Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chances of 3 Forgotten Beasts?  (Read 2512 times)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of 3 Forgotten Beasts?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:25 pm »

Are they drown-able?
In theory, yes. Some tend to be anthromorphic animals ( Goats and the like. ) So if the animal they are can't swim, then logic would probably dictate the FB can't either.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »

Tell that to the raven that climbed in though my well.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 10:37:45 pm »

The best fun is to gather up a half-dozen or dozen, then abandon and reclaim the fort.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:56:30 pm »

I've had 8-10 Fbs running around in my basement at one time. they arrived over the course of nearly a decade, but still.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:05:28 pm »

Has anyone considered caging them?

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 11:33:10 pm »

It's impossible without modding. They are immune to traps unless unconscious, and they never fall unconscious.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:28 pm »

Cave in dust will knock anything out, so you can get them then.  Of course, you probably won't catch it that way unless you already had something set up.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 11:40:39 pm »

Yeah, I've had around 5 of these jack holes running around outside my fortress before.  Mostly because I don't let them in so they can't kill or be killed.  The ones I do get around to fighting vary greatly in their difficulty.  Some are surprisingly easy to kill, some are impossible.  And some die just fine but in death find a way to kill all my dwarves in the process.

Pay close attention to the material they're made of and the gases/secretions or whatever they spew.  If they're made of some kind of normal flesh then they're at least killable.  Avoid blob like creatures.  Like creatures made from jell-o pudding or something.  You can hack on those things all day and it won't do any good.  Creatures made from metal or stone are similarly indestructible but for different reasons. 

As for the gases/secretions...those are a little iffy.  Some of them don't seem to do much of anything.  Others are quite deadly.  My only advice is to make sure to kill them as quickly as possible.

It's impossible without modding. They are immune to traps unless unconscious, and they never fall unconscious.

Also, don't bother chaining a dog to a wall in the hopes of using it as bait to trap a forgotten beast in a room using vertical bars.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:43:07 pm by Lemunde »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 11:42:25 pm »

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that webs negate trap immune.
This info is relatively useless against web immune creatures.
Suggestion:GCS on a tiny island surrounded by a1 tile radius, non- ramp pit, further surrounded by cage traps...
or a fortification box should do.
someone used this tactic was used for the demons before, so it problably works FB's too.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 01:56:04 am »

easy FB farm ^^ cap GCS, do this by leading it down a trapped hallway (gcs are not trap immune are they? didn't see it in its raws) after capturing said spider, put the cage in the center of a Large room with paths leading up from the caverns and also from the outside world (to capture titans and other unfortunate beings) link spiders cage to lever somewhere safe, and proceed to wall the spider in on all sides with fortification (gcs webs are a ranged attack and should pass through fortifications no?) put doors/flood gates/ something else that can not be destroyed by building destroyers while open around outside of fortifications, links said objects to lever.

Trap entire room with cage traps. release spider. Open up fail safe drawbridges (these would need to be installed prior to gcs installation/room access to caverns/outside world) possibly with a fail safe pressure switch to another drawbridge leading into your fortress, just incase something slips by.

open all drawbridges and the doors around the fortifications (to allow spider to shoot webs and stop FB from destroying them), watch FB and other fun things come in and get webbed and trapped. close draw bridges, close doors around GCS, go in collect FBs and spare webs, do all over again.

this is a bit complicated and may deserve some more dwarven science put into it, as i'm relativly new to this game (i've only ever breached the first cavern layer, and that was just today, i have yet to stand off with either a FB or GCS, or anything else that fun, as a matter of fact my only brush with anything hostile was a goblin ambush that killed my 3rd fortress, the is fortress number 5.)

And of course it has lots and lots of implications as far as fun go, mis build the drawbridges/ doors/anything. and your dwares will get webbed, your fortress destroyed, and who knows what else, but this sounds like a much more fun way to get rid of fbs then standard lava/collapse/water trap

murhapuro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:17 am »

In my current game I have a gigantic quadruped composed of flame boiling my underground lake. I ain't going nowhere near that thingy, partly beacause it's cool but mostly because it seems so much Fun.

I have another beastie there somewhere but I haven't seen it for a while...

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 05:15:44 am »

I think I have to resum what fits to ALL forgotten beasts.

Random generated.

Trap immune, they don't trigger traps and pressure plates, similar to kobolds and gremlins I think.

Amphibic, they can breathe underwater, they can't drown.

They don't bleed, they can't die from bleeding.

They don't exaust, they never fall to the ground from exaustion.

They never fall unconcious, even by cave ins, they just fall to the ground and get hurt (maybe).

They never feel tired.

THey don't feel pain, they never give in to pain.

They CAN swim, each of them.

They are building destroyers 2.

They have no gender.

Qietust on the wiki made a forgotten beast extraktor, here are his results on common traits on them: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Forgotten_beast#Common_properties
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:27:13 am by niggy »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 05:26:28 am »

Anyone tried webbing them on top of cage traps yet?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 07:07:50 am »

In my current game I have a gigantic quadruped composed of flame boiling my underground lake. I ain't going nowhere near that thingy, partly beacause it's cool but mostly because it seems so much Fun.

I have another beastie there somewhere but I haven't seen it for a while...
ahhh... what?
cold boiling fire? weird.

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 07:37:55 am »

ahhh... what?
cold boiling fire? weird.

In this context, "cool" is slang for "awesome" or "impressive."
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110
Pages: 1 [2] 3