Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: In Russia, only forest fires can prevent you!  (Read 3527 times)

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Russia, only forest fires can prevent you!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 10:15:21 am »

Theory: Judging from the fire overlay showing ten billion thousand fires in Russia, I think I know what's happened - The German Army has launched a second Blitzkrieg in retaliation for their defeat 7 decades ago. Only now instead of gaining and holding ground, they're just concentrating on getting rid of those damn forests which so frustrated their armies so long ago. Just look at the distribution people! that's army group south charging forth, spurred onwards by the angry ghost of Generalfeldmarschall Paulus! Supernatural leadership also explains why this isn't being reported - The ghosts are smothering the news station transmitters with ectoplasm whenever they try to spread the story.

...Still. Impressive number of fires.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:30 am »

Indeed, I imagine the larger ones are...well, I don't remember what it is precisely, but when a fire reaches around 1800 Fahrenheit the surrounding air will just explode or somthing to that effect. I was watching a National Geographic show about firefighters that talked of it a few years ago, but the memory has since faded. Anyone know what it is I'm attempting to discribe?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 10:24:11 am »

Yup. Smothering it with Poles, waiting for winter, and getting drunk.

Only the last method seems to be working very well.
Keeping in mind how the statistics for people who drown drunk in Russia have sky-rocketed over the last months of extreme heat...

Off topic, I just realised the Swedish word for drown is "drunkna". Coincident? I think not.

Spoiler: Russia fire map (click to show/hide)
Is that lake called "Lake Mope"?

Chernoye More = Black Sea

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 10:26:18 am »

Im in moscow now, and I can say 700 a day is bullshit. We had 170 people or so die in fires, 4 died in metro due to breathing problems because of heat, but 700 a day is bullshit. While smoke is indeed, pretty bad (It cleared up right now, but 4 hours ago, I couldnt see the outline of the 5 story building 100 meters away.), 700 sounds like he threw accidental 00 in there.
-edit-
Found it. 3 deaths today, 7 yesterday, 4 two days ago. 2.6k hospitalizations.
700 a day?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:30:28 am by Pillow_Killer »
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 10:28:39 am »

Im in moscow now, and I can say 700 a day is bullshit. We had 170 people or so die in fires, 4 died in metro due to breathing problems because of heat, but 700 a day is bullshit. While smoke is indeed, pretty bad (It cleared up right now, but 4 hours ago, I couldnt see the outline of the 5 story building 100 meters away.), 700 sounds like he threw accidental 00 in there.

You sure the guy who wrote this didn't just mix up days with years or somthing? Because my bullshit alarm is deafining at the moment.

Oh yeah, I sort-of called it! Kind of. Almost. Not really at all. *Sigh*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 10:33:50 am »

Oh yeah, most of these are old people dying of pneumonia and shit.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 10:40:07 am »

Yup. Smothering it with Poles, waiting for winter, and getting drunk.

Only the last method seems to be working very well.
Keeping in mind how the statistics for people who drown drunk in Russia have sky-rocketed over the last months of extreme heat...

Off topic, I just realised the Swedish word for drown is "drunkna". Coincident? I think not.

Spoiler: Russia fire map (click to show/hide)
Is that lake called "Lake Mope"?

Taken that way, the Russian More (not pronounced like the word more in english I'm sure), is similar to the Latin Mare (look up some of the features on the moon) which also means sea. Etymology is amazing that way isn't it?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:13:37 pm by smjjames »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 12:12:15 pm »

Mare is sea in Latin, not Greek. Fix your geekdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »

Mare is sea in Latin, not Greek. Fix your geekdom.

*facepalm* Right, I knew that, don't know why I said greek......

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:09 pm »

Taken that way, the Russian More (not pronounced like the word more in english I'm sure), is similar to the greek Mare (look up some of the features on the moon) which also means sea. Etymology is amazing that way isn't it?
We are all brothers in words.

I was only joking :)

But while we're at it, do "Chernoye" mean black as well? If so, does that mean Chernobyl translates to "Black -something"?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 01:57:07 pm »

Taken that way, the Russian More (not pronounced like the word more in english I'm sure), is similar to the greek Mare (look up some of the features on the moon) which also means sea. Etymology is amazing that way isn't it?
We are all brothers in words.

I was only joking :)

But while we're at it, do "Chernoye" mean black as well? If so, does that mean Chernobyl translates to "Black -something"?

The city is named after the Ukrainian word for mugwort or wormwood (Artemisia vulgaris), which is "chornobyl". The word is a combination of the words chornyi (чорний, black) and byllia (билля, grass blades or stalks), hence it literally means black grass or black stalks. That may signify burnt grass, perhaps prior to cultivation.

Oh Great Internet, is there any question you can't answer, if only people think to ask you?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »

In all seriousness, I assume the typical "douse it with shitloads of water" and "dig/burn clear zones around the fires". I know people are getting pissed that the government hasn't been able to get control of it.

Doesn't work to well for a forest fire. Usually, when they get this size, its a case of "douse houses with shitloads of water, and create firebreaks, stop spot fires ahead of the main blaze and let it burn itself out on the forests". Really, they're so big that there's hardly anything that you can do about the fire front itself.
Magma is overrated.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 04:44:22 am »

This is horrific. Even though I wasn't touched by our fires, I was present for it, and I know how bad it gets. A lot of people are still reeling over here. Jesus, it's like that times 100. Deaths reaching 700 a day?. This is insane. I hope our Russian forum members are alright.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:45:56 am by Jackrabbit »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 05:17:18 am »

Deon and Sean Mirrsen have yet to chime in on the fire, so perhaps it's not as bad as it looks.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 05:46:19 am »

Deon and Sean Mirrsen have yet to chime in on the fire, so perhaps it's not as bad as it looks.

Or perhaps the fire already got them...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4