and shit in it, then bury it after a few days. Seriously.

Ammonia gas buildup.  Not to mention, they probably don't have enough room or good air down there to make digging a "hole" an option, since they're surrounded by rock.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »

Don't they have a bulldozer and a truck? That seems to suggest they're cut off from the exit more than trapped in a tiny pocket.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 10:10:40 pm »

Ammonia gas is lighter than air, so it should just rise out through the hole.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »

They think it'll take four months to get the miners out, because the surrounding rock is too unstable to dig very quickly.  Even if they can run that bulldozer down in that enclosed space without choking on dust, that doesn't sound like digging a latrine would be a very good idea.

Ammonia gas is lighter than air, so it should just rise out through the hole.

Well, maybe.  I guess it depends on the rate it builds up.  Not mention they necessarily fill up the whole every time something is lowered through it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10