Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your Most Morbid Fort?  (Read 6085 times)

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Most Morbid Fort?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 06:32:28 pm »

The accursed fort of Atticgriffon, which was my third ever attempt at playing the game, and was swarmed by goblin ambushes led by elven priests and confused giants.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »

Effing Christ.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »

Damn. 14 and 1/2 pages over how many years?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 07:30:36 pm »

Gosh, I must be playing Dwarf Fortress wrong. I've gone 20+ years without a single dwarven death.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 07:39:33 pm »

I think 6, maybe 7 years?  I'll jump back into it in a moment and check.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:11:41 am »

I was playing with the kobold camp mod. This was the 40d version, so kobolds had no metals of any sort, and I embarked weaponless besides my chopper (woodcutter) kobold, and a hunter with what I think was a slingshot.

Anyways, my hunter does his hunting thing from the start (no farming with kobolds). He hunts all the current animals off the map. Guess what replaces them.

A werewolf.

My hunter runs over and alerts the other kobolds, who dash into the basement of the hut I had built. The fisherbold is locked outside, and mauled by the wolf. The kobolds in the basement begin to arm up, but the werewolf leaves the map. Relieved, they run outside and make a bucket for the injured fisherdwarf. A few days pass.

The wolf comes again.

In the frenzy to escape, not only are the hunter and crafter trapped outside, but the door is jammed open with the bucket. The kobolds cannot remove it and the wolf gets inside before they can barricade the door. After mauling the fisherbold again (he really hated that guy) and just slashing a few more kobolds after trapping on the roof, he dashes into the moated work area, where the kobolds are able to trap him with a locked door. However, all the supplies are out there. Also in the frenzy, the injured kobolds have died. Two kobolds are left, and are huddled in the basement while the wolf stomps around on the surface. The digger and the crafter. The eat some of the remaining fish, and wait. Eventually the wolf busts down the door to the work area and leaves the map. The crafter expires from her injures, leaving the digger alone.

He carefully chips 6 coffins from the stockpiled wood and arranges them. He walls them off, and on top of them raises a tall tower as a monument to the kobolds. He then locks himself on top. At the end, one corpse, on top of the tallest tower of wood, and 30 z-levels under 6 coffins of his fellow kobolds.

The wolf was later hunted down and killed in adventure mode.
There might be a few inaccuracies in this, because this fort was so long ago. I don't know if werewolves were buildingdestroyers in 40d, as well as a few other things, and I lost the world to computer cleanup a year ago.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 05:14:00 am »

The highest death toll I've ever had:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This fort's been around for twelve years. Do the math.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:14 am »

Damn man, what was your defense strategy, choking the enemy with the corpses of your dorfs?

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:19 am »

I had one with about 8 pages of dead demons alone... but it wasn't my most bloody fort.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 11:37:13 am »

!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 09:23:42 am »

I wanted as many stacks of bone as possible (for a custom reaction I had)
Ummm....moar?

A reaction that takes two stacks of bone and creates a flask of powdered bone.  I used powdered bone for a few things, but the most general use was to take five flasks of powdered bone and charcoal (not just as fuel) to make calcite (which is basically calcium carbonate).  Tada, a small source of flux on any map (but not enough that you'd be tempted to use the calcite to make stuff, I don't think).

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 11:01:03 am »

A recent product of my modding efforts is a race of dwarves that anger quicker than normal ones, and that butcher just about anything. The resulting fortress was probabaly my most horrible, depraved, hellish Fun fortress of all. Especialy with humans, elves and dwarves all starting out as enemies. After the goblin diplomat got himself killed I was literally at war with anything I could be at war with. Its still alive now, but its gone through its entire population multiple times. Its also one of the few fortresses where I actualy needed migrants because I kept running out.

Especialy human sieges made them all go nuts. They usualy took out only some 6 dwarves, but that was enough to cause most of the remaining ones to go batshit insane and mutilate/kill eachother. There was a broker who turned out to be walking around with an axe (I forgot he was also woodcutter) and regularly tantrumed and dismembered dwarves, filling up about half the hospital with dwarves that would also keep on tanruming dispite not being concious.

They also hated helping eachother the so wounded dwarves would only pile on the misery.

Not to mention the abundance of elf leather, the 10 blood thorn butcheries that were constantly running and the flesh block tower.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 12:58:19 pm »

In my big 40d fort, after one particularily successful siege that caused a tantrum spiral (very narrowly survived thanks to the fortress guard), the rate of dying dwarves was so high I had to start putting coffins in any available space. Later I moved the location of my fort to a big tower I was building in the great eastern mountain, and the old fort ended up being one big mountain of coffins.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »

I don't know about morbid, but bloodthirsty? I can tell you one about that.

It was in the 40d version. I'd duplicated the goblin entries twice, made each duplicate race bigger and with more DAMBLOCK than the last, and renamed them Hobgoblins and Orcs. This was back when a well outfitted champion was neigh invincible, remember.

After embark, every male immigrant instantly got drafted, married or not. The entrance to my fort was a modestly sized building aboveground (maybe thirty tiles accross, each way. ) A C-shaped hall around the edge of the building lead through the barracks, which were right next to the wagon. I had about forty soldiers and they were my entire defenses. No traps of any kind, no drawbridges, just forty male dwarves who soon became legendary wrestlers. When they got up to legendary in one weapon, I switched them to a new one, finishing off with swords. I like swords for my military because of what they represent. Battle. Other weapons are used for other things- hammers for smashing rocks and pounding metal, axes are used to cut wood, crossbows and spears are used to hunt, and maces are just a derivative of hammers. But swords are made specifically for warfare.

With three seige races next to my settlement, I was under attack almost constantly. The cleanup effort was legendary and I could hardly do anything outside without getting ambushed. I eventually abandoned that fort when all three races stopped attacking. Five years without so much as a snatcher. I was sad to have to do it.

Now, my most morbid? Prbably the one I'm working on now. My first megaproject involves two huge stone pillars and a 50 z-level high sky. At the center tile of each pillar, on every level, will be the corpse of a sentient creature. Dwarf, elf, human, doesn't matter. They'll be needed for the final step.

Atredies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 03:22:29 pm »

My bloodiest fort was back in the 40d version. On my 3rd or 4th fort, I decideed I was doing pretty well, so I added orcs and embarked with magma.

I had never played with orcs before, but I had killed goblin ambushes with one dwarf before. I thought "sure, orcs are tough, but I have crossbows and some cage traps, I'll be fine!"  I think I got lucky because the orcs didn't attack for a few years, but when they did, they killed all 5 marksdwarves, then about 10-15 of the civilians I drafted after that... and they did the same thing next year.
By year 4, I had about 50 or 70 dead dwarves, an aboveground fortress guarded by 15 champions, and I was working on a magmaflood lever. That was a great fort.
Tarn Adams: My favorite bugs are the one where the farmer walked over to the furniture stockpile, grabbed a bed, walked over to his farm and planted it, and the one with the injured hammerer. When both of his arms were broken and he was unable to hold his hammer to administer Dwarven Justice, he still went ahead with the punishment, but he bit his victims. This included shaking his head vigorously and tearing their arms off, which he then held in his mouth for years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4