Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090095 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10425 on: April 27, 2016, 12:27:59 pm »

I'm actually quite surprised now that I think about it. Both Rome and Ancient Greece seem like perfect settings/time periods for CKII

Not remotely. The game mechanics don't fit anything before the 1100s. The 769 and 867 start dates are abominations. For example, "count" was an appointed position in Carolingian France, not a inheritable title. It remained so until the late 11th century when the French crown started to lose control.
Appointed counts could actually work in CK2 if we had any way of extending the viceroy system to count-level characters.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: April 27, 2016, 04:54:04 pm »

Next version will have some changes as to how ironman and "sandbox" modes work: When starting a game you can pick what options you want.
    Sandbox vs Ironman
    Shattered Retreats: On/Off
    Defensive Pacts: On/Off
    Gender Equality: Default/Historical/All/Players
    Sunset Invasion: 13th Century/Random/Off
    Mongol Invasion: Historical/Random/Off
    Raiding: Historical/Unrestricted/None
    Epidemics: Dynamic/Historical/Deadly
    “Supernatural” Events: On/Off
    Adventurers: Normal/Rare/None
    Provincial Revolts: Normal/Rare/None
    Regencies: On/Off
    De Jure Drift: Default/Restricted/Off
    Dynamic Kingdoms and Empires: On/Off
    Diplomatic Range: On/Off

Stuff in red disables achievements. Options are moddable.
Holy crap, that's wonderful!  I wonder how detailed the Gender Equality thing will be.  Better Genders Law had to jump through a lot of hoops, and didn't work at all for Republics for example.  Or Iqta at first, but I think that was overcome thanks to Paradox patches.  Fingers crossed (:

Sunset Invasion option seemed pointless (since you can disable DLC easily) until I noticed "random".  Yesssss...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: April 27, 2016, 10:51:21 pm »

What's the difference between historical and default gender equality?  I always figured default was as close as they could get to historical within the limitations of their system.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: April 27, 2016, 10:56:39 pm »

What's the difference between historical and default gender equality?  I always figured default was as close as they could get to historical within the limitations of their system.

Probably no matrilineal marriages or something like that.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: April 28, 2016, 12:13:02 am »

Probably no matrilineal marriages or something like that.
Matrilineal marriages were historical.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: April 28, 2016, 12:57:45 am »

Default allows changing gender laws with conclave things while historical limits gender equality completely to the couple of religions?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: April 28, 2016, 05:56:28 am »

Default allows changing gender laws with conclave things while historical limits gender equality completely to the couple of religions?
I don't know. Maybe it limits it for certain cultures. The whole "women can't inherit thing" was only a thing in western Europe for France and Germany (in other words, areas conquered by Charlemagne) because of the salic law (that also what the game calls gavelkind).
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: April 28, 2016, 06:20:57 am »

I'm not talking about inheritance - that is a separate set of laws - but about women having council positions, leading armies and so forth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: April 28, 2016, 06:33:45 am »

I don't know. Maybe it limits it for certain cultures. The whole "women can't inherit thing" was only a thing in western Europe for France and Germany (in other words, areas conquered by Charlemagne) because of the salic law (that also what the game calls gavelkind).

What I'd like to see in game is situation where a the husband get effective control of whatever his wife inherited.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: April 28, 2016, 09:14:32 pm »

What I'd like to see in game is situation where a the husband get effective control of whatever his wife inherited.

What I'd like to see in game is situation where a wife gets effective control of whatever her husband has, but keeps hubby as the figurehead.  Like real life.  :P

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: April 29, 2016, 03:19:31 am »

I decided to jump out of the shoes of my empress and take a step down in power to Basileus Of The Byzantine Empire Of West Serbia And Jerusalem.

It feels weird, only having 14,000 troops and +20 cash a month.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: May 01, 2016, 05:28:11 pm »

My brother has just sent me a screenshot of his current games Pope.

He's excommunicated.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10437 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55:37 pm »

My brother has just sent me a screenshot of his current games Pope.

He's excommunicated.

Let's see... in my game, Danmark has unified everything from Northern France to Poland, plus a lot of Austria, and all of Norway, and scattered colonies throughout Brittania. For some reason they haven't formed an Empire yet. The most popular religion is the Reformed Germanic faith, which extends far past the borders of Danmark. Italy is the last psuedocatholic state, although strictly speaking it's Lollard. Zika is the majority form of Islam, and the empire of Hispania is firmly Buddhist.

Then there's the Golden Horde, which invaded around 1200 and stalled out fairly quickly....
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: May 01, 2016, 06:46:16 pm »

Zika is the majority form of Islam
Amusing as this may be, you are thinking of Zikri

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: May 01, 2016, 07:05:05 pm »

Well, it finally happened. A Catholic crusade for Greece was called in 1114 with the hopes of reclaiming land from the Sunni caliphate. Then a war started within to remove the caliph from the throne, and despite my fefusal to join, actually won. Then when the new caliph took over, I had a choice. I could either stay in the empire… or take my freedom. I chose the latter, and Persia was at long last restored. The fall of the new emperor did not take long(20 years dealing with internal wars, a stagnating crusade, and the stress finally killed him), and when he died, I saw that I could press a weak claim on the new child emperor. I knew I had to take this shot while the crusade still lasted, even though it posed a risk to the Sunni moral authority. After a couple of years of sieging down his holdings, I had accumulated 100% war score and saw that the Catholics had 80% warscore (exactly what they had 2 years ago!). Finally, I took matters into my own hands, usurped the empire and caliphate, and fought for seven years to bring the crusade to 100% warscore and teach the infidels a lesson. Now I control the Persian empire, the Abbasids empire, the kingdoms of Georgia, Alania, and Sindhi, and I'm the caliph. Unfortunately, I have like 76% threat and virtually everyone in the known world will join in a war against me if I'm the aggressor.

Also, I think this was the longest crusade I've ever seen. It started in 1114 and ended in 1143! 29 years!(if only it were thirty). 2 Popes died of old age during it and 4 different caliphs fought in it, as well as a fifth contributing troops (vassal Shi'a caliph)!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1002