Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37112 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

No argument there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2010, 03:08:28 pm »

I think it's a bit of a stretch at this point to call it a rip-off of Dungeon Keeper.  Funny as it may be, this really does seem to look like a kind of Dungeon Tycoon.  From what Chris' post illustrates, it's possible to actually have a kind of closed loop that heroes can wander through, fulfill their rampaging desires, and then let them go and still get something out of it.  The dungeon lord's involvement is really just a bonus, which may or may not be a "necessary bonus" in some of the levels.

This actually allays a couple of the niggling doubts I had about the project.  Now I believe I can see and understand the direction they're going in, and it also means that it's not strictly required for you to go out with your dungeon lord and do the dirty work yourself.  I'm happy to hear it.

Now I'm actually interested.  This sounds like it's shaping up to be a rather intriguing take on the standard theme, and there's a certain amount of promise in that direction. 

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:00 pm »

Huh!  Not long after Doom came out, in grade school, I always imagined doing something in this style...where you had to build your hellish keep from various materials, and let heroes run through it, toying with them all the way.

I am more interested in this game now.

...The "power up by building decorations!" concerns me though, because building decorations in Rollercoaster Tycoon was only fun to a certain point.  Here's my elaborate Wonderland-themed ride!  And here's my train that goes through ancient Egypt!  And...here's how I can minmax it, since it started becoming boring, so I'll just paint every tile in a 3-square radius with identical little decorative boxes on every subsequent ride.  Make decorations FUN or don't do them at all--I'm sure as goddamn hell not going to place them for appropriate aesthetics after the first level or two.  Oh yeah, and you've played Theme Hospital, right?  Remember how fun it was putting a little potted plant in every room, and carefully arranging the radiators so that their hard-to-fully-understand effects touched every area?  DON'T.  DO.  THAT.

And uh, thanks for reading our forums!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »

...The "power up by building decorations!" concerns me though, because building decorations in Rollercoaster Tycoon was only fun to a certain point.  Here's my elaborate Wonderland-themed ride!  And here's my train that goes through ancient Egypt!  And...here's how I can minmax it, since it started becoming boring, so I'll just paint every tile in a 3-square radius with identical little decorative boxes on every subsequent ride.  Make decorations FUN or don't do them at all--I'm sure as goddamn hell not going to place them for appropriate aesthetics after the first level or two.  Oh yeah, and you've played Theme Hospital, right?  Remember how fun it was putting a little potted plant in every room, and carefully arranging the radiators so that their hard-to-fully-understand effects touched every area?  DON'T.  DO.  THAT.

Agreed. If you're reading chris, please don't let them turn into that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2010, 01:19:37 pm »

Hopefully there will be some mechanic where the same decoration repeated in an area will give no effect, but regardless of how tough of mechanics you put in, we will find a way to min max it.

Keep working Chris. Don't forget to put out a demo!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2010, 02:11:49 am »

Hopefully there will be some mechanic where the same decoration repeated in an area will give no effect, but regardless of how tough of mechanics you put in, we will find a way to min max it.

Meh, that is even worse though. At least if I just have to spam one decoration pointlessly it's relatively easy, if I have to keep swapping decorations between each click then that's not only pointless but also time consuming (and not exactly friendly to my ever painful RSI).

Hopeful they manage to avoid any such pointlessly trivial mechanics and have actually fun game play. Of course theme hospital was wonderful even with some of the stupid design choices they made.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2010, 06:09:07 pm »

Er, either you're in the wrong thread, or you totally posted the wrong link. Cause that was just randomly bizarre. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2010, 11:56:55 pm »

Er, either you're in the wrong thread, or you totally posted the wrong link. Cause that was just randomly bizarre. :P
hey don't dis A7X, its not bizarre its politically weird.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2010, 02:17:41 am »

hey don't dis A7X, its not bizarre its politically weird.
A7X dine on monkey's nutsack.

And take riffs from other bands.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:19:38 am by Medicine Man »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2010, 04:33:21 am »

Oh god I can't wait for this. I was extremely late to the dungeon keeper party, but I still loved the games.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2010, 05:02:23 am »

Oh god I can't wait for this. I was extremely late to the dungeon keeper party, but I still loved the games.

It's not really anything much like dungeon keeper at this point.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2010, 06:40:55 am »

LOL sorry about that xD

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/dungeons/news.html?sid=6280797&om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;story;5&mode=previews

That's the link I wanted to link :P I wasn't tired or anything...(A)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2010, 01:23:07 pm »

Okay...  Odd teaser.

And it had better be well aware of how much it's mimicking Dungeon Keeper.  That knight's armor looks almost like a direct copy, and most of the other aspects of the video are very recognizable for anyone who's played DK2.

Also, that goblin is Shrek for some reason.

Still interested in seeing how this all pans out.  I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt right up until everything goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2010, 11:33:12 pm »

Everyone who's shown interest in this might want to check out this forum page:
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=7115

They have started CLOSED BETA registration.  Hope you enjoy!
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28