Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092051 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10050 on: March 21, 2016, 05:05:45 pm »

OK, I have to ask, does playing ironman increase the difficulty, or is it exclusively no savescumming/cheating? If the former, at least I know WHY I'm getting dicked over. If the latter, the best I can assume is the game is under the impression that ironman mode *actually* means 'No savescumming or cheating, and the player enjoys not being able to last more than 50 years before getting fucked up the ass'

I was under the impression it was only no savescumming.

Yep, it prevents save-scumming & cheating [ex. the console is disabled]. The AI is still shit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: March 21, 2016, 05:17:31 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:42 pm »

OK, I have to ask, does playing ironman increase the difficulty, or is it exclusively no savescumming/cheating? If the former, at least I know WHY I'm getting dicked over. If the latter, the best I can assume is the game is under the impression that ironman mode *actually* means 'No savescumming or cheating, and the player enjoys not being able to last more than 50 years before getting fucked up the ass'
I didn't experience any change. 50 years is a long time, but being medieval ruler is hard and dangerous job, what did you expect. That game is all about screwing you over.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:11 pm »

I was under the impression it was only no savescumming.

All my games have been ironman games, and they last hunners of years. This in Ireland, Scotland, the non Charlie France, Rogaland and Munda (India)
Ironman does 3 things:

1. No manual saving / loading.
2. No console.
3. The game autosaves constantly, nonstop, for everything.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10054 on: March 21, 2016, 05:26:14 pm »

That sounds like horrendously crash-inducing thing.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: March 21, 2016, 05:30:24 pm »

Seems alright when I do it. Game hangs a bit on 4th of January and July every year, and if the game ever does but out it pretty much becomes irrecoverable, but... It's alright.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: March 21, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »

It's lag-inducing, but it never crashed on saving for me.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: March 21, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »

I haven't had it crash (not sure if I've ever had CK2 crash at all) but the autosaves get really freakin annoying eventually.  Particularly once you've practically won and decide to see what your vassals and foreign states do over time...  It's practically always saving.

Plus, no mods.  I got some dank achievements, now I'd rather play with Better Gender Laws at the least.
And probably one of those mods that basically re-enables paid assassins, too.  Because seriously.  You're sitting on a vault that would make Indiana Jones wet his pants, but no party is willing to murder that asshole count?  Nonsense.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10058 on: March 21, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »

You'd think they could find a way to save in the background somehow.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: March 21, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »

I haven't had it crash (not sure if I've ever had CK2 crash at all) but the autosaves get really freakin annoying eventually.  Particularly once you've practically won and decide to see what your vassals and foreign states do over time...  It's practically always saving.

Plus, no mods.  I got some dank achievements, now I'd rather play with Better Gender Laws at the least.
And probably one of those mods that basically re-enables paid assassins, too.  Because seriously.  You're sitting on a vault that would make Indiana Jones wet his pants, but no party is willing to murder that asshole count?  Nonsense.
Yup.

I'm really annoyed by it. I have so many mods I want to play with but the Achievement Hunter in me can't handle not getting Achievements. Though I kinda already have all the ones I want... so I'm probably going to start playing with mods again soon.

I really like how achievements work with mods for XCOM 2. I mean, some people say it makes cheating for achievements easy but honestly... I think achievements are just something you use to measure yourself. No one else gives a shit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: March 21, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »

Exactly.  I'm pretty sure I've heard of apps that let you trivially gain achievements in whatever Steam game.  I think Slowbeef mentioned them on a podcast even.  It's really just a matter of what you personally want.

Helps that I lucked into the count-to-emperor achievement...  With a badass as hell Norwegian *countess*...  And that was rad.  But the achievement just underscored that fylkir-lady's badass accomplishment.  (she managed to reform the faith at nearly 80)

The breaking point was probably when I was establishing the Roman Republic from a Mali start, and Horse Lords came out, and suddenly I had millions of piety and fame.  In Ironman.  That was fun but was the final blow freeing me from what little connection I had to the achievement hunt.

Really, mods were always better than achievements.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: March 21, 2016, 07:13:40 pm »

Well I just got beat in a half hour as a single county nomad. Nice.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: March 21, 2016, 07:51:14 pm »

I tried Haestein of Nantes, hearing good things about him. He dies of severe stress 3 years into the game. His son Ragnarr murders both his brothers and becomes duke of Cornwall and Britanny, vassalized to the King of Wales. However, he holds no land in Brittany, having lost it to a liberation revolt. So the King of Brittany and the Duke of Brittany are totally different people, with no vassal-liege relationship, and the Duke holds lands in Cornwall. GG game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:51 am »

Yup.

I'm really annoyed by it. I have so many mods I want to play with but the Achievement Hunter in me can't handle not getting Achievements. Though I kinda already have all the ones I want... so I'm probably going to start playing with mods again soon.

I really like how achievements work with mods for XCOM 2. I mean, some people say it makes cheating for achievements easy but honestly... I think achievements are just something you use to measure yourself. No one else gives a shit.

I alternate between mods and ironman.  After accidentally unlocking achievements I didn't deserve for Mount & Blade: Warband due to mods, I actually prefer the "no achievements for mods".

Probably my only real complaint about achievements is that each major update (aka DLC) ruins save compatibility.  That puts a damper on some of the longer-term ironman achievements.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: March 22, 2016, 02:46:28 am »

Yup.

I alternate between mods and ironman.  After accidentally unlocking achievements I didn't deserve for Mount & Blade: Warband due to mods, I actually prefer the "no achievements for mods".

Probably my only real complaint about achievements is that each major update (aka DLC) ruins save compatibility.  That puts a damper on some of the longer-term ironman achievements.
Yeah. I still haven't gotten the 7 centuries achievement after so long.

Though I think that might be more because I'm too lazy to actually play for 7 centuries. I'm definitely not going to do it on this Islamic run. Hell, I'm glad I don't ever have to play a Muslim any more. Their decadence mechanic is utter horseshit. Between managing decadence to the neverending spam of decadent relatives... I'm glad to never see it again. Also the fact that they can never change their succession laws is also pretty boring.
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1002