Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2090409 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7005 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:53 pm »

Weird.  Trying multiplayer for once, my friend is at 2.3.2 PMUR while I'm at 2.3.2 MMUR (the latest).  Not sure why his copy hasn't updated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: January 25, 2015, 06:10:53 am »

Weird.  Trying multiplayer for once, my friend is at 2.3.2 PMUR while I'm at 2.3.2 MMUR (the latest).  Not sure why his copy hasn't updated.

And it's not just that he hasn't restarted the game? The game generates a new checksum when you run a game so for multiplayer to be on the same checksum you have to start from a fresh boot. Or, at least, that's how it used to be. Been a while since I multiplayered.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:24 am »

One of you probably modded the base game directly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7008 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a Sunni Jihad for Armenia. It is currently being fought between the Serbian Empire, the Byzantine Empire, the Russian Empire, Lotharinga, Cumania, Turkestan, Georgia and the entire Sunni Muslim world. Seeing as how there is still no Shia Muslim world, it is the entire Muslim world. If the Kingdom of Africa joins the war the entire Orthodox world will be fighting the entire Sunni world.

This war has been going on for 15 years now and no clear victor has yet appeared. The only good thing to come about this war is that Byzantine Jerusalem fell to the infidels who in turn fell to Serbia; now only Constantinople and Rome need fall to Serbia before the Miroslav family controls all 5 pentarchs.

Am I right in assuming that I need to gain control of the Byzantine Empire, at least temporarily to mend the great schism?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: January 25, 2015, 10:23:13 am »

THAT IS ALOT OF SUNNI.
WHY YOU HAVE SUCH SUNNI?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: January 25, 2015, 10:48:04 am »

Well, this just means that the sunnis are divided in several realms, which is good for him, I guess. It's better than when the 2 muslims realms are Ummayad (Hispania + Mauretania) and Abbassids (Arabian Empire except Mauretania, and Persian Empire).

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: January 25, 2015, 11:37:00 am »

My current game I am the humble Duke of Austria, serving Bavaria in the middle of West Blobia and Pagan Blob Pannonia.

Did I mention I am Cathar?
Along with all my vassals and family except that one asshole who I accidentally let become Catholic?

I'm a Holy War sandwich right now.

Indeed, I do this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7012 on: January 25, 2015, 12:03:29 pm »

THAT IS ALOT OF SUNNI.
WHY YOU HAVE SUCH SUNNI?
No Shias = So many Sunni

The Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre formed and joined the war just as Orthodox Turkestan fell to the Sunni. The war went on and on for a surprising amount of time; surprising because the Sunni never ceased to run out of troops. Eventually the Orthodox forces were run down by attrition enough that only Serbian Gusars held the line against the full weight of the Jihad, leading to the battle of Owshank.

An altogether pleasing outcome for the Serbian forces, I might say. This bought the time for the rest of the Orthodox forces to rally and in 1097 the Byzantines renewed the counterattack with fresh reinforcements, the Serbians marched from Jerusalem with 10,000 men to the Arabian capital and Lotharingans landed on the coast with renewed vigour. With a brief lul in Arab forces in the Armenian mountains allowing many key strongholds to be retaken the war score was for the first time in decades brought back to 0.

On the 23rd year of Jihad a white peace was drawn up. 120,000 Serbs died and the Byzantine/Arab casualties must be in the millions. The war was fought in the inhospitable clime of the mountains where attrition did just as much damage as conflict; part of what contributed to the longevity of war I suspect was the inability to form lasting doomstacks without the doomstack collapsing under its own weight. Orthodox Turkestan is now Sunni Turkestan and in the West, Sunni Andalusia is now Catholic Andalusia after it fell in a Catholic Crusade to the Knights of Calatrava. Emperor Mircea the Strong of the Serbian Empire and Emperor Branimir the Lionheart of the Russian Empire have both lost the two decades of their prime to this Jihad, and will likely have to have their successors complete their great future endeavours. Still, helps to have a head start; a Karling has been invited to stay in Serbia and will soon have his claim to Bavaria pressed. Either this helps me get one step closer to Rome or Bavaria becomes Orthodox, either way is a win for me. Just have to watch out for those Jihads. I just wish they chose a better location than the bloody Armenian mountains for a great holy war.

23 years of Jihad. It's hard to properly convey just how arduous that is. Kebab removing aint easy

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: January 25, 2015, 12:23:55 pm »

the battle of Owshank.

OW! YOU SHANKED ME!

OW! YOU SHANKED ME!

:P

Indeed, I do this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7014 on: January 25, 2015, 01:58:24 pm »

So while searching the Byzantine Empire for any angry individuals who might possibly give me a claimant to the Byzantine Empire, I stumbled upon this wonderful gem.

My Byzantine rival who I helped out in the 23 year long Sunni Jihad for Armenia is currently having an affair with his son's wife. Out of pity for the Emperor's awkward familial situation a Serbian invasion of rightful Anatolian clay has been postponed. It seems my rival Emperor of Russia found a way to destabilize the Byzantines from within.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

I don't know why, but the Shia have attempted to rise *six times* in my Principality of Mali game (867-1085).  I guess they just keep failing.  All I did was crush the Umayyads, which I would expect to *help* the Shia by weakening the Sunni...  Dunno.

Co-op multiplayer was pretty fun.  We had to get used to not hitting spacebar after every battle, and skimming through decisions faster.  On one occasion I desperately needed to retreat some soldiers and up popped the "I would be a better chancellor!" dialog in the way.  I imagined my ruler on the battlefield telling a courier "SURE WHATEVER GO AWAY".

My friend was Ivar the boneless, I played the duke of Jylland.  Massive attrition penalties knocked his doomstack down to 5K before we were situated, so we had to give up on East Anglia entirely.  With my help he won the prepared invasion of Skotland, but only got about half the counties...  Despite us occupying nearly all of them!  I guess that changed or something??

We conquested a few more counties, breaking a truce or two, but then East Francia declared a holy war on me (Jylland).  My depleted levy was only 2K men, and the catholics were coming with over 20,000.  They lost 3K men in one month due to attrition, but still.  I panicked and converted to catholicism, which was a big mistake...  My friend could no longer call me into his wars, and I lost the ability to raid and my concubines, and all to avoid losing a single county.

Fortunately my friend was able to form Skotland a year or two later, and Jylland willingly became a vassal.  Being a tribal Christian vassal was weird.  Suddenly I was able to raid again, even other Christians I'm pretty sure.  My bishop "built zeal" in my tribal capital.  I had my wife killed to ensure my Norse half-brother would inherit (I only had daughters).  I guess I could have had him educate my children, but I was making snap decisions instead of pausing.

Speaking of panicking, my Norse half-brother started a revolt.  "Cool" I thought, "I'll just let him win then play as him".  No, I'm not sure what I was thinking.

So my levy was 40 men right as the holy wars for Skotland started.  4 separate wars, I think from Ireland and Anglia mainly, but supported by thousands of troops from the mainland.  There were constant waves, and each wave was about 2-3 thousand men.  Fortunately I had nearly 500 gold from raiding, and banishing a revolt leader, and borrowing from the moneylenders.  So I was able to ship a 1500 stack over and, utilizing the mountains and cooperating, we managed to defeat each war.

Around 4AM my half-brother liege started another revolt... against my friend's kingdom of Skotland.  We decided to save and quit on the cliffhanger.  (It's no big deal since I'll have proper control of Jylland again, but still).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7016 on: January 25, 2015, 03:42:46 pm »

Did they change attrition or siege losses recently? I seem to be losing ridiculous amounts of troops in sieges with no displayed attrition and no events popping up. My army just shrinks drastically all of a sudden.

Had an army of 7000 sieging a castle of 1200, I go check another siege and come back like two weeks later and my army is 4000. 3000 men just went poof with no event showing or any battle occuring. Then throw in the disease and bandits events on top of the mysterious losses and I can't seem to keep an army going.

Playing as Germanic religion and raiding, this makes it very very difficult to successfully loot. I go off looting with 5000 men split into two raiding parties of 2500, get 100 gold from a few different provinces and now my army is down to 2000 men. Waited a few years and raised an even bigger army and tried raiding Venice. I took out their standing army with my 8000 men, leaving 6000. Split the army and leave 3000 to siege the province. They took the first city in a few months (no assault, just waiting) and lost so many troops in the process they could no longer siege the castle, and my 3000 men are down to 1700 just from walking around the coast near Venice grabbing some loot. Went from 8000 men to 2900 in less than a year of raiding.

Seems like the only way to successfully loot provinces is to get huge armies and assault the holdings before the random events and invisible attrition fires to eat your army, but even then I occasionally suddenly lose half my army to an invisible event despite attrition being 0%. Or just get a bunch of small armies and spread them out enough to loot and just accept that you'll lose the entire raiding party by the time you have the ships full of loot.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: January 25, 2015, 03:57:16 pm »

That sounds like a bug (or some supersecret new patch). My siegers take as much attrition as usual. If you were sieging defensive Pagan lands, then I'd understand - but Venice? Shouldn't happen. Maybe those sneaky Venetians are attacking your siege troops with stashed armies every time you look away?

Has anyone actually seen the Shia succeed recently? It seems to me they're crushed no matter where they pop up.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: January 25, 2015, 03:58:22 pm »

I have never seen the Shia succeed. At all. Ever.

It just doesn't happen.

I've seen Lithuania ruled by Draguns, but I have never seen the Shia do anything but die.

Indeed, I do this.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: January 25, 2015, 04:05:13 pm »

In my Cornwall Kingdom playthrough in the 769 start the Shias seem to be winning the war for Africa.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 1002