Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: A Plea for Civility  (Read 14372 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: A Plea for Civility
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 01:03:24 am »

It's a double rainbow! But what does it MEAN?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 02:40:41 am »

It means that it rained recently, now put down the bong, Shaggy! :D
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 03:45:20 am »

We can't maaaan, it's too intense.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:26 pm »

Well, I don't think the difficulty of getting into the game is the same difficulty (or lack thereof) that older players complains about.

The difficulty for a new player is to understand the game interface, how to tell dwarves to do X or Y, how to master the basic features (farming, stockpiles etc.)

The difficulty that older player want is - most of the time - at the end of the game : harder siege, stronger HFS, less productive farming, and so on. Few of these things become relevant before the fort has reached a good size (80ish dwarves), so they don't concern new players : by the time they have a fort this big, most of them have a pretty frim grasp on how to play.

What this man said.  The problem is that the game gets easier and easier, instead of the other way around

I'll show some of my experience - someone relatively new to the game (although he likes to frequently refer to how old school a gamer he is) read a post talking about aquifers, misunderstood what was being said, and so immediately jumped onto the Suggestion Forum to argue against something he completely misunderstood about the game.  After being corrected, he then blamed Toady for him not understanding the game even though the misunderstanding had nothing to do with the game itself, but what he read in a forum post.  See here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61318.msg1394289#msg1394289

Funny, I see something completely different when I read that thread. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:17:58 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61318.msg1394289#msg1394289
Funny, I see something completely different when I read that thread.
Yeah, I get funnies too. I cannot see where someone blame Toady for their own problem. Kohaku, can you kindly link to one particular post that shows it?

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »

Not directed at anyone in particular, but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry - someone had to do it!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:41 pm »

Y'know what my introduction was? The first-fortress guide on the wiki. And I didn't even read it the whole way through.
As soon as I figured out how digging worked, my first fort failed pretty damn hard. Then I started my second fortress, and it was one of my most successful forts ever. This was 40d, too, and I'd say 2010 is more understandable and easy to use.
What's my point?
The learning cliff keeps the plebs out.
For serious, I'm not a great gamer and nor am I that good at Dwarf Fortress. If you need the game to be more accessible, that means you are a worse/stupider gamer than me. That is not a good thing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

Yeah, I get funnies too. I cannot see where someone blame Toady for their own problem. Kohaku, can you kindly link to one particular post that shows it?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61013.msg1394269#msg1394269
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 02:42:40 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61013.msg1394269#msg1394269

So that's what you took offense at so much?  Wow. 
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 03:00:25 pm »

So that's what you took offense at so much?  Wow.

Absolutely, he went out of his way to insult both Toady and the playerbase for his own misunderstanding.  Even after functionally admitting that he realized he was wrong, he still put the blame upon others for his own mistake. 

The "I saw something in the forums, and demanded it be changed before I actually looked at the game" part was annoying, but the fact that he turned it into a cause against the forumgoers who told him of his mistake rather than admit he was mistaken, when he knew he was, is what was really unforgivable.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 03:05:38 pm »

Absolutely, he went out of his way to insult both Toady and the playerbase for his own misunderstanding.  Even after functionally admitting that he realized he was wrong, he still put the blame upon others for his own mistake. 

The "I saw something in the forums, and demanded it be changed before I actually looked at the game" part was annoying, but the fact that he turned it into a cause against the forumgoers who told him of his mistake rather than admit he was mistaken, when he knew he was, is what was really unforgivable.
This is a very good example of why we can't have nice things, and why this topic exists in the first place.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16:16 pm »

I think in the end the only thing that can be done about this:

If you think someone is rude, instead of making a very special announcement about it, just say it t that persons face. Reply to them or PM them.
Because the worst that can happen is that you'll be told to fuck off. In which case the rest of the forumgoers will stand behind you.

Also, am I the only one thinking that the difficulty discussion is getting a wee bit off-topic?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

We can't maaaan, it's too intense.

So Vivid

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »

If you think someone is rude, instead of making a very special announcement about it, just say it t that persons face. Reply to them or PM them.
Because the worst that can happen is that you'll be told to fuck off. In which case the rest of the forumgoers will stand behind you.

I've done this a few times, although I really should do it more, since I've let some topics get turned pretty far off course, including a couple of my own.

Also, am I the only one thinking that the difficulty discussion is getting a wee bit off-topic?

Which one?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »

I think in the end the only thing that can be done about this:

You're aware that e.g. the Suggestions forum specifically says NOT to take such things on yourself? As well as the Forum Guidelines?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7