Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: In Russia, only forest fires can prevent you!  (Read 3522 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: In Russia, only forest fires can prevent you!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 05:50:49 am »

This is horrific. Even though I wasn't touched by our fires, I was present for it, and I know how bad it gets. A lot of people are still reeling over here. Jesus, it's like that times 100. Deaths reaching 700 a day?. This is insane. I hope our Russian forum members are alright.

Read up. It's not 700/day.

Still bad, though.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 05:51:33 am »

Deon and Sean Mirrsen have yet to chime in on the fire, so perhaps it's not as bad as it looks.

Or perhaps the fire already got them...

That is fantastically helpful, man.

Deon's been posting in his mod threads, so he's (probably) fine.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 06:26:24 am »

This is horrific. Even though I wasn't touched by our fires, I was present for it, and I know how bad it gets. A lot of people are still reeling over here. Jesus, it's like that times 100. Deaths reaching 700 a day?. This is insane. I hope our Russian forum members are alright.

Still bad, though.
Yeah, somehow I thought that might be a leeeetle bit exaggerated.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 06:44:57 am »

Although I'm continuing to see the 700/day figure repeated in major media. Seems like the source for that figure is one Andrei Seltsovsky, head of the Moscow city health department. Apparently the Russian Health Ministry is disputing the claim:

The Health Ministry criticized Seltsovsky, saying it was "bewildered by these unofficial figures" and that Moscow's death rates had actually fallen in January-June.

Health Minister Tatyana Golikova told a news conference that the heavy smog with the severe heat was "a real test" indeed for Moscow's residents with vascular and heart diseases. But she said she had no data about a rise in Moscow's death rates.

But...there's also indications that the Russian government may be trying to downplay the number of affected:

Many Muscovites have been braving their trips to work, wearing facemasks to try to filter the smoke, but the masks were increasingly hard to find and some doctors raised concerns about an official whitewash of the real impact of the smoke in Moscow.

An unnamed doctor at a Moscow clinic wrote on his Internet site over the weekend that he was wary of diagnosing patients with heat- and smoke-related illnesses for fear of dismissal.

Another doctor at a major hospital, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters on Sunday that senior management had instructed staff not to link patients' illnesses with the heat.

And there's yet another potential disaster looming:

The severe drought and wildfires have destroyed 20 percent of Russia's wheat crop, prompting the government last week to introduce a ban on grain exports for the rest of the year. The news drove the price of wheat, which has already jumped 70 percent on world markets this summer, even higher.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 07:29:12 am »

That is fantastically helpful, man.

Deon's been posting in his mod threads, so he's (probably) fine.
I thought Deon lived in St. Petersburg? If so, he isn't in any danger from the fires at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 07:37:18 am »

New satellite photo:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:36 am »

I'm guessing the obvious lines represent time zones?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:28 am »

Satellite passes. Hence each "band" is probably 90 minutes or so apart in time (or whatever the sat's orbital period is)

Interesting bit of background from Wikipedia:
Swamps and bogs surrounding Moscow had been drained in the 1960s for agricultural use and mining of peat to generate energy. In 2002, a series of hard-to-extinguish peat fires led the government to the recognition that peat fields needed to be rewatered to prevent wildfires. By 2010, however, large peat areas that had not been rewatered contributed to the wildfires. Government officials said they could not have anticipated the heatwave that caused the fires. However, critics have blamed complacent officials for ignoring warnings of blazes near villages. Sergey Robaten, Vadim Tatur, and Maksim Kalashnikov argue that the fires and the inability to contain and extinguish them was due to “the inaction of bureaucrats” and Vladimir Putin's elimination of the national fire service in 2007. Putin had transferred responsibility for fighting fires to those renting state property and the subjects of the federation, with the assumption that owners or renters would spend the money necessary to prevent forest fires, however the reality in Russia was that companies were seeking to make quick profits and so neglected forest fire fighting. Putin's spokesman stated "this is a well functioning system which only needs some minor adjustments".

Awesome. Let's surround a major city with dried-out peat fields, and then make firefighting a purely local thing. What could possibly go wrong?

EDIT: Also, when trying to leave a burning village, make sure the road is not on fire.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:58:50 am by RedKing »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:55 pm »

I read on the front page of Wikipedia AND Yahoo! that deaths are 700/day.

If that isn't true, then I don't know what to believe in anymore. After all, journalists don't lie. It's their job not to.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »

After all, journalists don't lie. It's their job not to.
you forgot to add a sarcasm tag.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 03:40:07 pm »

Too many journalists get their figures from the same source, which is obviously Andrei.

I take him as a credible source, though. Seven hundred dead a day from HUGE PARTS OF THE COUNTRY BURNING, even in modern times, isn't implausible. We should actually feel lucky the number is that low considering what's going on.

I hope to hell the brushfire hasn't spread here. There almost certainly is radioactive ash right now. If the main Chernobyl area goes, it'll be like it happened all over again- now with somewhat less intensity, but a lot more fallout!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »

Well, we got our share of fires over here in Tolyatti. Even had a sort of smog. It seems mostly in control by now. We had a few forest roads closed, and general warnings sent through SMS by the cellular operators to stay out of the forests. One of the messages was to the effect of "Stay away from the forest at such-and-such places, firefighting aircraft at work." Knowing some people around here, I'd expect the message would have an effect completely opposite to the intended one. We don't get to see those things too often. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 03:48:51 pm »

Knowing some people around here, I'd expect the message would have an effect completely opposite to the intended one.

Paging Charles Darwin to the lobby. Charles Darwin to the lobby, please.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 11:12:45 pm »

700 deaths TOTAL. A day. it's not that much. Smoke related deaths? Minusicle, never raises above 15-20. tbh, smoke cleared up now.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 02:31:53 am »

Still bad, though.
Moscow times said it doubled- but, from 10 a day to 20.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4