Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Puberty begining earlier since 1840's.  (Read 4530 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Puberty begining earlier since 1840's.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 07:16:03 pm »

As the late great Strongbad once said "Babies, havin' babies"
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »

I don't think it's particularily worrysome. As it has been commented already, body fat plays a pivotal role in puberty, and it's known that a lack of body fat results in a later onset (there's even a formula that, in children that do intensive sports, factors in how long they've been practising them to estimate how much of a puberty delay they'll get). So as nutrition improves, it makes sense that more people will, in that regard, hit puberty earlier, as, in practice, what's actually going on is that it's not being delayed.
(For the record, at the moment the lower normality range is 9 for males and 8 for females, so if it's above those -and under the higher normality range- no worries)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 08:21:31 pm »

Excellent. Our public bioengineering program is proceeding as planned.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »

I recall someone arguing, the last time this came up, that increased body fat can also give the illusion of puberty in females. That's not to say that increased body fat can't also lower the age (which it presumably can, since it goes along with increased nutrition as far as biology goes), but that it can screw with the diagnoses.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »

I recall someone arguing, the last time this came up, that increased body fat can also give the illusion of puberty in females. That's not to say that increased body fat can't also lower the age (which it presumably can, since it goes along with increased nutrition as far as biology goes), but that it can screw with the diagnoses.

No, no.  Female puberty onset is defined by menarche--i.e., one's first period.

Increased fat cannot induce fake bleeding-everywhere.  It doesn't work like that.  The thing, though, is that puberty requires estrogen--and adipose cells (fat cells) produce estrogen.  This is why women who have become unhealthily thin stop getting their periods.  My personal guess is that a lot of it is tied in to childhood obesity.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »

and eat snakes and babies and shit.
All at once?

Yes. Clearly us primitive Asians and our monstrous outdated ethics have no sense of taste, or I would otherwise separate the three.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:55 pm »

No, no.  Female puberty onset is defined by menarche--i.e., one's first period.

Increased fat cannot induce fake bleeding-everywhere.  It doesn't work like that.  The thing, though, is that puberty requires estrogen--and adipose cells (fat cells) produce estrogen.  This is why women who have become unhealthily thin stop getting their periods.  My personal guess is that a lot of it is tied in to childhood obesity.
I don't believe that's how it was being judged in the studies, however. Hence the statements of errors in their methodology. If it was, then whoever I'm citing was talking out their ass.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 10:11:12 pm »

Breast formation also looks markedly different from "fat baby."  It's only after development has actually happened that you'd be able to see the difference.  During, though... well, that tends to be pretty obvious, most of the time.

[/things you didn't want to know today]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »

"Better" being always a relative term.  If this trend continues, by 2030 the American race will be a people born as spherical adolescent blobs.  We must take action.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 10:46:07 pm »

If this trend continues, by 2030 the American race will be a people born as spherical adolescent blobs. We must take action.

Hey, that'll leave the job market totally open to us present day human-shaped humans. I'm cool with this.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 12:43:22 am »

No, because without children, there is no future! Without no future, there will be no jobs! Therefore, we must have normal babies to provide time to go jobhunting!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 12:45:17 am »

Well if you die you're not living anymore.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 04:17:07 am »

I wonder if it's possible that somehow some kind of social or psychological factor could cause this.

Well, to be exact, of course it's POSSIBLE, I wonder if it's happening.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

I wonder if it's possible that somehow some kind of social or psychological factor could cause this.

Well, to be exact, of course it's POSSIBLE, I wonder if it's happening.

Kind of doubting it.  There's high selection pressure against early female puberty, social-factors-wise.  The parents don't want it, the kids don't want it, the classmates don't want it.  Kids who end up chesty too early are often traumatized (I know a couple of these people, and they're pretty miserable about it even eleven years later).

Of course, an anecdote does not a scientific study make, but it seems pretty improbable.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:20 pm »

Maybe this is just peoples bodies saying: Im healthy and get plenty of food, time to make babies!

Basically just good living conditions. Humans are more about quality than quantity and i wouldnt be suprised if puberty hits off while theres plenty of food and little chance that the baby gets eaten.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4