Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your Most Morbid Fort?  (Read 6078 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: Your Most Morbid Fort?
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »

Not really grisly, but I once built a ziggurat made entirely of goblin tallow soap, and then populated it with caged goblins, and at the top was the Baron's bedroom.

Did you need to mod Ethics to allow making Goblin Tallow? & if so, where do I find out what to Mod? (the DFWiki page on Ethics lists the tags, but doesn't mention where they go).

"Eat_Sentient", under 40d.

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »

My most morbid fort was the one where the population got out of hand and slaughtered each other,went from 210 to 40 in a season,and the worst part was when a dwarf claimed a workshop,then went up to the nearest dwarf murdered him and turned him into an artifact.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »

Not really grisly, but I once built a ziggurat made entirely of goblin tallow soap, and then populated it with caged goblins, and at the top was the Baron's bedroom.

Did you need to mod Ethics to allow making Goblin Tallow? & if so, where do I find out what to Mod? (the DFWiki page on Ethics lists the tags, but doesn't mention where they go).

"Eat_Sentient", under 40d.

Thank you.

bomburs bane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 05:48:00 am »

Have you noticed that immigrants arrive at your fort wearing a full suit of clothes?  Taken together, all that cloth is worth quite a bit of cash.  I saw in this a truly dreadful way to run an economy.

My most morbid fort was a gulag.  I called it Rura Penthe ("Work well, and you will be treated, well.  Work badly...and you will die.")  I embarked on a glacier just above an aquifer.  The only shelter from the snow was an igloo built out of ice blocks, and that was for my expedition leader only.  No agriculture, no still -- the only domestic source of food was the puppy slaughterhouse I built in year two.  It helped that I didn't need much food and drink. 

I kept my population in the 2-4 range, keeping only those with skills I found useful at that time.  Unnecessary dwarfs were exiled to an ice floe to starve (retractable bridge).  Five of my original seven, all of the first wave of migrants, all but one of the second wave, etc.  Their stripped bodies started to pile up on my floe.  Their clothes were sold to buy booze and luxury goods like crowns and scepters. 

Here's where it gets really poignant.  Looking at my units menu, I discovered that one of my starving dwarfs had spontaneously started hunting for small animals (he had ambusher skills, as it turned out).  He was the last of his group still alive.  It was dreadfully sad seeing him root around for grubs on the bare snow.  I decided I liked his spirit and moved to rescue him, but I was too late.

I had to wrap it up -- it was too grim to stand any longer.  As a last act, I decided it was time to hide the bodies.  I undermined the floe and rigged it's last support to a lever.  Kaboom.  That's when I found out that a cave in will only destroy things below the rockfall, not things above.  The bodies were just scattered around a bit.  My expedition leader will have some explaining to do if the authorities show up.

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 06:27:13 am »

The Abby of Ponies is a name which is synonymous with dread upon one of the manifold worlds which the Dwarves inhabit.  The great obsidian cliffs which it was built into are said to be the product of an evil god's mad designs, distorting the earth to fit his whims.  Whatever cataclysm created those dread cliffs was such that it woke the very dead of that land, rendering the soil barren and instilling in it a horror such that it would reject all that were laid to rest in it, causing them to rise again as the undead.

On that cursed and blighted land, once, many years ago, a troupe of dwarves set forth to construct a fortress, the Abby of Ponies.  At first, all went as well as could be expected, with six of the poor souls dying, the final, utterly mad, dwarf who remained was possessed by the spirit of the foul spirit that forged the cliffs, and, spreading rumors of the great wealth to be had at the Abby, attracted a great many followers.

Soon, hundreds of slaves toiled in the dark shadow of those cliffs, daily sacrifices were made to the dark glory of the god, dwarves and captive prisoners hurled screaming from the top of a hundred foot cliff to their deaths upon great steel spikes below, where their remains were torn apart by undead groundhogs.  Many civilizations tried and failed to take that place, and such was its threat that even the goblins and dwarves untainted by the evil were willing to put aside their differences and attempt to blot out the horror.

To no avail, for the demon unleashed upon them torrents of lava, herds of ravening elephants and cunning traps of all descriptions.  The fields of the Abby of Ponies were submerged in blood and corpses, and the heads of the foes of the dark god decorated the cliff.  Those unfortunate souls who were taken alive by the servants of that god knew terror from thence on until the end of their lives, which they received with gratitude, those who were permitted to die.  For the dark god's entertainments were many and cruel, mazes of torture, inescapable rooms of death, whirling trap blades and pits full of horrors.

And at the center of that terrible fortress was the great throne room, a sight which could drive men mad with a simple glimpse, its architecture blearing the eyes, its engravings none but those of torment and death, suffering and agony, at its center, surrounded by a moat of molten rock, the great throne of the dark god, an obsidian artifact set with gold and engraved with images of frolicking fluffy wamblers, its incongruity the final stroke to breaking the minds of all who entered into that fortress of madness.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:50 am »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
FLUFFY WAMBLERS FOR THE FLUFFY WAMBLER THRONE!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:11 am »

skulls for the skull throne? too bad we cant make skull thrones....

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 10:33:37 am »

i think this fits in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwX_yxfMPKs

BACK STORY

in a peaceful land, 25 dwarves cut their way into a cliff. they made huge stores of metals, gems, and crafts. all the world's caravans came to see their wares.

but then a vile force came. and stole children. and spirited away their crafts. and killed their chained dogs on their way in and out.
so the dwarves pleaded to their legendary weaponsmith and armorsmith, please! please make masterful suits of armor and grievious tools of death. and so they were made. but they were not used until a band of dwarves trained enough to be called soldiers worthy to wield them. the dwarves built huge piles of copper cages, and the mechanic lined their moats' bridges with traps. all they needed now were the legions... and then they came.
they came year after year. they came with snatchers. they came with robbers. they came with bands of ambushes. and the dwarves locked them up each time, until over 150 of these foul beastmen were littered on their lawn. the dwarves asked, "what to do with them?" should they throw them down the magma pit? no, that would be a waste of precious copper cages. should they drown them in the moat? no, we don't want to drain the moat to get them.

we build a arena. with a balcony around the perimeter, to let the village see the carnage. 150+ cages, linked to one lever. maximum death.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2010, 04:09:11 pm »

i just recently had a fortress where my elephants and cats totally got out of control pupulation-wise, so i had 4 butchers going nonstop for hours killing them. Bones and miasma everywhere, after i killed something like 100-150 i gave up and flooded the whole place with magma just to kill them.
Pressure plates and hatches are the real way to deal with out of control animals. Basically just get the animals to cluster up at a door with a hatch in front of it. Open the hatch and voila- they're whatever minuscule degree of mercy you may or may not possess.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »

LOL at shameless necro.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »

Townbrush

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course that list excludes almost all of the pets and wildlife killed, but you get the idea. Is there some way to export the full units list? Because making it through screenshots manually would take ages.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:28:08 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]