Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091880 times)

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #525 on: February 29, 2012, 11:51:59 am »

Yeah, we already know anti-piracy methods don't prevent piracy. Complaining about a method that is completely non-intrusive is a tad nonsensical.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 29, 2012, 06:26:49 pm »

I totally thought my empire was about to go belly up when my young emperor died (most likely of assasination) just a few years into office.  His sister becomes empress and her heir is their other sister meaning -20 total gender penalty to relations with every vassal.  Additionally all the bribes I've doled out no longer count and the empire's finances we're already stretched thin.  No more titles to hand out, honorary or otherwise and I'd already given away every fosterling I could for the boost.  I'm pretty sure that my spymaster, my cousin and strongest vassal, was the assassin but I can't fire him for fear of him immediately taking half the empire up in revolt (I made a great appointment there...).  So basically, dead queen walking.

Or not.  My traitorous spymaster cousin must have shared his plot with someone with loose lips because I get evidence of his plot to usurp him despite a intrigue skill disparity of 27-10 and him being my spymaster.  I immediately swap out my political appointee marshal for someone competent, the captain of the Varangian guard, and bring the Iron Swedish fist of Rome down on his scheming ass.  The old marshal will probably revolt but I don't care, with my biggest vassal rotting in prison I can afford to handle down a rogue duke or two.  Meanwhile a couple of my other political appointees die off and I can get some loyal competent people on the council.  I've got a little more time and a lot more breathing room.  Six months later I fill the "exalted among men" ambition and bump nearly all my disloyal vassals into the loyal category.  For the first time in five years no one is in open revolt against the empire.

So I think it's totally awesome how this empress is turning out.  She was never expected to be empress in the first place and the smart money was that she would get taken down.  I picture her as being the Harry Truman of 12th century female monarchs.  Her only traits are honest and wroth, matching his reputation for bluntness and fighter attitude.  She became ruler unexpectedly and had no powerbase.  She isn't seen as a great statesman (average stats).  People were actively planning for after she was out of office.  Her opponent is seen as a great man of history.  But much to her detractors surprise she ends up winning.  I bet she has a tapestry hanging in her throne room saying "Eirenaios deposes Anna."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:00 am »

When do you guys think the price will be lowered?  I'd love to get this game, but the price tag is intimidating...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 01, 2012, 06:52:15 am »

When do you guys think the price will be lowered?  I'd love to get this game, but the price tag is intimidating...

My guess is that it depends on sales, and while it's a good game, it's not for a wide audience. Might be a year.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:15 am »

Most likely you will see a price reduction when the first expansion/DLC (we all know it's coming) comes out. If you're looking for lowest price then Steam might be you're awnser, they generally have really good sales for "niche" games.
Personally I'm waiting for an expansion or two, but from I've played on a friend's PC it's fairly solid as it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 01, 2012, 07:20:04 am »

...It has the same price on steam as it does on the main site. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 01, 2012, 07:32:10 am »

they generally have really good sales for "niche" games.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2012, 07:36:06 am »

Never mind then. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:11 am »

Sorry if I sounded like a douche but I did try to state it in my post, just gotta read beyond my ramble.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 01, 2012, 07:40:30 am »

Well, I've never bought anything on sale from Steam, so sorry if I missed that.  I thought you meant something else by "sale". 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 01, 2012, 07:46:38 am »

Well, Steam generally have sales every now again, usually on holidays, And like I stated you'll find that the niche games (unlike your Skyrims and CoDs) have really good speicals[sales]. I bought the full Paradox complete pack for 80ish AUD, for example.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 01, 2012, 08:35:09 am »

I really don't recommend getting paradox games from steam.  There are usually compatibility issues and modding can be a pain.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:14 am »

I never had any issues with modding or compatibility. The worse I had was having the launch EU3 from a diffrerent exe since it didn't start the luancher, rather the main game module. Steam however refuses to accept "beta patches" which can be a blessing and a curse. It's always possible to manually update however.

EDIT: This is getting way off topic.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:43:59 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:26 am »

I have lost so many hours of my life to this game over the past weeks.  Just deleted it in a rare moment of clarity.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #539 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:41 am »

I actually decided to get CK2 on Steam.  Originally, they planned for there to ONLY be a Steam option (beta patches included), but enough people complained on their forums so they also released a Gamersgate version.  It doesn't have any DRM, Steam's included.  You can install/update from Steam, the just create a link to the executable on your desktop, or you could even copy the whole game directory somewhere else so you have a copy that guaranteed doesn't update when you aren't ready.  I've left it in the Steam directory and no checksum issues, nor modding issues, so far for what it is worth.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 1002