Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092746 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4425 on: December 02, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »

Depends. For example, if the lands and holdings of a family member I rely on is being threatened, I usually send out a detachment. It would seriously inconvenience me if my Basileus uncle in Byzantine lost even more land to the infidel, so his fights are of particular importance to me.

Another example would be if a family member of mine was making a move on the crown of a rival kingdom. Then I'd send in craptonnes of men to seize the throne in the Karling name.

There are quite a number of benefits for fighting. Gold from hostages. Military research points (quite substantial, you can get upwards of 50+ points in a 50,000 man battle). Prestige for every battle fought. Piety if fighting infidels. Concubines if you're Norse or Islam. If your character is leading an army, he might get military and prestige boosts too which are always nice.

Lastly, if I'm planning to conquer the lands of that particular ally myself and they're having a civil war, it's always a good idea to come in to weaken the defenses of the cities I want to take beforehand.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: December 02, 2013, 05:35:27 pm »

Kingdom B declares war on you. You win (but lose some troops). Because it was a defensive war, you get prestige but not much else.
You do get money. And money gets you everything else.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: December 02, 2013, 05:59:57 pm »

I usually help adventurer of my religion grab kingdoms, and help my allies if they're fighting a war nearby or have an interest in it. I never do the "join but not send troops" thing, as I consider it a cheap abuse of the AI.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: December 03, 2013, 02:57:55 am »

I've never had any adventurers. Are they part of one of the DLCs content?
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: December 03, 2013, 03:07:34 am »

Kingdom B declares war on you. You win (but lose some troops). Because it was a defensive war, you get prestige but not much else.
You do get money. And money gets you everything else.

Also a nice feat of rebellions. In my playthrough, I had a rebel Duke or two, which I crushed with the full force of my Imperial Stormtroopers Levies, and having imprisoned the guy I could ransom him for 145 gold, that being much more than my wartime expenditures.

As I learned, Poland is actually in a quite cool position, since they get a lot of assorted pagan tribes in the east, and if the Pope likes you, at least in SoA, every now and then he sends you 200 gold, regardless of the size of the enemy you're facing, and without a hit to Piety, and if you win you get a bunch of fiefs to give away. They tend to be fairly bad in terms of defense, so even if the noble rebels, it should be easy to crush them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:18 am »

Anything with pagans you can expand in is cool, although still not as OP as Norse and their subjugation CB. When your standard succession include grabbing whatever is the largest Pagan Kingdom at the moment an adding it into your Empire, you're OP.

Scriver: I'm pretty sure adventurer are from The Old Gods.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: December 03, 2013, 07:39:36 am »

Curse my DLClessness!
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: December 03, 2013, 08:50:56 am »

Anything with pagans you can expand in is cool, although still not as OP as Norse and their subjugation CB. When your standard succession include grabbing whatever is the largest Pagan Kingdom at the moment an adding it into your Empire, you're OP.

So basically Vikings=The Borg.

I think I'm going to have nightmares about that now  :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: December 03, 2013, 11:53:56 am »

Curse my DLClessness!
honestly adventurers are not something you'd curse for not having. You can't be one, and they randomly show up on your doorstep with 30.000 troops. It's less like a fun feature and more like ten rebellions happening at once and that want your titles.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: December 03, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »

They've cut down on the rate of adventurers, anyway. I personally find them awesome. Norse Kingdom of Jerusalem and Norse Sicily->Italy->Holland->Parts of England are my personal favorites. When family members adventure, why, it's even better - especially when you can join their wars.

It is wasted potential, though - when I first heard about the feature, I thought there'd be things like 'your fourth son has saved a distant kingdom and fallen passionately in love with their princess! Do you allow the marriage/will they allow it?'. Also getting things like prestige, piety, cash, claims, converting to different religions, etc. via similar events. Actual adventurers, not just 'invade random country somewhere'.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: December 03, 2013, 12:55:16 pm »

And money.
Vanquished adventurers pay a lot of money in a peace agreement.
And it can get even better : once upon a time, in the Armenian Myaphisite Elective Empire of Tartaria, one of my matrilinearily married son in law adventured to conquer one of my kingdoms (yeah, the bastard was planning it from my whole court ! which led to the adventurer's troops spawning right in my capital :/) . The 30k troops weren't too big a deal (I had about 15k guys from the special byzantine retinue (300 HC 200 HA) and damn those guys hit hard) and as I'm a quite soft and family person, I just let him go for ransom.

Then, a couple years later, he tried again. Same thing.

Then again, with an admirable perseverance. And a couple more times after that. And each time, he received the "aventurer's subsidies" , something around a thousand gold pieces if i remember correctly, which after a while led to him sitting on a very comfortable 6k-ish gps.

I kept a close eye on his children and directed the inheritance to one of my big dukes, for tasty infrastructures investments.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: December 03, 2013, 01:34:44 pm »

Wow, mercy actually paid off in the end?  Epic! (that was a pun, sorry)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: December 05, 2013, 11:36:11 am »

So I decided to play a fairly minor character to just figure out the game. I selected Petar I Svacic, count of Rama in kingdom of Croatia. I betroth my firstborn to my king's eldest daughter. The king makes me duke of Bosnia after I help him out in a civil war. The king dies, and soon after him his only son, so now my firstborn is a prince consort. He has a son, and now I'm gonna be king of Croatia in comfortable two generations. Well, things don't go as planned, and at age of 18 my grandson the king dies while taking Malta from the Muslims. And here I am a king way before I planned. I'm almost 60, and my firstborn has no more sons, only a daughter, and it doesn't look like any sons are on the way. So I'm concerned what will happen when my granddaughter inherits the kingdom. Can I keep a bloodline going through women, or do I need to do something before I croak? And what should I be doing as a king anyway? It seems I suddenly got a lot of new options.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:40:36 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: December 05, 2013, 11:49:27 am »

Marry matrilineally to continue the dinasty through women.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »

Make sure gender law is agnatic-cognatic for women to be able to inherit. This is only a fraction of what you aught to be worried about, but you should consider the following:

Have any troublesome or large vassals that need handling? There's lots of ways to go about this.

Are all the crown laws to your liking? You can change crown authority or investiture once per lifetime and others every few years. Law changes must be ratified by a majority of your vassals.

Are you at your demesne limit? Why or why not? The larger your personal lands, the better (except when it's not). Choose a capital with good tech and or income.

Is there a significant nearby threat? It's generally wise to have some money for emergency mercenaries. Since you're a Christian(?), you should be able to borrow from the Jews if a crisis arises.

What avenues of expansion do you have? Go to the diplomacy map mode. You currently have a valid reason to attack the yellow countries.

To secure a safer succession you may want to consider killing your heir's wife and marring him to somebody more fertile. Make sure to marry your granddaughter/possible heir matrilinially (look for a check-box).
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1002