Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chances of 3 Forgotten Beasts?  (Read 2513 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chances of 3 Forgotten Beasts?
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:42:51 pm »

In my fort i got a message saying i have a forgotten beast, couple minutes later another one and one more time...

1.) Some kind of narrow red feather floating monster that spits poison.
2.) A Tall snail that can fly and spits its insides out
3.) A Flying Skinless lizard that shoots webs

All of the monsters are in my underground tunnels. Is it possible to make a 3 layer ring around a staircase and capture them?

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of 3 Forgotten Beasts?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:28 pm »

I have only fought one or two forgotten beasts so far. Even the ones that are not made out of stainless steel or other inorganic materials take an enormous amount of punishment to kill.

I don't think cage traps work at all - and while you could probably pen one in with walls or drawbridges I'd be very careful about that. I think wall crushing is a common trait for forgotten beasts?

When I dig into caverns I often create some sort of entry obstruction similar to those I make for my main fort entrance. Combo bridge/pit arrangement that 99% of creatures cannot possibly get across. Except of course for a flying wall crusher. Get one of those and I think you're pretty much S.O.L.

I notice that at least 2 out of 3 of yours (or all 3?) can fly. GL w/that.  :o

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:14:21 pm »

I know I had three in my first DF2010 fortress, but I don't think all at the same time.

Funny story though, killed all of them by forcing traders to take an exit path through the caverns on their embarkation.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »

Forgotten beasts have a tendency to show up like that when your fort is cranking out wealth, so if you settle in the caverns or...God forbid...mine out adamantine early on and turn it in to stuff you may find yourself attacked by forgotten beasts pretty frequently.  Thankfully, forgotten beasts generally are pushovers so long as their attacks don't have syndromes attached to them...I had a fort laid low by one beast's vapors (apparently the dwarves thought it was a good idea to eat food coated with the stuff) so they can really mess things up depending on the nature of their attack.

Now, surface titans on the other hand...nothing to worry about.  Dragons and hydras are only notable for making valuable soap.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:51:54 pm »

The bad thing about forgotten beasts is that ALL of them don't bleed, don't fall unconcious, don't exaust, are trapimmune, buildingdestroyers, magmasafe, amphibian, uh and poisonimmune I think.
Most of them fly and have sometimes pretty badass poisons.

These are the real natural enemies of the fort, becaus titans aren't that badass like the underground versions ( I think, or they just come less frequently) and much more evil then the old megabeasts.

I wish more of the same sort could spawn, and they loose some of their onborn abilities.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:58:20 pm »

The bad thing about forgotten beasts is that ALL of them don't bleed, don't fall unconcious, don't exaust, are trapimmune, buildingdestroyers, magmasafe, amphibian, uh and poisonimmune I think.
Most of them fly and have sometimes pretty badass poisons.

These are the real natural enemies of the fort, becaus titans aren't that badass like the underground versions ( I think, or they just come less frequently) and much more evil then the old megabeasts.

I wish more of the same sort could spawn, and they loose some of their onborn abilities.

They aren't all magmasafe. I had one attack my fort and come in through my magma operation. It knocked a couple smelters apart before my military got there. First dwarf took a swing at the Forgotten Beast and it dodged into the magma channel of the smelter it destroyed. I thought it was just hiding there, so I kept my military nearby in case it came back out. Imagine my surprise when I got the message that it had burned to death.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:02:20 pm »

Are they drown-able?

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:07:39 pm »

Are they drown-able?

That I don't know.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:38 pm »

The one I fought most recently spent a while chasing around a bunch of snake-women in the caverns before I went after it, so it was pretty banged up by the time I got there (missing lots of toes and such).

Took forever to kill but it had trouble doing any damage to my steel clad dwarves even though their skills were modest.

It did scratch one of my warriors and get its blood in the cut though. That didn't go so well. She left most of her shield hand on the operating table. We call her 'Righty' now.  ;)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that webs negate trap immune.
This info is relatively useless against web immune creatures.
Suggestion:GCS on a tiny island surrounded by a1 tile radius, non- ramp pit, further surrounded by cage traps...
or a fortification box should do.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:42:19 pm »

I wonder if i could assign all of my dwarfs (68) to military and just send them down there. Probably kill 1 or just steam roll them one by one...

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »

Heh, 3. I like that. Only three.

My current fort has about eight, most of them dead (at great expense, in the form of permanently blind dwarves and a small tantrum spiral), and more just keep coming.

I think I'm going to start building cave-in FB traps. They trigger pressure plates, right? I can lure them in with cheap buildings and have them collapse a wall-laden roof onto themselves.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:02:49 pm »

Wow well.. The Second beast was vary easy to kill. My swordsmen knocked his limbs easy. Well i was sieged again by furyman. All of them riding salt water crocodiles and war elephants... I said fuck it and send my military of 9 out and they half of the dwarfs got slaughtered, the rest ran away, maybe because they saw THE FORGOTTEN BEAST. Oh did i forget to mention that the beast can paralyze? That was the first one, the third one was chillen on the water.

EDIT
This beast destroyed my fortress, basterd....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:18:20 pm by Comrade »

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »

Are they drown-able?

In my experience, they are not. I had a forgotten beast dodge into a small pond on the surface. He could never get out, and never died. I just sealed up the pond and went on with business as usual.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 08:34:38 pm »

It's possible they arrived at different times and were just noticed at once...  I had a game where the FB had definitely arrived, but wasn't noticed--wound up savescumming a couple times due to massive death, but it was the same FB every time.  Later, with the caverns mostly explored, savescumming back to before the FB entered the map resulted in a different FB showing up time.

AFAIK, the FB shows up when the game decides you need one.  You only get the announcements when you actually notice them.

F'rex, I've probably got 2 or 3 running around in my caverns right now, but I haven't gotten the message because I haven't managed to dig down there yet.

Oh, and traps/bridge-crushing definitely doesn't work on them.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: [1] 2 3