Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1512205 times)

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #4695 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:46 am »

ILRAL.

RUN OVER AND GRAB YOUR INJURED COMMANDER, YOU SHITHEAD. STOP DANCING AROUND IN THE STORM OF BOLTS.

THAT'S AN ORDER.

-The hopeless Overseer.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:22 pm »

Dear Urists McUnderclass
Just because I've installed amenities in this fortress does not mean I like you.  The masterwork engravings in your miserable little 1x3 rooms?  Engravers need to keep their skills from rusting.  The statues in the "Recreation Commons"?  I was training my metalcrafters on lead statues so the gold ones for the Queen would be higher quality.  The ever-growing Zoo?  Her Majesty mandates cages, forbids their export, and we're in savage lands.  Do the math.

So, when I need you pointlessly toiling away on whatever gigantic tower, arena, or the like I've ordered up today, I expect you to do it rather than throwing parties.  I don't need your "We love the Overseer" flattery, so if I keep getting it and no work, the next project will be a magma pump stack to immolate those who displease me.

-Tevish Szat, Dark Lord of Dawnhammers

Dear Urist McChef
The Giant Raven eggs in the nest boxes are for breeding a great Unkindness of Giant Ravens, not cooking ☼Giant Raven Egg Omelets☼.  Keep your grubby food haulers away from the aerie.  I've locked it off after that first debacle and we've gained a dozen ravens, as desired.  When I open it up to extend the tower, I expect your cooperation on this matter.

-Tevish Szat, Overseer

Dear Urist McQueen
You mandate cages, and when I order cages made, you march off to the carpenter's workshop and build some yourself, getting a good thought for being "Satisfied at Work".  Keep it up.

-Your pleased Overseer.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: January 10, 2013, 03:10:36 pm »

Dear Overseer,

Sorry about the confusion with the eggs.  I was just trying to cook up the most delicious meals I could think of for your pleasure.  Perhaps if you had forbidden those eggs from being cooked in the stocks library, kitchen section, I would have known better.  Speaking of those omelets, how were they?  Were they dry at all, because I was afraid I might have overcooked them a tad.

-Urist McChef

Deer Oversar,

We jus wanna sho u we luv ur fortruz sew maoch.  Joen da partie, we haav alce.. aloco.. booz!

-Urists
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: January 10, 2013, 05:44:35 pm »

Dear Urists

Don't let the goblins eat you this season!

Sincerely, your beloved overlord
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:15 am »

Dear Dwarven Merchant from the Mountainhomes,
if you like so much our outpost, why are you so greedy that I cannot trade 3 iron bars with a mere dwarven room barrel and a bag of seeds?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: January 11, 2013, 12:37:20 pm »

To the illustrious Kaspa, Overseer:

My good sir,

It may surprise you to know, that the added expense deals with a number of extenuating circumstances, and has very little to do with any personal predjudice, I assure you.

In the instance of those fine iron bars, one must consider what is required for them to be offered from amongst my fine selection of wares. A prospector, to identify the ore deposit, miners, to reveal the ore and free it from the cold earth, haulers to move the ore to the stockpiles and foundries, a foundry worker to smelt the ore into quality metal, an animal trainer to train my pack animals, a carpenter to construct my wagon, and of course, where I come in at the very last, the merchant, who makes the journey to present you with such fine merchandise.

Clearly, one can see how each one of those steps must invariably add value to the cost of a product, how a coarse wooden barrel and a featureless, drab, burlap bag filled with simple seeds just isn't sufficient for barter? Perhaps if one had encrusted a high quality barrel of fine craftsmanship with traces of lustrous metals and brilliantly sparkling gems, and if one had presented such seeds in a beautifully embroidered bag of excellent workmanship, could have had a deal, but as it stands with the merchandise such as it is, I simply can't imagine you getting all those items you wanted to trade for.

Clearly, if I am to be able to continue being a merchant I must return with items of sufficient value to cover my initial outlay, and the expenses of the trip with some extra. If I traded at a loss, my business and liklihood would surely suffer for it, and so I simply could not do that trade.

I look forward to seeing the amazing crafts and products of your impressive contribution to our glorious dwarven kingdom next autumn when I return, so that we might engage in a mutually beneficial enterprise.

Afterall, our fortunes rise and fall together!

Urist McMerchant.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: January 11, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »

Dear McMerchant,
I understand your reasoning, but I was trying to sell you the bars.
Next year I'll have some useless rock crafts that I'll be more than happy to offer you in exchange of booze and supplies, so suit yourself. I won't be giving a single shard of ore.
Kaspa, Overseer

PS: could you at least keep in mind that I want a MALE dog, since I already have female ones?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: January 12, 2013, 04:38:49 am »

Urist McChildLaborer

There is a stockpile full of limonite like 12 steps away from the foundry.  You do not need to go upstairs, out of the fortresss, across the wilderness festooned with goblin corpses, dwarf corpses from the necromancer siege, and the occasional live child snatcher to pick up the piece of limonite that was mined out excavating the future magma pump stack.  I know you are thirsty and hungry after your long, slow journey.  Please go have something to eat and drink and leave the next smelting job  for a dwarf who is a little bit less ambitious in his material gathering goal.

And no, I can't designate that stockpile, because it is brimming with limonite and nothing else, and I want you smelting gold and garnierite too.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: January 12, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »

Dear Urist McMerchant.

You came here to make a profit.  You had to know it was dangerous, and you also knew there was great profit to be made.  Freaking out like a child and abandoning your wagon load of goods when the goblins attack one of your compatriots is not the way to make any profit at all.

If you don't want to trade, fine, but at least take all the stuff you brought to trade back with you, don't leave it laying forbidden in my depot to rot.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: January 12, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »

Dear computer

Please don't freeze while I'm trying to save the game.

I hate you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

Dear Urist McChampion
How can you expect to stay the most badass of all the dwarfs in the Bronzemark if you keep getting yourself killed?
I understand that getting shot in the throat is not something that you can readily prevent, but we do lock down (or more technically up) the drawbridges in an attempt to channel bow-wielding enemies into the Path of Most Resistence which, as you know, is littered with infallible reciprocating pointy sticks, spinning discs, spiked balls and other such nastinesses devised by the fortress's engineers.
And I know that you couldn't have realistically known to dodge the hammer that caved in your skull when attacked from behind, but all this playing with the space-time continuum on my part in an attempt to keep you alive has got to stop, for who know what damage it may be doing to your timeline.
That time you fell in the moat and drowned when fighting that minotaur was genuinely pretty funny, though.

Thanks much,
your Overseer.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: January 12, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »

Dear Urist McNewCarpenterBecauseTheFirstOnePlayedFetchWithAnAlligator,

First off, stop bitching about not having a bed, this is an outpost, not a mountainhome(yet). You want comfort? Shouldn't have come.

Second, when I tell you that we need beds made, what do you do? You haul shit back and forth. I guess you didn't really want that bed so badly after all. Quit fucking around and do some real work, the hauling can wait till the first set of migrants come.

Signed with boundless hate,
He Who Can Destroy Your World With A Twitch Of His Index Finger.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: January 12, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »

Dear Urists McSoldier;

Yes, the giant toad is in the water. However, we do have bows and arrows.

And you're standing right above the water anyway. Why can't you just stab it from above?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: January 12, 2013, 08:21:36 pm »

Dear Urist McSadcrafter.

I know, I know. Mugs are great. Bone mugs are great. But... WHY DID YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR WIFE'S BONES?

Totally freaked out, Your Lord and Master.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: January 12, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »

Dear computer

Thanks for ceasing to accept input from the mouse. That's very helpful.

Sincerely, the guy who relied on you for entertainment.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 504