Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317638 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/14] Fortress Defense Mod II: Slight Bugfixes Done
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 06:52:12 pm »

I don't think you need to worry about learning curve, as the game itself has a pretty vertical one ;)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2010, 04:32:30 am »

A quick heads-up - the frogmen are wielding anything but wood. Some of them even have steel.
And the tigermen have flails. Fort over.

Old description in the first post has been edited. I did note the change, just forgot to actually write it in.\\
I'm running a game in 31.14, and the latest version of this mod, without the challenge pack.  World gen went fine.  I had plenty of enemy civs, plus two dwarf civs and one elf civ.

And I'm getting plenty of invasions.  I got a wave of strangler wrestlers my first summer, then strangler wrestlers on war tigers my first autumn.  I knew this was hardcore, so I did pretty much nothing but crank out armor and lock dwarves in danger rooms.  I cut up all the stranglers and their mounts, and ended up with over 100 juicy tiger steaks.  But the autumn invasion apparently blocked out the first caravan, because I heard nothing from the mountainhome.

Now it's the beginning of my second year, middle of late spring.  I didn't get any spring migrants, presumably because I missed my autumn caravan.  And nine thunder giants just showed up to party, in metal armor.  My population is 18.

The overall problem with the mod that all these civs interact so unpredictably that it's difficult to see any pattern in all the variability.  Sometimes no invasions, sometimes crazy invasions. 

For now, maybe the best approach with this mod is to generate a world that produces the civs you want and the invasion rate you want.  Let users download that world along with your mod.  Leave for later the task of making a mod that will consistently generate that sort of world.

Based on the fact that nine  nine thunder giants showed up, I think you downloaded the original version, which is up as a kind of legacy. Thunder giants are not in the most current Fortress Defense mod version, as they have been replaced by a more expanded version of their race with a different name.

Another thing is that the current version should prevent Stranglers from arriving in the autumn, but this restriction was not imposed in the original fortress defense mod.

I think one problem is that I haven't clearly indicated to people how to change the difficulty, so I'm going to clarify this shortly.

Stay tuned!

EDIT: This is the basic version you wished to dowload. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3197

In this version, I've also deleted whip-like weapons from Tigermen and returned wooden equipment to frogs. The Challenge Mode files remain unchanged, of course.

Thanks! Can I download the new version and edit the raws in my savegame?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:47 am »

This Basic version is from the updated version of the mod. If my suspicions are correct about the version you downloaded, and you'll be willing to confirm this by telling me whether you can be attacked by Tigermen and Hellfire Imps by checking the raws of your current save, you downloaded an archaic version of this mod that is incompatible.

The problem is your game has creatures in it that aren't supposed to be in the Basic version. This means that you'll have to generate a new world before new raws apply.

If you wish to soften the difficulty of your current save, I recommend either deleting the progress triggers for the civs that you fear, or else changing the creature raws themselves so that the enemies aren't as large and therefore tough.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2010, 05:16:45 am »

This Basic version is from the updated version of the mod. If my suspicions are correct about the version you downloaded, and you'll be willing to confirm this by telling me whether you can be attacked by Tigermen and Hellfire Imps by checking the raws of your current save, you downloaded an archaic version of this mod that is incompatible.

The problem is your game has creatures in it that aren't supposed to be in the Basic version. This means that you'll have to generate a new world before new raws apply.

If you wish to soften the difficulty of your current save, I recommend either deleting the progress triggers for the civs that you fear, or else changing the creature raws themselves so that the enemies aren't as large and therefore tough.

Yep, Tigermen and Hellfire imps are here.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2010, 08:36:44 am »

Yep, Tigermen and Hellfire imps are here.

Well, the other thing is that changes to equipment don't take effect without a regen, unfortunately...my other recommendations still stand though.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2010, 01:10:19 pm »

You know what, forget that request I had made earlier, I realize that if it's easy for you to cut out blocks of entity_fortdefense.txt, it's easy for me (or any user) to do as well.  You might just note this in the instructions and that's all.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2010, 10:53:36 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
This should be fixed up for 0.31.15. It thought they were lizardmen or something and was waiting for you to irritate their cave feature.

Looks like invader bugs will be fixed next release, meaning that this mod should be compatible with 31.15, at least!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2010, 06:52:49 pm »

Since 31.15 is now out I'll give it a try with your mod - I don't figure any changes are necessary eh?
update: something's amiss with .15, it seems to be pausing briefly about every second, to an uncomfortable degree :/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:03:42 pm by FleshForge »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2010, 04:53:30 am »

Supposedly the next version's coming out in a few hours. Might be better to check that one out instead.

Incidentally, some of the races in this mod, like Elephants and Stranglers, already incorporated my own fixes to some of the raw errors fixed this version.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/16] Fortress Defense Mod II: Basic/Challenge Split
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2010, 02:08:10 pm »

And here it is :)  Considering the nature of your mod and how well it worked in .13/.14 (perfectly) I'm sure it'll be fine.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2010, 06:10:27 am »

Genned entirely in 31.16, the fruity fortress of Bunnyflower has made it through the first year and the first invasion of stranglers (fought them barehanded) - no problems, seems to work fine for newly-genned worlds.  I did stop history at year 50 but otherwise made few changes to worldgen options.

update: autumn of year 3 and three sieges hit me at around the same time, stranglers, tigermen and frogmen on various mounts - all seems to be well :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:45:49 am by FleshForge »

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »

Summer of year two (2), and I'm under siege by five groups - two groups of tigermen, ALL on giant war cats, one group of war leopards (not sure who they came with), one group of frogmen and one group of stranglers. The massive amount of war cats seems like a bit of a bug, especially the cat-only group.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »

The war animals arriving unaccompanied is a feature of vanilla DF; goblins may come with squads of war giant olms, for example.

Although, war cats are a bit of an unusual circumstance.

Similarly, war animals or war mounts are hard-coded into the game. They are generally tied randomly to the leaders of civs during world gen. Unfortunately, no tag that I know of exists to prevent civs from bringing war beasts, although killing their leaders will end the arrival of said war animals.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2010, 01:03:32 am »

Haven't managed to survive FPS wise to see the spider civ yet, but i have got to say those giants are a pain if you don't have any blunt weapon users trained.

I couldn't figure out why i was having so much trouble killing them, then i realized that because they're so big, their armor is made so thick that even exceptional/masterwork Adamantine axes and swords can be deflected entirely by their no-quality large bismuth bronze stuff. seems like the only place they can penetrate it is the lower arms.

Edit: Not complaining, i thought it was really cool actually, i hadn't used a blunt weapon squad in i don't know how long,
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:09:20 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

apatters

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2010, 06:48:36 am »

Hmm, I installed this mod over the 31.16/Mayday package that's available on these forums, and have gen'ed two worlds which I've let run for about two years each. No invaders yet in either one. In both cases there were tons of civilizations listed on the embark screen.

Is it possible that invasions are still bugged in the new version? I'm dying to play this mod.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:52:02 am by apatters »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 80