Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093914 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #4080 on: October 08, 2013, 06:42:09 pm »

You could also become the pope.

Of course, every "Pay money to get piety" event the Christians enact through the intrigue screen, gives the pope a pop-up event. :P 20 or so events a day.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: October 08, 2013, 08:14:17 pm »

Yes you could play as Pagans and even Muslims prior to their respective DLCs however they lacked features and were nothing more than a completely cut down version of christians. It was as simple as either becoming a non-christian through the console, getting your heir groomed or finally just changing a single line of code which was basically like non_christain_playable yes/no.

You couldn't play as republic before it's DLC but you could play holy and merc orders with some exploits leaving you with the strange agantic open succession law with no game-over on succession even though the dynasty will shift. I believe you can still play as a merc order fairly easily but I think they might have fixed the holy order bug.
In my game, a merc order holds independent counties in spain, and I belive is getting the crap kicked out of them by Castille.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: October 09, 2013, 01:56:42 am »

I AM KING OF IRELAND! :D

After nearly 50 years, Mugron II "the fat" managed to get enough money to pay for the freaking crown of Ireland.
First game, second character. I only need four more counties to have the whole ireland, my son will inherit a county in brittain, and I have sisters and daughters (and even a brother) married all over europe to important people, including the king of great moravia and the rightful heir of castille (she was beaten in a bloody succession war, but I have a sister married to the winner, so no big deal. Except the guy died...)

Next thing is to grow enough balls to take on Jorvik or Sudreyjar. Those guys are pretty much the only ones who can stand up against me at this point, england is in a sorry state...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: October 09, 2013, 02:29:01 am »

A hint: If you don't care who gets a county as long as they're bent at the knee to you (Or even if you don't care ;P), it pays to check claimants to a county. Click on the county flag to open it's ledger, and the second-to-the-right button is claimants. Click it and you can see who has a claim and if they might be willing to come to your court.

Though whether they want to come to your court is another matter, it's a little wonky sometimes. A county that I'm totally able to attack and willing to will have claimants with "No reason to come", while a county on the far side of the ocean will have "Can press claims" even if they have a weak claim that I can't actually press at the moment. It can be a bit of a roulette wheel in that regard. (Though you do want to make sure if the person you're inviting has a weak or a strong claim, so you know if you can go to war immediately or not. And unless they're a de-jure vassal or family member, you need to give them some land first before you go to war, or else they'll be independent once you win.)
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:34 am »

A hint: If you don't care who gets a county as long as they're bent at the knee to you (Or even if you don't care ;P), it pays to check claimants to a county. Click on the county flag to open it's ledger, and the second-to-the-right button is claimants. Click it and you can see who has a claim and if they might be willing to come to your court.

Though whether they want to come to your court is another matter, it's a little wonky sometimes. A county that I'm totally able to attack and willing to will have claimants with "No reason to come", while a county on the far side of the ocean will have "Can press claims" even if they have a weak claim that I can't actually press at the moment. It can be a bit of a roulette wheel in that regard. (Though you do want to make sure if the person you're inviting has a weak or a strong claim, so you know if you can go to war immediately or not. And unless they're a de-jure vassal or family member, you need to give them some land first before you go to war, or else they'll be independent once you win.)

I haven't done any Ck2 in a month or two, but if I remember correctly you can marry the claimants into your dynasty and your new dynasty member will have a claim if the claimant who joined your court had a strong claim. I could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:00:28 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:21 am »

I only use that for big claims, like king-level. For counties, it's just as fast if not faster to forge your own claim, if there aren't any "ready-to-go" claims that you can just revoke when you think you're close to dying.

And even then, I tend to play as "Last-Bastion-Before-The-End" characters, like the Zoroastrians or a Miaphysite Egyptian or a Gaelic Pagan Scot. Hard to marry into the muslims or christians in that case ;P

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: October 09, 2013, 03:01:30 am »

I only use that for big claims, like king-level. For counties, it's just as fast if not faster to forge your own claim, if there aren't any "ready-to-go" claims that you can just revoke when you think you're close to dying.

And even then, I tend to play as "Last-Bastion-Before-The-End" characters, like the Zoroastrians or a Miaphysite Egyptian or a Gaelic Pagan Scot. Hard to marry into the muslims or christians in that case ;P

Yeah, that's true, but some of the time you can get them to convert if they like you enough. Greedy characters are good for that as you can bribe them. For example, I was trying to get the special Muslim traits on a future Catholic King of Jerusalem for funsies, and I converted a Sayyid lady to Catholicism. Sadly this makes them lose that trait, though maybe it's because I don't have the DLC.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:13:44 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: October 09, 2013, 06:31:32 am »

I think I can take on two of the four counties I still don't have. De Jure claim, 4000(?) men strong army in the face of single counties (with 1500 men permanent armies, yikes), bam, done.

The other twos are way trickier. Sudreyjar might be do-able, but Jorvik is just waaaay too big (and that 26 intrigue queen...).
I'm working on getting some more troops, and maybe an ally in the form of the king of scotland, married to a daughter of mine. If Jorvik fall, I basically won the whole british isles. Nothing else can really oppose me at this point (except god-dammed Norway...).

So goal is to become Emperor of Brittania. After that I'll probably go in brittany (I should have inherited a county at this point. And became vassal of the petty king who is liege of the current owner, my wife. Because that's how it works, right?), then in spain (I have dynasty members there. My brother married a princess).  :D
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: October 09, 2013, 03:53:56 pm »

It's hard to decipher that last paragraph, but you can't become the vassal of another king if you are a king.

And if you marry a ***ess, your son will inherit both if both the succesion laws are the same. You die, wife dies, son inherits, he has both of them. If he inherits a title at the same or higher level of his liege, he goes independent without a fuss. If he inherits a lower title than that of his liege, then if he's already inherited the vassal title, you will become the vassal. If he inherits the independent title, then he goes independent and pulls the vassal title out of the lieges grasp.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: October 09, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »

So I just got this game this week with the Old Gods and Ruler Designer DLCs and oh god the fun I have with that. My latest game I did a quicky mod that makes all inheritable traits (Ugly, Strong, etc.) ALWAYS stick. And then I designed a Attractive, Strong, Genius of a Norse German who took over Ireland :P

Also I'm experimenting with the idea of a ruler with every bad trait and 34 sons (the max) on start.
I'm planning to start a game, and possibly an AAR where I start like that in England and RP a Southern US stereotype.

Crusader Kings: DUCK DYNASTY :P
But before I do that I'll need to get the Sunset DLC so that IN SURPRISE TURN OF EVENTS, MEXICO INVADES SPAIN. TEXAS CALLED IN TO TAKE THEM OUT.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: October 09, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »

Hardmode is playing a Zoroastrian on the 1066 start or later.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: October 09, 2013, 05:04:10 pm »

It's not because hard-mode, it's more role-playey than that.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: October 09, 2013, 05:05:47 pm »

And start said Zoroastrian in the middle of the HRE or France. As a Count.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:47 pm »

I don't believe there is any landed zoroastrians in 1066 or at any later date. You can of course ruler designer but then you might as well make a generic pagan (has no features) and plop them down next to the Seljuks.

I'm thinking about starting up a new game of CKII since EU4 is getting a bit tiring. I'm thinking it might be interesting to try a single county challenge like the city state challenge in Civ 4. I might pick somewhere in the low countries since they have high holding slots and some of the highest base tax. Declaring independence from the HRE might be an interesting goal as well. I can't remember what the dutch retinue is but I don't think it's anything extremely impressive. It would have to be costal so my cities pump out a lot more gold.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to load up on cities or castles. Castles will give me a bigger force limit which also means a bigger retinue, they can also be directly controlled by a feudal lord and won't need an extra vassal. Funding the retinue and mercs might be a lot harder but usually two cities heavily upgraded can give you enough returns to fund a respectable army.
Cities are very good for a capital duchy since they give you so much gold you can than use to fund retinues and mercs plus high tech rate and transports. Unfortunately since it will just be a single county I don't believe the tech rate will matter and mercs and retinues can be limited in number and it also means I need uppity mayors below me sucking into profits.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: October 09, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »

And start said Zoroastrian in the middle of the HRE or France. As a Count.

Where's a Peasant start when you need one?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1002