Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092725 times)

AmauriPavao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #5970 on: August 20, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »

They are scrapping it because the AI cannot handle High Kingdoms properly, I believe.

Yes, we can't get the AI to seek High Kingdomhood properly.

Did they put in the buildings into the provinces? I remember when we played there weren't any so nobody could do anything due to no money / armies.

Except the guy who plays as a merchant republic.

Yes, we are overhauling buildings

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: August 20, 2014, 04:14:07 pm »

This game and 3 DLC's are currently in the humble bundle, they are also offering a pack of DLC's at 50% off on the humble store I'm always missing all the sales for CK2. I can easily grab sk2 and the 3 dlc's, but I'm wondering, is it worth the 25$ to grab 21 more DLC's too? What do they add? Is it more features or different flavors of the same content?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:49:29 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: August 20, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

This game and 3 DLC's are currently in the humble bundle, they are also offering a pack of DLC's at 50% off on the humble store I'm always missing all the sales for CK2. I can easily grab sk2 and the 3 dlc's, but I'm wondering, is it worth the 25$ to grab 21 more DLC's too? What do they add? Is it more features or different flavors of the same content?
There are currently 5 major dlcs, which add (Well, more like unlock. You still get most of the stuff or the AI can use it if you don't buy it) various content. There is Sunset Invasion, which is alt-history and you may either love it or hate it. The rest are music, unit and portrait packs and are cosmetic-only.

Also, looks like one of the EK devs is now a lunatic. Turns out its the one I share a country with too.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: August 20, 2014, 05:21:38 pm »

Ah, the three DLC's in the humble bundle are bollocks; they're just flavor. The main content DLC's are The Old Gods, Rajas of India, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and Sword of Islam. Those five unlock quite a few new mechanics, three religion groups, and a new start date. So yeah, if you want to be able to play anything outside of Christianity you need to pick up those DLC's.
All the other DLC's (including the three in the humble bundle) are mostly just songs or culture specific skins for troops, with a few minor content DLC's.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: August 20, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »

There are currently 5 major dlcs, which add (Well, more like unlock. You still get most of the stuff or the AI can use it if you don't buy it) various content. There is Sunset Invasion, which is alt-history and you may either love it or hate it. The rest are music, unit and portrait packs and are cosmetic-only.

Also, looks like one of the EK devs is now a lunatic. Turns out its the one I share a country with too.

Wait, so I still get the features without owning the DLC's? I'm just not allowed to play the content myself? One of them says it doubles the world size, so I get the double size world even if I don't get the DLC?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: August 20, 2014, 05:28:44 pm »

*Snip*

It depends. In the case of the world plus size, (from Rajas of India) yes you get it regardless, you just can't play any ruler of an Indian religion. While other things, like the earlier start date from The Old Gods, requires you to buy the dlc to get access to it in any way.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: August 20, 2014, 05:31:44 pm »

That's right!  If you don't have Rajas of India, India is still there (it appeared for everyone when they released the DLC) but you can't play as Indian.  Islam and Pagan religions have a lot more depth than they did when the game was first released, you just need the DLCs Sword of Islam and The Old Gods in order to play them.

I really like the model.  Each DLC release improves the simulator for free, and you can pay to experience the new mechanics firsthand instead of secondhand.  That said, I've only really used Legacy of Rome (for retinues, a *very* convenient mechanic regardless of who you play), The Old Gods for being a viking raider, and The Republic for... well, you have a transdimensional mansion, and technically there's this election for your domain, and - it's kinda the weakest DLC but I still enjoyed it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #5977 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »

Legacy of Rome (for retinues, a *very* convenient mechanic regardless of who you play)

I would find this game far harder to enjoy without retinues. There's just something about standing armies and a Paradox title.
Also, the politicking involved to make sure your large empire doesn't crumble to dust because you're against an entire religion and tons of your vassals in the newly conquered lands don't want to help you at all because they're feeling petty at the moment would just get too annoying.
For me, anyway.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »

Retinues are great, but kind of OPed and certainly not balanced within themselves.  That said I usually play as a young cruel spyjerk as my first 'built' character, and its super fun running down the morale.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: August 21, 2014, 01:23:24 am »

I played about 300 years of a tiny-ass Indian North Korean count slowly working my way across the landscape.

Playing as a Buddhist is honestly pretty boring though, especially if you don't share a border with the Muslims. There's less stuff and events compared to the other guys and you will basically spend years just waiting for claims. You only get one use of the subjugation CB per character and that costs FIVE HUNDRED karma to use. Unlike the other guys, there's no easy event to get karma other than the single feast you get once per year (even then you only get 30). The subjugation CB also only works on guys that are the same culture group as you.

For the rest, it's all just waiting for the fabricated claim.

The only thing I like about being a Buddhist is that I get to specifically choose my heir.

War elephants are also a little shite. Especially since you're forced to get them with archers as a retinue.

-----

I got North Korea mode to work simply by not giving a fuck. What I've seen so far is:

1. You get something like 20 troops per province as your tax income is almost nonexistent. You get something like .1 gold per province.
2. All your barons and your courtiers will obviously be -100 relations with you. Only your wife and young children will be unaffected.
3. No one seems to assassinate you or try to do anything to stop you even though everyone hates you. I was under the impression that if your spymaster despised you, you were probably dead. This apparently isn't the case as every single one of my rulers has lived a long and happy life.
4. No rebellions ever.

Since you get almost nothing from your land, you have to subsist on pillaging everyone, retinues, and mercenaries. This is not hard at all when you consider that many barons have over 1000g to donate to you when you banish them.

It's weird though. I was really expecting more assassinations. I haven't seen any effects on my courtiers at all. My council all do their jobs just fine too. The fun part is that I maxed out all the taxes and laws and still no troubles for three centuries. Course... it doesn't do anything as I still only get pennies per province. My provincial capitals also all don't improve either since there's absolutely no point. There's also no one to convert religions and stuff too.

Since everyone perma hates you, you can just freely be a completely evil bastard without any consequences. Every time I conquer a new place I just banish everyone. If I see someone that looks ugly, boom. Banished. That guy is bothering me about prisoners? Banished. Wife being annoying? Executed. Children being whiny? Kill them all and make new ones.

I should just rename myself North Korea honestly.

------------

Edit:

I forgot that my current ruler happens to be the reincarnated soul of himself. I don't know how that works. Some kind of recursive thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a screenshot of the current game:

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: August 21, 2014, 08:36:10 am »

I played about 300 years of a tiny-ass Indian North Korean count slowly working my way across the landscape.

Playing as a Buddhist is honestly pretty boring though, especially if you don't share a border with the Muslims. There's less stuff and events compared to the other guys and you will basically spend years just waiting for claims. You only get one use of the subjugation CB per character and that costs FIVE HUNDRED karma to use. Unlike the other guys, there's no easy event to get karma other than the single feast you get once per year (even then you only get 30). The subjugation CB also only works on guys that are the same culture group as you.

For the rest, it's all just waiting for the fabricated claim.

The only thing I like about being a Buddhist is that I get to specifically choose my heir.

War elephants are also a little shite. Especially since you're forced to get them with archers as a retinue.

-----

I got North Korea mode to work simply by not giving a fuck. What I've seen so far is:

1. You get something like 20 troops per province as your tax income is almost nonexistent. You get something like .1 gold per province.
2. All your barons and your courtiers will obviously be -100 relations with you. Only your wife and young children will be unaffected.
3. No one seems to assassinate you or try to do anything to stop you even though everyone hates you. I was under the impression that if your spymaster despised you, you were probably dead. This apparently isn't the case as every single one of my rulers has lived a long and happy life.
4. No rebellions ever.

Since you get almost nothing from your land, you have to subsist on pillaging everyone, retinues, and mercenaries. This is not hard at all when you consider that many barons have over 1000g to donate to you when you banish them.

It's weird though. I was really expecting more assassinations. I haven't seen any effects on my courtiers at all. My council all do their jobs just fine too. The fun part is that I maxed out all the taxes and laws and still no troubles for three centuries. Course... it doesn't do anything as I still only get pennies per province. My provincial capitals also all don't improve either since there's absolutely no point. There's also no one to convert religions and stuff too.

Since everyone perma hates you, you can just freely be a completely evil bastard without any consequences. Every time I conquer a new place I just banish everyone. If I see someone that looks ugly, boom. Banished. That guy is bothering me about prisoners? Banished. Wife being annoying? Executed. Children being whiny? Kill them all and make new ones.

I should just rename myself North Korea honestly.

------------

Edit:

I forgot that my current ruler happens to be the reincarnated soul of himself. I don't know how that works. Some kind of recursive thing:

Here's a screenshot of the current game:

I like your capital and province.

"Reigning in ONE, ONE"

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: August 21, 2014, 09:38:06 am »

That's weird. Maybe Buddhists simply don't believe in assassination? Maybe you get bad events for having low/negative karma and that's supposed to balance out being a bastard?

Haven't played Indian rulers yet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:42 am »

Yeahhh... I couldn't wrap my head around the Indian names...

After a lot of frustration I named my primary holdings ONE, TWO, THREE, etc.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: August 21, 2014, 12:05:09 pm »

Honestly I can't remember a time when I was assassinated or plot killed as an adult.

One possibility is that there simply aren't enough people in your court to kill you.  This is something I've noticed versus the AI, people with 30+ courtiers and dukes and counts and such that can be invited to plot are very easy to kill, while those with like 5 are almost impossible to plot against.  Ironically enough not having a spymaster seems to make AI characters safer as the spymaster has massive plot power and is typically amoral, although I wouldn't try that out yourself seeing what you're doing is already working for you.

Also the number of characters who can assassinate you at a given time if you're King or Emperor is very low due to the price, and the AI isn't going to believe that a baron would benefit from killing such a high level character.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: August 21, 2014, 12:28:25 pm »

According to that screenshot, I have 91 courtiers, only 3 of which don't hate me.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1002