Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090253 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10410 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:14 am »

Being on receiving end of Jihad helps. But yes, I myself couldn't pass past medium.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: April 25, 2016, 11:16:41 am »

Have you tried calling in favour? There is a "request council support" that will make them vote like you.

1) my council are skilled counts for the most part, and the empire needs 140 votes to pass any law

2) pretty sure favours are from the actual DLC, so as far as I'm concerned they're just shitting on the base-game players by making an entire wing of the game almost useless unless you buy the DLC.

Oh, ok, it's not the council voting but everyone. Uh. Try to reduce the number of vassals by creating vassal kings?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: April 25, 2016, 03:20:28 pm »

Have you tried calling in favour? There is a "request council support" that will make them vote like you.

1) my council are skilled counts for the most part, and the empire needs 140 votes to pass any law

2) pretty sure favours are from the actual DLC, so as far as I'm concerned they're just shitting on the base-game players by making an entire wing of the game almost useless unless you buy the DLC.

Oh, ok, it's not the council voting but everyone. Uh. Try to reduce the number of vassals by creating vassal kings?

I have six subordinate kings and nobody above Duke level appears in the voter list apparently
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: April 25, 2016, 03:28:40 pm »

The "voting list" shows only your opponents (If I guess right what are you looking at). It excludes those who cast their vote in your favour. Kings definitely have a vote.

Passing a law is hard, but doable. Though at medium authority it becomes harder. I couldn't do it without being on receiving end of Jihad.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10414 on: April 25, 2016, 05:03:49 pm »

I wonder if it might be simpler to build a tall empire as fast as possible (minimal lords), then up your laws to the maximum, THEN expand.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: April 25, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »

I wonder if it might be simpler to build a tall empire as fast as possible (minimal lords), then up your laws to the maximum, THEN expand.

Without Conclave, yeah that's easier to get done laws wise, since you have less voters to manage, but it takes several generations to max everything out and leaves little time to really expand in.

With Conclave you only have to get the votes of 3 councilors to pass whatever laws you want, assuming the council even gets a vote, so there's no benefit to delaying expansion for passing laws
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: April 26, 2016, 04:31:15 am »

I think the Caliph also stays Muslim, since he's head of the faith and cannot change religion until the Caliph title is destroyed.

I had the Fatimid Caliphate convert en-masse to Yazidi one game. I'm pretty sure, though not 100% certain that the Caliph converted as well.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: April 26, 2016, 09:30:06 pm »

I'm going on an Alexander the Great run

goal #1: re-conquer his empire (starting from a close approximation of ancient Macedonia)

goal #2: restore the hellenistic period

goal #3: see if I can correctly order the kingdoms of the daidochi

Various mods etc.

Anyone know of any Roman mods for CKII??? (updated preferably, but not required) or even pre-roman mods considering.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: April 26, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »

Anyone know of any Roman mods for CKII??? (updated preferably, but not required) or even pre-roman mods considering.

This. EU:Rome was a disaster but left me craving one of my favorite periods of history.

Lux Invicta tries by giving us a "What if?" time period, but it's both out of date and meh.

I would definitely play a mod centered around dynastic play in Rome. Even as a "lowly" governor (or magistrate, whatever), I would take pride in raising "proper" Roman children. :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: April 26, 2016, 09:54:33 pm »

This. EU:Rome was a disaster but left me craving one of my favorite periods of history.

Lux Invicta tries by giving us a "What if?" time period, but it's both out of date and meh.

I would definitely play a mod centered around dynastic play in Rome. Even as a "lowly" governor (or magistrate, whatever), I would take pride in raising "proper" Roman children. :P

I'm actually quite surprised now that I think about it. Both Rome and Ancient Greece seem like perfect settings/time periods for CKII
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: April 26, 2016, 10:11:40 pm »

When the World Stopped Making Sense sets the start date back at the fall of the Western Empire, and yes you can play as it (though they are pretty much reduced to Italy and about to be attacked by the Ostrogoths.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: April 26, 2016, 10:35:39 pm »

I'm actually quite surprised now that I think about it. Both Rome and Ancient Greece seem like perfect settings/time periods for CKII
You'd need a provincial governor system, and some way of simulating the Senate and Consuls for the Republic, but it does sound doable in CKII.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: April 27, 2016, 06:09:48 am »

Next version will have some changes as to how ironman and "sandbox" modes work: When starting a game you can pick what options you want.
    Sandbox vs Ironman
    Shattered Retreats: On/Off
    Defensive Pacts: On/Off
    Gender Equality: Default/Historical/All/Players
    Sunset Invasion: 13th Century/Random/Off
    Mongol Invasion: Historical/Random/Off
    Raiding: Historical/Unrestricted/None
    Epidemics: Dynamic/Historical/Deadly
    “Supernatural” Events: On/Off
    Adventurers: Normal/Rare/None
    Provincial Revolts: Normal/Rare/None
    Regencies: On/Off
    De Jure Drift: Default/Restricted/Off
    Dynamic Kingdoms and Empires: On/Off
    Diplomatic Range: On/Off

Stuff in red disables achievements. Options are moddable.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:06 am »

Do not the 'Bears' and 'Platypi' options :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: April 27, 2016, 11:53:25 am »

Not remotely. The game mechanics don't fit anything before the 1100s. The 769 and 867 start dates are abominations. For example, "count" was an appointed position in Carolingian France, not a inheritable title. It remained so until the late 11th century when the French crown started to lose control.

CK2's entire vassal/liege fiction abstracts a specific period of time of relative decentralization (and arguably anarchy) in Western Europe. It makes no sense to try and get ancient Rome and Greece into that model.

EU4's mechanics would work way better for the ancient world, although you'd need to mess with the tech system and other rules somewhat.
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1002