Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Let's Play Gary Grigsby's War Between the States  (Read 14490 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »

Yes, this period (1800's to early 1900's) is one of my favorite fields of study. Keep it up, man.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 05:01:18 pm »

Our glorius President - Jefferson Davis

Jefferson Finis Davis (June 3, 1808 – December 6, 1889) was an American military officer, statesman and leader of the Confederacy during the American Civil War, serving as the President of the Confederate States of America for its entire history, 1861 to 1865.

A West Point graduate, Davis fought in the Mexican-American War as a colonel of a volunteer regiment, and was the United States Secretary of War under President Franklin Pierce. Both before and after his time in the Pierce Administration, he served as a U.S. Senator representing the State of Mississippi. As a Senator he argued against secession, but did agree that each state was sovereign and had an unquestionable right to secede from the Union.

In February, 1861, after he resigned from the U.S. Senate, he was selected provisional President of the Confederate States of America; he was elected without opposition to a six-year term that November. During his presidency, Davis took charge of the Confederate war plans but was unable to find a strategy to stop the larger, more powerful and better organized Union. His diplomatic efforts failed to gain recognition from any foreign country, and he paid little attention to the collapsing Southern economy, printing more and more paper money to cover the war's expenses. Historians have criticized Davis for being a much less effective war leader than his Union counterpart Abraham Lincoln, which they attribute to Davis being overbearing, over controlling, and overly meddlesome, as well as being out of touch with public opinion, and lacking support from a political party (the Confederacy had no political parties). According to historian Bell I. Wiley, the flaws in his personality and temperament made him a failure as the highest political officer in the Confederacy. His preoccupation with detail, inability to delegate responsibility, lack of popular appeal, inability to get along with people who disagreed with him, and his neglect of civil matters in favor of military were only a few of the shortcomings which worked against him.

After Davis was captured May 10, 1865, he was charged with treason, though not tried, and stripped of his eligibility to run for public office. While not disgraced, he was displaced in Southern affection after the war by its leading general, Robert E. Lee. However, Southerners empathized with his defiance, refusal to accept defeat, and resistance to Reconstruction. Over time, admiration for his pride and ideals made him a Civil War hero to Southerners, and his legacy became part of the foundation of the New South.

One of my alltime favorite quotes:

'a messenger threaded his way through the bushes and handed Jefferson Davis a telegram. After a few minutes of painful silence he told me, as a man might speak of a sentence of death' That he was elected president of the Confederate States of America. - Varina Banks Howell Davis

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 11:14:56 am »

July - December 1862

The Union have landed in many places around Florida, Texas and Mississipi. The territories are of low consequence and the Invaders have been held in their place so far. In the East however they have landed by sea in eastern Georgia. This is more worrying!
U. S. Grant has slowely pushed us back in Tenessee and down the Mississipi, but we are holding them at bay, for now.

The Army of the Potomac (Union eastern army) has pushed down and stood at the gates of Richmond for 3 months. Then in December Robert E. Lee, given command of the Army of Northern virginia (Confederate eastern army) marched north through Winchester and onto Chambersberg. He then drove south and engaged the Union army in the Third battle of Manassas, driving the Union army from the field!! At the same time General Beauregard advanced on Fredricksburg and retook the city. General Jackson whom was earlier wounded has returned to Winchester with fresh recruits to train for battle. General Longstreet has also retaken command of a large size of the ANV The Confederacy is not dead yet!

Battle reports:

3rd Manassas

2nd Fredricksburg

Hurrah for the Southern Confederacy! and for Robert Edward Lee.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:22:46 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 11:17:46 am »

Man of the hour - William N. Pendleton

When the American Civil War commenced in 1861, Pendleton chose to follow the Confederate cause. On March 16 he entered the Regular Confederate Artillery with the rank of captain, and on May 1 he was elected captain in the Virginia Artillery. He commanded a four-gun battery called the Rockbridge Artillery, naming his guns "Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John" after the Gospel writers. On July 2 Pendleton participated in the minor Battle of Falling Waters, where "he and his battery performed capably." On July 13 Pendleton was promoted to colonel and began serving as chief of artillery for Brig. Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's command during the First Battle of Bull Run on July 21. He was wounded in this fight, injured in an ear and his back.

Beginning in July 1861 Pendleton lead the artillery of the Confederate Army of the Potomac, and on March 14, 1862, he continued in this role after the renaming to the Army of Northern Virginia. On March 26 he was promoted to brigadier general. On July 3 Pendleton was again wounded when a mule from his artillery kicked him in the leg and possibly breaking one of his bones there. His most noted Civil War performance occurred during the 1862 Maryland Campaign. On the evening September 19 Lee gave Pendleton command of the rearguard infantry following the Battle of Shepherdstown, ordering him to hold the Potomac River crossings until the morning. Despite a commanding position from which to defend the fords, "Pendleton lost track of his forces and lost control of the situation." Awaking Lee after midnight, he frantically reported his position lost and all of his guns captured. This turned out to be a highly exaggerated and hasty account, as he lost only four guns, but he had pulled out the infantry "without sufficient cause." Richmond newspapers viciously reported on this incident for the remainder of the war, and unflattering rumors and jokes were spread by his own soldiers and throughout the army. At least one military court of inquiry was held to investigate Pendleton's actions at Shepherdstown.

Pendleton served with the Army of Northern Virginia for the rest of the conflict, taking part in the 1863 and 1864 major campaigns of the Eastern Theater. However during the final two years of the war, Pendleton's role was mostly administrative, and his active command was only of the reserve ordnance. Throughout the war, he continues in his religious calling, always preaching to his men. Pendleton surrendered with Lee's army at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865, and was paroled from there and returned home.

[Sorry about the delays, I unexpectedly found myself as previously without a job, with a job :D]

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25:32 am »

Btw, for anyone who reads the Pendleton info - Parole is where the enemy capture a soldier and made and agreement whereabout he promised to return home and not fight anymore. In return for his freedom.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 11:35:14 am »

The fall of 1862

Small dot = small forces, Large dot = Large forces :D Red line i drew to display better the borders of the current Confederate control.

Confederate chain of command is:

The Army of Northern Virginia (Eastern)

Joseph E. Johnston (eastern theatre commander)
     Pierre GT. Beauregard (Army commander, situated in Richmond)
     Robert E. Lee (Army commander, situated in Manassas)

The army of the Mississipi (Western)

Albert Sidney Johnston (army commander, situated in Memphis Tenessee)
    Braxton Bragg (army commander, situated in Mobile, Alabama)

Command plans for 1863:

General Longstreet to be promoted to Army commander, J. E. Johnston dismissed from theatre command. Robert E. Lee takes command of the whole eastern armies.

[What this will mean is that Lee will no longer use his skills in combat, but will lend his skills to activate other army commanders. Being highly skilled this will be greatly effective, allowing for more attacks, on many fronts in the East. I am unsure as to whether it is wise to continue without Lee on the front commanding in battle, however Longstreet is a competant commander also and should do fine.]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:40:49 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 09:02:57 am »

1863 - Confederate high water mark

Richard 'Baldy' Ewell performs well in the battle of Fredrick 1863, Lee gains another victory to his credit and moves east towards Washington.

In the first of many battles in the james peninsular, at New Kent by Fort monroe Lee launches his army against the Federal troops in the peninsular commanded by Union General Pope. The battle is bloody, but Pope withdraws and lee takes the field. Much credit is given to the concentration of Confederate artillery utilised under the command of General Pendleton.
One of the most promising commanders in the Union army, General Reynolds, Is killed in action.

At the battle of Murfreesboro in the West, Confederate General Leonidas Polk tries desperaly to hold the massive union force at bay, but he is killed in action and the army was forced to withdraw after taking 15400 casualties to the Grants (The union commander) 3680.

Things seem Hopeless in the West. General A. S. Johnston tries desperately to fend off the huge Union armies but after a bloody holding action at Shiloh digs in around Vicksburg and the lines change little around the mississipi until the end of the war.

In a huge battle in manassas 200,000 soldiers slogged away at each other until Lee's Army of Northern Virginia drove Union General George Meade from Manassas Junction. In one of the bloodiest battles of the war 15800 Confederates were killed and 28580 Federal soldiers killed.
Both Early and Jackson are wounded in action, Jackson will not return to the field for the remainder of the war.

Here at the end of 1863, is the beginning of Lee's drive down the james peninsular to destroy the Union army under the command of General Pope. The battles from this point on would be frequent and bloody, but never decisive.

Thats all for 1863...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:51 am »

Im pretty disappointed by Jackson, he never had the chance to perform well outside of the main army group.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 11:13:36 am »

After 5 or 6 attacks down the James peninsular in 1863 by R. E. Lee, the war turned into a stalemate, both sides lost generals and men, little territory was gained. The commander in the west, Johnston, was wounded in action and replaced by the ever daring Nathan Bedford Forrest, Forrest continued to harrass the union till the end of the war but no ground was retaken. However no ground further was lost in the west either.

Lincoln lost the 1864 election, and it appeared the union would loose the war. By 1865 the war was in total stalemate with few battles remaining, the union finally agreeing to Confederate independance in december.

The bloodiest battle of the War was the battle of Paducah in 1862, 35,300 men died, 23,900 Confederates and 11,900 Federals.

Lee's greatest victory was the 3rd attack down the James peninsular, he inflicted 11,520 casualties on Pope's army, taking only 2100. Unfortunately the Union held the peninsular until the end of the war.

The war ended in a Confederate Decisive Victory. In the entire war 292,080 Confederates were killed and 301,620 Union soldiers.

But the south is free......

Grant surrenders his army to Lee at Appomattox courthouse, Virginia.

The anthem of the Confederacy remains Dixie.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNID02byVV4

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:00 am »

Oh my god.

You just broke history. Congratulations, man. :D
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:59 am »

Im aware the last bit was brief, but not a great deal happened, it turned into a stalemate and we won :D

Should I do the Union side? It is ALOT harder! I am very likely to fail, though I have had practice as them.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 11:19:32 am »

How come the Union side is harder? Also, go ahead! We're all for it!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 11:20:35 am »

Oh my god.

You just broke history. Congratulations, man. :D

Ya, but interestingly the total casualties in the game were very close to reality! The union won more smaller victories, but alot of large battles went the Confederacys way, largely under the command of Lee.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

The Union side is harder for the historic reasons:

Bad leadership, at least to begin.

Fighting an offensive war.

Moral is harder to maintain due to poor leaders (bad 'political' skill, so more moral lost a month)

It's harder, but not impossible, you absolutely need to churn out some decent leaders though, in the beginning you have a pitiful escuse of leadership and its very hard to inflict any damage on the Confederacy (and you have to!).

The start is hard, but if I can maintain 1000 moral in 1863, I can declare emancipation and 'free the slaves' then arming them in occupied states. The only way to get/maintain this moral is - A reasonable bunch of leaders, taking land (each province has a moral point value on capture, some are worth more than others) and not loosing too many major battles (which confers a drop in moral depending on the size of the loss)

Also in the first turn I loose 5 moral straight off if i dont attack (Represents 1st Manassas and the political pushing for action against the rebels). However the union gains 5 moral on every offensive towards richmond (of course a loss could be detrimental still)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:30:15 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 11:46:57 am »

Restoring the Union

Command considerations:

Army of the Potomac (Eastern)
Theatre command: General Winfield Scott
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    Army command: General Irwin Mcdowell (In Washington)
    Army command: General George Mcclellan (In Wheeling, West Virginia)

Army of the Ohio (Western)
Theatre command: John C Fremont
    Army command: Nathanial Lyon (In Jefferson City)

Fremont needs replacing, he is not fit for army leadership. Mcclellan is reasonable, but lacks offensive capabilities (that we need), Mcdowell can only be described as average. Lyon is more offensive minded, but not very skilled. Mclellan has particularily bad political skill.

We can declare a draft - which will boost recruitment greatly for a month, but then it slows down for a couple. This costs 50 moral so will be used sparingly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4