Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092264 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »

Yeah, at 1.36+ a month I'm not scraping together the cash on my own any time soon.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2012, 04:40:48 pm »

Alriiiiight, finally have enough land to declare myself king of Ireland. Now I just need to scrape together 300+ cash. Any suggestions? Right now I'm looking to push harsher taxes, and I know going to war nets you cash from successful sieges. There's also exile, but I can't count on that.

What's your income? I'm guessing Ireland isn't too rich. It's hard to imagine someone having trouble getting 300 cash when you're playing a Byzzie duke with +13.00 monthly income.

I suggest increasing city taxes, it's usually my first move with any character.
As a king of three kingdoms I only get 13 a month.. Damn byzantines.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »

Do you upgrade money-making province improvements? Byzantines provinces aren't much different, the only real difference is population and how many baronies it can hold. Otherwise it's just improvements.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2012, 06:02:39 pm »

Alriiiiight, finally have enough land to declare myself king of Ireland. Now I just need to scrape together 300+ cash. Any suggestions? Right now I'm looking to push harsher taxes, and I know going to war nets you cash from successful sieges. There's also exile, but I can't count on that.
When I first declared myself king of Ireland, I made money by doing nothing. I was focusing on invading Scotland and England I didn't pay attention to anything. I realized I forgot upgrading my provinces when I had like, 6k cash.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »

It'll probably cost you more to wage war.  Depending on size of army you need to maintain/upkeep and the rate at which you break down morale.

This here may be a bit exploity.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:39:53 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2012, 01:27:40 am »

Zangi, I don't think that's right.

If you have a tax rate of 25% or higher, it's better to have barons. Owning a city nets you a 75% penalty to that cities' taxes. Barons will also upgrade their holdings with the other 75% of the taxes, saving you money.

Also you should upgrade your castles first, because while it only gives you 1 more ducat, you get that full ducat, whereas upgrading a city would give the city 2 ducats, you only get 0.5 ducats for yourself.

I find the best money comes from a Duke-tier City vassal. Make sure all of his baronies are his, and not his vassals, to get the maximum amount of tax from him. Depending upon his demense, he should be making 150+ ducats a year, of which you'll get around 50 of.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:29:14 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2012, 03:39:58 am »

So is there any real way of switching a county's main holding type? Right now, since I'm a feudal lord, it just functions as a "this country would shit all up in your personal demense if you tried to add it".

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2012, 03:45:41 am »

If you build a castle in the holding, it should switch. Provided you own the existing capital.

If that doesn't actually work (never tried, sorry) or if you can't afford the castle, then either give it away, or consider turning off the wrong holding warning. You can disable it "for now" and it'll go away until you get another wrong holding. 75% tax reduction sucks, but it's otherwise not really a disaster.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:23 am »

It'll probably cost you more to wage war.  Depending on size of army you need to maintain/upkeep and the rate at which you break down morale.

If you fight smart and have enough income you won't lose money at all.

I think money doesn't have a high importance in this game.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2012, 09:10:18 am »

Count, then Duke, Then King.

:D

Took about 17 years of brutal civil war, but I managed to take the throne.

At some point the pope came to me and was like "Yo dawg I think you should be King so we gave you a claim on the throne, go get'm bro"

Started a plot to take the throne, got a couple vassals with me and promptly started the long and tiresome war.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:13:16 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2012, 09:15:11 am »

If you have a tax rate of 25% or higher, it's better to have barons. Owning a city nets you a 75% penalty to that cities' taxes. Barons will also upgrade their holdings with the other 75% of the taxes, saving you money.

Also you should upgrade your castles first, because while it only gives you 1 more ducat, you get that full ducat, whereas upgrading a city would give the city 2 ducats, you only get 0.5 ducats for yourself.

I find the best money comes from a Duke-tier City vassal. Make sure all of his baronies are his, and not his vassals, to get the maximum amount of tax from him. Depending upon his demense, he should be making 150+ ducats a year, of which you'll get around 50 of.
Meh, could be some side effect of the Bella Gerant Alii mod or some inherent problem, cause I'm sure I got 75% of the gold, despite tooltip telling me otherwise.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2012, 09:55:33 am »

Money buys mercs to win wars.  Enough money buys buildings and constructs new holdings to give you massive levies.  Also a few well placed bribes can be a lifesaver.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2012, 10:03:18 am »

Meh, could be some side effect of the Bella Gerant Alii mod or some inherent problem, cause I'm sure I got 75% of the gold, despite tooltip telling me otherwise.

It was a 25% penalty back in the demo, but that made owning cities a good choice and Paradox pretty much only wants you to own castles for some reason, so they upped it to 75%. Lowering it with a mod is probably a good idea, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did so.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:31 am »

Money buys mercs to win wars.  Enough money buys buildings and constructs new holdings to give you massive levies.  Also a few well placed bribes can be a lifesaver.

Yes, but it isn't really difficult to get money once you have like 4-5 provinces. I never felt the need to raise money. It just kept coming itself. Even if I raise all my levies my income doesn't become negative, unless I start hiring mercs.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2012, 10:24:05 am »

I was a 2 county ruler(modded from paganism to catholic) and collected a shitton of money. Then I spent all of it on mercenaries, conquered the whole Livonia, got handouts from the pope for fighting pagans, which fueled my crusade even more. By the end "Duke Allikas the Holy" had in the span of 15 years turned from 2 counties to almost becoming the king of Lithuania and Finland(I needed 2 counties in Lithuania, which I could have gotten with a fabrication, and was actively and systematically conquering land to the north). Never underestimate money and mercenaries.

In other news, that was the demo and because I couldnt save and because apparently the game crashed when I was sleeping, that game is down the drain. This crusade has seriously made me want to get this game. I am really goddamn cheap, so I only buy stuff when its 5-10 euros, but I am considering getting this at full price. I wish I could have continued that game for another 30 years and have all the new holdings settle down so I could become the undisputed ruler of the north or whatever you would call that particular piece of territory.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:37:38 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 1002