Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092098 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6450 on: December 07, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »

Well it lowers the morale of defenders by 100% so that...auto ends the seige...I was doing that last night and thats what the tooltip said. My dragon size was 108 so it might be size = morale damage or something like that
Makes sense, mine's a newly hatched little one.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: December 07, 2014, 05:51:51 pm »

Nah back in 2012 he said he would temporarily retire from acting when GoT was over to go to school. And that happens to be in 2014...not sure if you have any other sources though that explicitly state something like that

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:45 pm »

I also suggest a script made by some followers of AGOT, it allows a *shattered world* style of gameplay where there is no ingdom nothing exept province and then ensuing power grab etc. Basicly everyone starts kinda on the same level exept some province has some very good starting benifits ( dragonstone anyone? :) )
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: December 08, 2014, 10:45:05 am »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: December 08, 2014, 11:37:24 am »

The problem with the Abbasids is that they're very large, but their ruling dynasty is ridiculously secure because of all the positive opinion bonuses they get (Sayyid, lots of Piety from being Caliph, lots of prestige from inheriting a gigantic empire) and their expansion is quick because of incredibly strong CBs. The only limitation is their military strength and decadence, but decadence vanishes when you're winning holy wars left and right.

The Muslims really aren't balanced at all, and never have been because of their weird mechanics. One patch you have the Fatimids marching through Constantinople, the next all of Africa and the Holy Land is a patchwork of HRE/Castille/Venice colonies. By TOG and CM, I've only seen them ineffectually collapse in on themselves and be pushed back hard (the earlier patches of TOG) or else occupy Turkey, Greece, the lower Balkans and half of France before 1000 (the current state of CM, last time I checked).

They aren't even that fun, because all their neat features carry with them the incredible bore of decadence micromanagement and having to murder all the relatives that slide back into decadence after being convinced to reform, as well as all the relatives that your idiot cousins tried and failed to reform. It's only worse with you basically requiring a full 4 wife harem and not having any Chaste trait, meaning that within a few generations you're combing a family tree of several hundred members for a handful of decadent members ruining things, until it gets to the point that while your vassals are completely loyal and your army can crush all infidels underfoot, you're basically spending 90% of the game dealing with relatives.
There's an easy solution to that -- keep your dynasty small. Parcel out your Emirates (and later Sultanates) to trusted lieutenants rather than family members. Don't allow your sons to marry until you're ready for them to inherit. Keep a small harem, or even just 1 wife. Yes, you'll take a prestige hit from unlanded sons and yes it will take a bit more work to maintain your vassals without the bonuses from family ties, but it's quite doable.

Oh, and it leaves you vulnerable as hell when the Plague arrives. Might want to get freaky deaky sometime in the 1200s, just to boost your family's numbers pre-Plague.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

Can you still imprison male relatives for free as a Muslim?

I used to make sure all my vassals were family members so I could slowly imprison all of them without the others taking notice. After that you just imprison and execute their sons. Negative vassal opinion doesn't matter when they're all in jail.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »

Is the Plague a new thing?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: December 08, 2014, 01:46:16 pm »

no

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: December 08, 2014, 01:56:16 pm »

Man, y'all don't even know. Bad as the plague can be in CKII, it is still nothing compared to the CKI plague. When it says 33% of all Europeans die, it fucking means it. I wish they'd bring it back with that level of severity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: December 08, 2014, 02:19:42 pm »

Infant mortality was the absolute worst in CK1. I swear, you were forced to pop out 10 goofy looking tykes just to guarantee a couple would survive till adulthood..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »

Yeah it was pretty brutal. Having a three sons and a married in brother with three sons as well in CK 2 means you have heirs for days.

In CK1 it just means you're gonna lose the game in a few years :P

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:38 am »

That... actually sounds interesting.  And realistic.

Although unavoidable losses aren't terribly fun, so maybe the new(er) way is better.  Less prayers to the RNG.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: December 10, 2014, 12:59:16 am »

Paradox's obsession with balance and fairness in a historical simulator is a blight on all their games. They didn't use to broke that shit, but now it's all "oh no, we can't possibly let you simply hire assassins, that gives unfair advantages to large powers! Multiplayer comes first! Mana points are the best abstraction of the historical reality! And no Jews! Oh, alright, you can have Jews if you stop whining. But only a little bit.".

Ugh, just ugh. They keep just enough of the good to not become terrible, but only just enough.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: December 10, 2014, 01:13:29 am »

Eh.  There's balance and then there's fun.  Having the game tell you "nope, don't care how much you did right you're still losing because all your kids died" is lame, especially on your first character when you have no past characters who could have built a dynasty for you.

I agree with you on EU IV but CK 2, at least however many months ago when I played it regularly, never struck me as over-prioritizing balance.  If anything CK 2 has always been a game that managed to be fun despite a critical lack of balance.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: December 10, 2014, 01:23:08 am »

When you choose not to employ a dynastic character, you accept the risk of immediately breaking succession. If that's not your style then there are plenty of dynasties out there. You'd have to try excessively hard to break the larger ones.

No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 1002