Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain  (Read 19291 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things You've Never Been Able To Explain
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2010, 05:28:53 pm »

Music, man. Never figured it out. You can hear it and feel it but it can't be seen.

You can see it if you have synesthesia. Probably the coolest defect you can get.
Well, you don't really see it. Just what the brain does in an attempt to render sounds as sight.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2010, 05:32:28 pm »

You don't really see anything, it's all your brain working. So it's as good as anything.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2010, 05:34:13 pm »

What I mean is that your occular nerve and eyes take in visual data within the visible light range, and your brain renders it. Your eyes aren't able to detect sound waves, however. Thus, seeing music is a fully fictional render, while standard sight is not.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2010, 05:39:47 pm »

Is my green your purple? etc
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2010, 05:44:51 pm »

What I mean is that your occular nerve and eyes take in visual data within the visible light range, and your brain renders it. Your eyes aren't able to detect sound waves, however. Thus, seeing music is a fully fictional render, while standard sight is not.
Your brain just interprets information. Interpreting sounds as images is pretty common. Bats and dolphins do it all the time, and so do oscilloscopes coupled with microphones.

Aside from that, there is a quality in music that is not in other sounds, which is probably what Jack meant. Many people have wondered about it, and it's probably another layer of information, which can again be processed into "images".
Edit: Really good musicians can "see" or "read" music just by reading the notes on paper. They can read a few lines and say "wow, that's beautiful...".

Ontopic:

A guy I know has contracted Lyme's disease. He has had a few... neural malfunctions. The most notable being: if he closes his eyes, he sees nothing.
Really, nothing. He can't produce images in his mind anymore, either remembered or made-up. Pretty weird, and harsh. I mean, he can't even imagine "naked ladies" anymore.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:46:38 pm by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »

If he really is fully incapable of remembering or imaging things, then he should be in a constant state of mental flux, knowing nothing. Thus, I'm assuming it isn't that absolute?
No Gods, No Masters.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2010, 01:31:25 pm »

He can remember, he just lost... his "mind's eye". You can imagine a sound or an image or even a smell, he no longer can for images.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2010, 04:05:09 am »

This is now Things You've Never KITTEEH thread!

Spoiler: Sunshine kittie! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cat meet Hog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sleepey kitteh! (click to show/hide)

Not in chronological order, so she changes a little appearance-wise.
And no, I don't care about derailing this thread further. :D
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2010, 07:07:49 am »

Music, man. Never figured it out. You can hear it and feel it but it can't be seen.

You can see it if you have synesthesia. Probably the coolest defect you can get.

NO. It is a MIRACLE.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2010, 07:15:26 am »

More kitties!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:35 am »

I can't explain why I have been getting random migranes this year.They just appear out of nowhere so i'll get it checked

Oh and more KITTEHS!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2010, 11:07:22 am »

Your brain just interprets information. Interpreting sounds as images is pretty common. Bats and dolphins do it all the time, and so do oscilloscopes coupled with microphones.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about echolocation. Everyone says bats "see" with it, but I'm not sure they actually process it into images like us humans see. If anything, I think it would manifest more as an acute second-by-second knowledge of the distance of every object around you in relation to yourself. There's nothing really comparable to it among human senses. We just equate it to sight because it fills the same role and it's the easiest way to wrap your mind around it.

This is just conjecture, I suppose, but it's one of the reasons I love bats so much.

As for unexplained stuff: We once bought a new, sealed copy of Super Mario 64 from some mainsteam store, and when we put it in the N64 there was already a file with 100% completion on the cartridge.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2010, 12:13:03 pm »

But do you "see"? If I take apart your brain, would I eventually see little images? My point is not that bats see images, but that we don't. It's surprising how much information reaches our retinas, and how little information eventually percolates into our consciousness. There's so many filters and abstractions in between, that it's hard to speak of "images" at all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »

As for unexplained stuff: We once bought a new, sealed copy of Super Mario 64 from some mainsteam store, and when we put it in the N64 there was already a file with 100% completion on the cartridge.

It's possible that someone returned their cartridge after completing it, and then the store just fixed up the packaging, and maybe shrink-wrapped it to look like new.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2010, 02:50:01 pm »

I can't explain why I have been getting random migranes this year.
Genuine, crippled-on-the-couch-for-several-hours migranes shouldn't just show up out of nowhere. You should certainly consider seeing a doctor at your first oppertunity.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17