Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play Gary Grigsby's War Between the States  (Read 14486 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:19:12 pm »

A casual GGWBTS AAr

First off, this is my favorite game of all time. Second, in my opinion it is the most realistic American Civil War game thusfar made. Thirdly, I'm going to do an AAr to hopefully entice others to this gem and admire its quality :D

The games page:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/357/details/Gary.Grigsby%27s.War.Between.The.States

The game map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For those of you who don't know much about the American Civil War - I can't recommend this series more:

The Civil War was fought in 10,000 places, from Valverde, New Mexico, and Tullahoma, Tennessee, to St. Albans, Vermont, and Fernandina on the Florida coast. More than 3 million Americans fought in it, and over 600,000 men, 2 percent of the population, died in it.

American homes became headquarters, American churches and schoolhouses sheltered the dying, and huge foraging armies swept across American farms and burned American towns. Americans slaughtered one another wholesale, right here in America in their own cornfields and peach orchards, along familiar roads and by waters with old American names.

In two days at Shiloh, on the banks of the Tennessee River, more American men fell than in all the previous American wars combined. At Cold Harbor, some 7,000 Americans fell in twenty minutes. Men who had never strayed twenty miles from their own front doors now found themselves soldiers in great armies, fighting epic battles hundreds of miles from home. They knew they were making history, and it was the greatest adventure of their lives.

The Civil War has been given many names: the War Between the States, the War Against Northern Aggression, the Second American Revolution, the Lost Cause, the War of the Rebellion, the Brothers’ War, the Late Unpleasantness. Walt Whitman called it the War of Attempted Secession. Confederate General Joseph Johnston called it the War Against the States. By whatever name, it was unquestionably the most important event in the life of the nation. It saw the end of slavery and the downfall of a southern planter aristocracy. It was the watershed of a new political and economic order, and the beginning of big industry, big business, big government. It was the first modern war and, for Americans, the costliest, yielding the most American fatalities and the greatest domestic suffering, spiritually and physically. It was the most horrible, necessary, intimate, acrimonious, mean-spirited, and heroic conflict the nation has ever known.

Inevitably, we grasp the war through such hyperbole. In so doing, we tend to blur the fact that real people lived through it and were changed by the event. One hundred eighty-five thousand black Americans fought to free their people. Fishermen and storekeepers from Deer Isle, Maine, served bravely and died miserably in strange places like Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and Fredericksburg, Virginia. There was scarcely a family in the South that did not lose a son or brother or father.

As with any civil strife, the war was marked by excruciating ironies. Robert E. Lee became a legend in the Confederate army only after turning down an offer to command the entire Union force. Four of Lincoln’s own brothers-in-law fought on the Confederate side, and one was killed. The little town of Winchester, Virginia, changed hands seventy-two times during the war, and the state of Missouri sent thirty-nine regiments to fight in the siege of Vicksburg: seventeen to the Confederacy and twenty-two to the Union.

Between 1861 and 1865, Americans made war on each other and killed each other in great numbers — if only to become the kind of country that could no longer conceive of how that was possible. What began as a bitter dispute over Union and States' Rights, ended as a struggle over the meaning of freedom in America. At Gettysburg in 1863, Abraham Lincoln said perhaps more than he knew. The war was about a "new birth of freedom."
- Ken burns, 'The Civil War'.

http://www.pbs.org/civilwar/war/

Now onto the game! Its turnbased, the turns are monthly. I control both the production and movement of units and assignment of leaders and troops/artillery/cavalry/ships to leaders.

Somethings to remember:

-Drafts cost moral, if moral drops too low you surrender. It results in a temporary boost to manpower and production, with it tapering off afterwards. If the Union moral is too low by the presidential election circa 1863, Lincoln will loose and i believe you loose the game (not sure about this i forget!)

-The USA can declare emancipation, and start drafting black troops, this should be the main goal due to the game (and realistically) massive role black troops played in the war.

-The Confederacy has the best leaders, but a far smaller economy.

-Infantry are made automatically as militia in states with free population to do so, miltia become trained either from a chance in combat or chance to be trained by a leader each turn, corp or brigade or army.

-Leaders can, and will, die in combat.

I will be using lots of screenshots to show the current game position, along with detailed reports of plans/history and events. Peoples ideas, input and comments are VERY welcome! I have a passion for civil war history, and this is a wonderful game.

Lastly WHO SHOULD I BE?

The Union OR The Confederacy?
The blue or the grey?

Confederate anthem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsHv0uPstk
Union anthem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mmFPyDK_8

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:52:51 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LEt's Play Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »

Some of the characters

Robert E. Lee

A mild mannered gentleman from Virginia. He rose to be one of the greatest leaders ever to live.

Robert Edward Lee (January 19, 1807 – October 12, 1870) was a career United States Army officer and combat engineer. He became the commanding general of the Confederate army in the American Civil War and a postwar icon of the South's "lost cause."

A top graduate of West Point, Lee distinguished himself as an exceptional soldier in the U.S. Army for thirty-two years. He is best known for having commanded the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia in the American Civil War.

In early 1861, President Abraham Lincoln invited Lee to take command of the entire Union Army. Lee declined because his home state of Virginia was, despite his wishes, seceding from the Union. When Virginia declared its secession from the Union in April 1861, Lee chose to follow his home state.[1] Lee's eventual role in the newly established Confederacy was to serve as a senior military adviser to President Jefferson Davis.

Ulysses S. Grant

A drunk and a failure in everything but war, he climbed the ranks to lead the whole Union army to victory over the Confederacy.

Ulysses S. Grant (born Hiram Ulysses Grant; April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885) was the 18th President of the United States (1869–1877) as well as military commander during the Civil War and post-war Reconstruction periods. Under Grant's command, the Union Army defeated the Confederate military and ended the Confederate States of America.

More to come....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:59:07 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »

...Smaller, spoilered images, please?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:56:20 pm »

Am working on it, was an error :D

*fixed
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:59:21 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:05:41 pm »

Example game screen from he Confederate point of view:

*Ill explain what stuff means when i begin!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:08:51 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »

Man, dis shit be wack, yo.

Is it possible for Confederates to declare emancipation? If so, totally play as them and subvert the hell out of history.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:11:46 pm »

I dont think they can, for historical stability i guess :D the confederates can however call on drafts like the usa can. I will check this though.

* I checked the manual, Confederates, strangely enough, cant free the slaves :D infact if the USA emancipates the slaves the Confederacy automatically gets +100 moral (start with 1000 each side).

Also an important thing - the cost and amount of troops that can be raised is proportional to the national moral. So low moral will result in fewer soldiers signing up etc. This makes suicidal 'zerg rushing' a terrible idea. I will explain this in more detail upon playing as the leaders and moral plays a massive role in the game.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:19:05 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:05:19 pm »

All right then, go Union and attempt to make the entire army black people.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »

I dont think they can, for historical stability i guess :D the confederates can however call on drafts like the usa can. I will check this though.

* I checked the manual, Confederates, strangely enough, cant free the slaves :D infact if the USA emancipates the slaves the Confederacy automatically gets +100 moral (start with 1000 each side).

Actually I've seen many alternate histories where the Confederates do manage to abandon slavery, partially to gain the support of European powers so that they can bail the CSA out. And I've also seen several alternate histories where the Confederates abolish slavery after the Civil War so that the war's not completely worthless. And in real life, near the end of the Civil War, the CSA got desperate and granted freedom to blacks who served in their armies...

Oh, and go Confederates and attempt to make the entire army black people. Or white. I don't really care.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:38:39 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 12:05:39 am »

Let's go with the north and try to win without using any boats whatsoever!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:51:35 am »

I like barbarossas idea :D, as for the slavery ones, you cant free slaves as the confederacy!

Ive never tried winning without a navy as the union. I found it hard enough using both to win :D

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 04:58:43 am »

Play as the CSA, show those damn Yankees that their petty "industry" and "navy" and "economic superiority" mean nothing against the pride of the South!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 05:03:01 am »

heh :D

So we have 1 for the north and 1 for the south and about 500 who want black confederate armies  :P

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 09:40:30 am »

Ok, I will play this game as the SOUTH, After i may play one as the north, but for this game we fight for Dixie!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 09:45:58 am »

Rock and roll. Let's break history!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2 3 4