Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Book shall rise! 3 'chapters' done.  (Read 2184 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
A Book shall rise! 3 'chapters' done.
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:11:34 pm »

Ok so I had an idea. Lets make a story!
Reader cancels read; Thinks of quantum singularities.
No seriously, not that kind of story. Yes, we have had many silly, funy and stupid stories here. What I am thinking of is a literal book. Every person will be given the ability to write a maximum of 500 words(I think that was the max.) and then the next person has to continue, and so forth. The book can involve jokes or silly phrases or other things but please don't ruin the whole thing. The story should somewhat go with the enviroment of the Hobbit or the LOTR series.

The main plot is that there are 7 magical stones that were mined out by the dwarfs in long forgotten days. These gems are now lost among the whole world landing into the hands of whom so ever finds them and knows how to use them.
One of the last stones is mined out by a dwarf crew of seven dwarfs. There is also a dark lord who wishes to get this stone because it is the largest one of all. If he gets this stone then he will be powerful enough to open an ancient portal, leading to a mysterious source of evil, that he wishes to unleash upon the world.

Ok so I'l go first. (I am not American or English, so please excuse me. I am Latvian and dont judje me(too hard), Because you have no idea what Latvian writing is like!!!)

Pages:
1:(Me)http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62910.msg1447212#msg1447212
2:(Oidip)http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62910.msg1448888#msg1448888
3:(Me)http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62910.msg1449027#msg1449027
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:35:02 am by antymattar »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Book shal rise! 3 'pages'(not realy pages) done
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:12:05 pm »

Placeholder.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:33:57 am by antymattar »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Book shal rise!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »

The group of seven had just arrived at the mountain side when Urist, The leader sat down on a rock and said "I like this spot. How long do you think the supplies will last, Aloth?" The herbalist picked up a chrup and after chewing it a bit confirmed his suspicions "Yep, They will last long enough for us to dig a small cave. But look! This place is filled with grub! Look, this is queenbeard!"
"An I bet poor old Sid is getting too tired to carry all thi load" stated Elma, the healer, whilst untying a haversack from Sids back.

The dwarfs started to dig their caves when one day, something happened. Something unexpected

"Urist, Urist! Come Quick!"
"What is it Jef?"
The miner pointed at a small hole in the wall. It seemed to lead to some hollow place. Urist inspected it and said
"Just a small earth pit. Its not a cavern."
"No, look!" Said Jef as he put the torch closer to the hole. As the miner did this they could both make out the faint outline of a golden helmet with a big green jewel in it.
"My dear! Derk, come help us dig!"
As the miner came to help them, they had already dug a fourth of the way throe. They were half way finished when Derk gave out a scream. A skeleton fell out, its head detaching ad rolling off with the helmet until it stopped."
"What in the world! How did that get in there" said Urist as he threw down the torch to pick up a stick and poke the skull with it. "It must have been here for seasons. Look, the clothes are all eaten. And the bones are almost the same as the clothes!" As he was poking it the gem fell out of its socket and landed near Urists feet.
"Whoo, What kind of jem do you think it is, Jef?" Said Dirk as he and Urist were marveling it's beauty.
"I don't know! I have never seen sutch a stone. Dark jet green and very hard. Can I have it please...Yes veryhard indeed. Outch!"
"Watch it! Don't break it!" Exclaimed Urist as Jef dropped it to take hold of his aching tooth.
"Break it!? It almost broke me"
"Whats all this screaming and...What happened!?" Asked Borm, The brewer and recorder. "Looks like you found a pretty emerald!"
"Tis no emerald! Emeralds are not that dark." Said Urist.
"So what is it?" Asked Borm.
"We don't know."
"You don't know... Can I have it?" Asked Brom, but Urist raised it up and said "Nah! It's mine! I found it!"
"Nah! You where half way when we had almost finished it all, Aint that right Derk?"
"Yep! Heard it all me'self!" Said Borm. "Dwarven Greed wont do here. Hand me the stone and I'l tell you all about it this evenin'!"
"Okay, But you better not lose it! Or else i'l show you dwarven greed."

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:16 pm »

Meanwhile in the gum drop forest, the elves are having a party with the trees.
Sir Elfstein speaks up, "Oh boy, what a wonderful party, I sure enjoy this party, for I love parties."
The elven equivalent of a butler replies, " Sir, would you like some Corpses o' Douls?"
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »

Wtf?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:05:08 am »

For the record, it is shall has two "L"'s.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:22:05 am »

Wtf?
I take it you don't imagined elves as snobby aristocrats who also are cannibals that live in trees.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:47:24 am »

No. I dont want to make fun of elfs here.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 04:33:01 am »

In a story intended for a book. Which is made of paper. Which comes from trees.

Either way, if you are going to ignore such an integral part, don't expect much participation.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:33:45 am »

I'll right page 2!

All seven of them sat round the table. In silence. The green gem sitting in the middle, each of them knew that the stone was valuable but they had to make sure that they got something out of it.
"We need to make sure that there aren't other riches buried in this mountain." Urist finally spoke out. " We will switch all operations to mining. We have enough food to last us through winter and more than enough booze. Derk use exploratory mining to find an ore vein, everyone else will either be fishing or helping Aloth gather plants so we can stock up. Remember lads this could make us all rich."
But Urist cared not whether the others became rich or not. While they were busy he would tell them a Mandrill or a Kobold stole it. The gem was more important than any thing else. A little while later while urist was admiring himself for his great plan. He turned round to actually see a kobold. He was holding the gem. Before urist could react he was out the door. "THIEF THIEF!" Shrieked Urist at the top of his voice. The kobold ran outside only to be met by Aloth. He wasn't a simple herbalist any more. Urist could see that there was insanity in his eyes. It was in the eyes of all the others. The all got to there feet slowly and just stared at the kobold.
*Plink*
It dropped the gem.
"I ams so sorry, I was not knowing it yours..."
Aloth crouched to pick it up and chuckled.
The kobold relaxed.
Aloth, clutching the gem, swung it at the kobold.
It struck him in the head. Silence followed.

Months later.
Even by Dwarven standards had these dwarves become greedy. Every migrant who saw that mysterious green gem instantly changed. Willing to dig for weeks on end. The mining efforts hand no been pointless though. It was as if an entire fortress was filled in. Expect everything in the fort was  masterwork. A single sock from that ancient fortress was worth more than the king. Urist had given up on self reliance. Instead every trade wagon that came along. Him and some others would go out in their master work amour and simply take what they needed. If there where any complaints then they would be apprehend and would work in the mines of GreedChannels.

Derk ran into Urist office in a fret.
"Sir think you should come see this engraving!"
Urist followed expecting to see some engraving that got in the way of the mining. They knew what I would say every time. All they had to do was carve it off the wall.
 However when Urist saw this engraving he knew it was different. He was the only one of the these slack-jaws who had had a proper education. So he could read old dwarfvish.
It was the story of this fortress. However at the beginning it was poor quality engraving.
It had started like many others. However they stumbled upon an odd stone. After that the engraving instantly became almost life like. It told of how everybody in the fortress suddenly started acting strange. It then rold of how they all performed amazing works of craftdwarfship. For a long time the fortress entered a golden age. Spanning 400 years. Every person instantly becoming Legendary in there profession. However one dwarf used the stone to create a golden helmet. He showed everybody his work. However in the night a dwarf got jealous of his helmet. He snuck into the other dwarves room at night and killed him. As his blood washed over the stone. It changed from an indescribable colour to dark green. Afterwards evey dwarf who saw the helmet was instantly over taken by greed. Ever death in the fortress was caused by by another dwarf. The only thing which collapse the legendary HeavanTunnels was itself.

"Hah" Laughed Urist nervously "It is simply a story of some past fortress, but not this one."
"But that looks like the helemet we found" said Derk doubtfuly.
"No the helmet is simply a representation of how well the fort was doing. See after this dwarves kills this other one it changes to a much more dull colour. Then everybody goes tantruming. It s just to scare dwarves out of killing people. Nothing to worry about...."
As Urist walked off he was aware they were still looking at him.
"Sooooo, what do we do with it?" Called Derk.
He could get rid of it, though Urist, this was his chance.
"Tunnel through it, not the best I've seen."

By the way I've sort of been implying the Green stone causes greed like a negative magical effect. (Green-Envy, Envy-Greed)
Join the new Hermit Succession

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 08:58:41 am »

sorry to say this, but it's a bit tough for me to understand, especially the last part where it said something about the dwarves making masterworks and stuff...

I'm gonna think about the next chapter too.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Book shall rise!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 10:30:30 am »

"Urist, you have to get rid of that gem!" Exclaimed Morb in a demanding yet careful manner.
"Have you gone mad?" Said Urist as his face took off a picture of innocence and bewilderment. "Do you know how much it is worth? Its worth a lot more than the time we have spent digin' out the rest o' this place!"
"It is worthless" Said Morb "How can you say that it has a value if you will never use it? How can it be worth more than the food, drink and shelter that has kept us alive? Its value is less than none! I would not be surprised if it came from Sladegates it's self!"
Urist stood, looking at the stone and shaking his head slowly in disbelief. "You lie! This is a rare jewel! There are but none like it!"
"Oh realy? Look at what its doing. Its ruining the heart of the whole fortress."
"Cant you see. This stone brings life to us. Because of it's fame people wish to come and live here just to gaze at it! There are twenty dwarfs who live here now. Before there were seven."
"But they are then disappointed by finding a cursed stone that brings only greed, selfishness, spoil....And death."
"What death? I see no death!"
"But you are dead inside. You are but a suit with skill and no mind. Oh I know what it dose, Urist! I know its power. I have seen it. You get better at crafting don't you. Only you knew of what the story could do to the ones left with a soul and mind! Even I were able to remember much older things that I had forgotten, jut by gazing at it."
"You are speaking discouragement to this settlement! How dare you speak of this. I command you to go back to your room and not bother us for the rest of this day! And if I hear any more talk of this, then you will have to live outside!"
"Fine, fine.... So when do you plan on selling it?"
"Gahaaaa.... That's it. You shall live out in the shed with Sid. Its fit for any dwarf who needs a shelter. And besides, I'm shore Sid has a soul left."
"What!? How dar..... Very well. But you will regret the day you sow that stone. You will regret!"

Borm and Migroo, One of the younger dwarfs in the outpost, sat outside the shed and were drinking some Queenbeard and google shroom soup. He was telling Migroo about what he read in one of the books he got from the Elven caravan. "So I read that... Hmm this stuff is great. Did you cook that?" Migroo gave a nod "Anyways, Where was I? Oh, So I read that there used to me a great war where the creatures of the deep thought against an alliance of Dwarfs, Humans, elfs and many other nations. The great gates that lead to the depths were sealed so that the deepest depths would never reach us again. But as it turns out it was dwarf greed that have again and again unleashed evil upon this earth by digging too deep. Migroo, do you know what Urist is?" Migroo sat pondering the question until he swallowed the rest of that soup"Urist is....Er, Greedy?"
"Yes he is. We risk Urist going mad with power. Why, with dwarfs comming to pay a visit so fast, he might go insane with greed and treasure."
"So what would you do. I mean, ever since I came Urist had been Urist."
"No, He didn't use t' be like that. He was a dwarf, but now he's... I have no idea what he is. It's that stone. I know it is! The stone is cursed! We have to get rid of it. And I have a plan. Come closer if you wish to take part in it."
Migroo sat powndering and said "Okay, but why me. Its just a regular pretty stone. I never knew much about rocks... Probably that's why they used t' call me a gnome."
"And that's what makes you perfect, me friend. I am old. I have learned much of life. Pretty stones do not tame me. here's what will do..."

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Book shall rise! 3 'chapters' done.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:34 am »

Bump-er...sticker?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:26:48 am »

Bump. I'm running out of bumps. Imagine, this could one day become famous.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »

I would like to help if it weren't that I am not good with names and a plan to steal the gem that is considered to be the most valuable thing in the fortress with 2 people would be kinda' hard... Oh and here is a list of gems it could be. (Leaving out emerald because it was said to not be that.)
aventurine, moss agate, moss opal, prase opal, prase, variscite, demantoid, green tourmaline, green zircon, tsavorite, green diamond.
Pages: [1] 2