Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093245 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11220 on: November 08, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »

What's not emphasized a lot as well was that the vast majority of people investigated by the Spanish Inquisition were found innocent, and those found guilty had to stuff like publicly recant, having to wear a silly-looking hat and promising to go to church twice a week. Its still pretty ridiculous, but its more reasonable than the perception of all inquisitors being from Warhammer 40k and going "death to all heretics" all the time.

Definitely hoping for even more interesting Pope/ruler interaction. Maybe even some power politics within the church itself simulating the struggle between the pope and the council of cardinals.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11221 on: November 08, 2016, 04:45:02 pm »

Historically speaking, in most cases you would actually want Inquisitor to conduct your trial, since, unlike local authorities and angry mobs, they actually bothered to investigate and get solid proofs. They get a lot of bad reputation for torture and whatnot, but compared to the methods at the time it wasn't that much worse because they actually tortured you to get information (or as a punishment for your crime but some of those ways to die aren't that bad... and they did it all in good will, wanting you to repent for your sins so you could get in Heaven) which, compared to "torture for fun and profit" of others was pretty good thing. They were reasonably modern for the times.

Of course, this could be problematic. I recall that all Inquisitors that happened in Poland were specifically requested to visit for one case by the accused, whoever might want to help him or, in rare cases, authorities like King and that, sadly, usually ended in the accused dying in prison due to shitty accomodation before the Inquisitor even arrived.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: November 08, 2016, 06:08:21 pm »

AFAIK, the Inquisition proper was not allowed to torture. Doesn't mean they didn't do it, they just didn't do it in-house. Outsourced torture is best torture.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:38 pm »

As a religious institution I don't think they were permitted to spill blood. They could do anything that wouldn't break the skin in theory, like how crusader priests would fight with blunt weapons but weren't meant to use edged ones.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: November 08, 2016, 06:29:17 pm »

As a religious institution I don't think they were permitted to spill blood. They could do anything that wouldn't break the skin in theory, like how crusader priests would fight with blunt weapons but weren't meant to use edged ones.
THAT is actually bullshit. Macing someone in the face will still spill blood anyway. Plenty o' the stuff. It did happen with Bishop Odo of Bayeux, but that was for different reasons that also involved trying to game the system. Just a different restriction.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: November 08, 2016, 06:42:20 pm »

I am certain I read about a priest who fought in the crusades with a mace.

EDIT: Turns out that was probably Odo that I had read about as he apparently partook in the 1st Crusade, and I have found mention of a few priests who were supposed to bear weapons such as swords and spears.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:51:04 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: November 08, 2016, 07:17:43 pm »

Unrelated, but when I read that at first, I was wondering how this conversation turned to star trek :P

Regardless, I've started a game as the nomad jews once again. Here's hoping I survive :P

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: November 08, 2016, 07:51:42 pm »

Historically speaking, in most cases you would actually want Inquisitor to conduct your trial, since, unlike local authorities and angry mobs, they actually bothered to investigate and get solid proofs. They get a lot of bad reputation for torture and whatnot, but compared to the methods at the time it wasn't that much worse because they actually tortured you to get information (or as a punishment for your crime but some of those ways to die aren't that bad... and they did it all in good will, wanting you to repent for your sins so you could get in Heaven) which, compared to "torture for fun and profit" of others was pretty good thing. They were reasonably modern for the times.
This is basically why witch trials were uncommon in Spain as opposed to most of the rest of continental Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: November 08, 2016, 08:12:32 pm »

This is basically why witch trials were uncommon in Spain as opposed to most of the rest of continental Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Especially Spain, but most of Catholic Europe followed suit as well.  Witch hunts in the Early Modern period were largely a Protestant phenomenon, but more than that, were most extant in already-miserable lands.  For example, in the war-torn, ravaged, and generally authority-deficient Germanies, I believe they outmatched the rest of Europe by at least an order of magnitude if I recall my numbers properly.  In addition to the questionable evidence which did not lend itself well to the inquisitorial system of judgment, simply believing in witches was a sort of heterodoxy rooted in superstition for much of the CK period.   It wasn't until the practice of witchcraft itself was conflated with heterodoxy and Satanism that the Catholic Church was even willing at an institutional level to consider the possibility of witches, and even then, they balked hard when it came to things like the Malleus Maleficarum, which was banned in 1490 and the Dominican inquisitors responsible censured. 

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: November 08, 2016, 08:46:38 pm »

I wouldn't go as far to say witch trials were largely Protestant. From what I understood close to equal numbers were done by both groups. Yeah, the Catholic Church was pretty opposed to witch burning in CKII era, which is one reason I'm happy its rarely in the game. The only time I've had someone accused of being a witch was the demon child event. But while the Malleus Maleficarum was the subject of a papal bull, Catholic nations did have witch trials too, especially France and Germany. Like you said, Germany's witch trials outstripped everyone else, but from what I understood the only places where it wasn't a big phenomenon was England (with a few exceptions), Ireland, and Spain.

But back on topic, I really hope they do more neat stuff with some of the current Christian heresies. I started a game as a Duke of Wessex who went Lollard and have managed to form the empire of Britannia, but other than converting all my provinces to Lollard and holy warring Catholics, there's not a lot of stuff to do with the heresy.
Sigtext

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: November 14, 2016, 11:35:17 pm »

I've just managed to die in less then a week playtime.
Set up a fresh game, unpause in the beginning and immediately get a "you've become sick" event.
Unpause again and get the game over screen 2 seconds later.

Thank you game, I hate you too.

Probably nothing special, but I found it to be pretty funny after I had finished headdesking.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: November 18, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »

I'm playing as Danmark, trying to form the Empire of Scandinavia. My wife has a strong, pressable claim on Svea Rike; if I press it, will I also get Svea Rike immediately, or will I have to wait for my heir to inherit it?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: November 18, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »

You'll have to wait for your heir to inherit.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: November 18, 2016, 05:14:10 pm »

Of course, accidents can always happen. And if they end up speeding it along...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11234 on: November 19, 2016, 12:43:34 am »

Unfortunately, both nations had elective succession, so I was forced to abandon that angle of attack and instead take it piece-by-piece.

It's been quite a battle. Over three characters, I've managed to capture 7 counties of Swedish land. Three more to go.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1002