Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317647 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/16] Fortress Defense Mod II: Basic/Challenge Split
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:13 am »

Fiend spiders have difficulty biting through bronze armour.  Thank God, else those two that got in would've wiped my entire fort. :o
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2010, 03:26:48 pm »

This reminds me, I have never gotten a human caravan in 31.16.  Currently in year 6 in one fort, but this has happened with all the others I've tried too.  I can see humans on the embark screen, but they never come visit.  Doesn't really bother me because there's always a lot of OTHER visitors, but this does seem to be a trend.

edit: huh, I guess they just come a lot later now, or maybe their civilization didn't have leaders for it - here they are in year 7!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:09:59 pm by FleshForge »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2010, 05:28:51 pm »

This reminds me, I have never gotten a human caravan in 31.16.  Currently in year 6 in one fort, but this has happened with all the others I've tried too.  I can see humans on the embark screen, but they never come visit.  Doesn't really bother me because there's always a lot of OTHER visitors, but this does seem to be a trend.

edit: huh, I guess they just come a lot later now, or maybe their civilization didn't have leaders for it - here they are in year 7!

More likely it was that the constant sieges prevented a human caravan from arriving; I prevented the early civs from coming in autumn so at least the dwarven caravan could come.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2010, 10:06:54 am »

Alright, i had a pregnant white tigerwoman give birth to white tigerman cubs, and i remembered you mentioning taming them eariler.

I gave it a shot, and it went about as poorly as taming invader animals does. You end up with a hostile(listed as Tame though, with invading mounts they remain "Invader", i think?) that functions like a wild animal/thief for the purposes of animal hauling.

Interestingly enough, though, the tigerman cub was instantly freed from its cage as soon as it was tamed. That's new. Ended up having to use dfliquids to trap it in obsidian since i don't actually have a military yet.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2010, 10:44:24 am »

Alright, i had a pregnant white tigerwoman give birth to white tigerman cubs, and i remembered you mentioning taming them eariler.

I gave it a shot, and it went about as poorly as taming invader animals does. You end up with a hostile(listed as Tame though, with invading mounts they remain "Invader", i think?) that functions like a wild animal/thief for the purposes of animal hauling.

Interestingly enough, though, the tigerman cub was instantly freed from its cage as soon as it was tamed. That's new. Ended up having to use dfliquids to trap it in obsidian since i don't actually have a military yet.

Thank you for your contributions to science! I shall have to remember not to attempt something like that.

Well, at least you can still breed the children, and then drop them off buildings so they'd be butcherable and make roasts out of them. That's what I was planning to do, at any rate...but I think vanilla dwarves might not eat sentients - this depends on whether the game counts sentients as those who can speak or those who can learn.

Have you tried cooking up any Tigerman Cub meals yet?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2010, 11:21:54 am »

Thank you for your contributions to science! I shall have to remember not to attempt something like that.

Well, at least you can still breed the children, and then drop them off buildings so they'd be butcherable and make roasts out of them. That's what I was planning to do, at any rate...but I think vanilla dwarves might not eat sentients - this depends on whether the game counts sentients as those who can speak or those who can learn.

Have you tried cooking up any Tigerman Cub meals yet?

Still no military, just finishing up armor for six so i'll know here in an hour or two.

However, having butchered normal tigermen(and snail/slugmen) i can tell you that you can butcher them if tamed, however the meat doesn't count on the z menu(i don't think? Possible that it was such a small amount i didn't notice though) and i've never seen it in cooked form before.

Edit: These things work exactly like hostile wild animals/thieves. The second they get out of their cage military will kill them and any cilvilian doing anything around them, including hauling them, runs like hell, so there's no real way to turn them into cattle, from what I can tell.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:40:55 pm by Zaik »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2010, 12:11:50 am »

Edit: These things work exactly like hostile wild animals/thieves. The second they get out of their cage military will kill them and any cilvilian doing anything around them, including hauling them, runs like hell, so there's no real way to turn them into cattle, from what I can tell.

I've heard of a 40d fort that breed the unicorn mounts leftover after a broken elf siege, locked each one in an individual 1x1 cell, then released them when the mother had kids to be captured in individual cage traps, from which several could be butchered by the military and turned into roasts.

Dunno if that still works in this version.

---New Update---

I've taken Fleshforge's suggestion and created files that only contain one entity, so that the user can mix and match the entities he desires. The creature files are still undifferentiated, because the game won't generate the extra ones if the appropriate entity doesn't exist, so there's no need to.

I haven't made any other major changes because there don't seem to be any major bugs or outstanding requests.

I also rewrote the readme so that it includes an index of the attacking civs, including a table of the seasons in which enemy civs attack. I've included it in this post.

===Seasonal Schedule of Attacks:

Spring   Summer   Autumn   Winter
Stranglers   x   x      x
Frogmen      x   x      x
Tigermen           x   x   x   x
Blendecs           x      x   
Nagas      x   x      
Furies      x   x   x   
Hellfire Imps   x      x   x
Warwolves         x   x
Elephants              x   x   
Nightwings      x      x

***Challenge Mode enemies come in all seasons***

Edit: it'll only come up right if you quote it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:22:35 am by darkflagrance »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2010, 12:24:40 am »

Dang, I JUST rolled a new map.  Guess I will mess with this new version on the next play!

I'll admit I have decided to nerf hellfire imps, after the third time they vaporized a year's worth of entrance construction, even with 100% magma safe materials, I guess their fire breath is a bit too macho for me.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2010, 12:27:18 am »

Dang, I JUST rolled a new map.  Guess I will mess with this new version on the next play!

I'll admit I have decided to nerf hellfire imps, after the third time they vaporized a year's worth of entrance construction, even with 100% magma safe materials, I guess their fire breath is a bit too macho for me.

There's actually nothing really new except the fact that it's easier now to install the mod without a civ you find too difficult.

Though I might increase the tier of hellfire imps next release and maybe remove their whips.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/16] Fortress Defense Mod II: Higher Customizability!
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2010, 02:20:59 am »

Yeah I realize it's not new, just I finally wimped out and nerfed them like I wimped out on aquifers.  I'm not suggesting you change them, just admitting they are too beaucoup for me  :'(

I'll also take a moment to whine about flying units going right over my walls in year 2 (frogmen on giant war eagles) - there is a lot of luck involved, for my part mostly bad, and flying war eagles has only happened to me one time out of about ten.  I guess mounts are selected randomly based on the biome of the invader's civilization, which is pretty spiffy even if they mashed me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:23:41 am by FleshForge »

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:40 am »

I've heard of a 40d fort that breed the unicorn mounts leftover after a broken elf siege, locked each one in an individual 1x1 cell, then released them when the mother had kids to be captured in individual cage traps, from which several could be butchered by the military and turned into roasts.

Dunno if that still works in this version.

It would, but butchers won't butcher corpses of sentient creatures(without making cannibalism acceptable in the mountain entity), so you end up right where you started.

It would have been easier to tie the unicorn mothers up to a restraint though, and put cage traps outside it, so you don't have to keep freeing the mother over and over.

In other news, the cub does not get thirsty or hungry. That's probably normal, due to it's semi-invader status.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2010, 09:01:16 pm »

What is it about naga man corpses that makes nobody want to pick them up and stockpile them?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2010, 09:16:03 pm »

What is it about naga man corpses that makes nobody want to pick them up and stockpile them?

Snakes are icky!

*vomit*

*track vomit all over the place*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:27 pm »

Ah it was just that everyone was too busy to get to it for quite a while, all is well :)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2010, 07:56:10 am »

Well im halfway through year 2 on my first FortDefense attempt, in .16.

Not much yet though at this early stage i guess thats expected, a thief or 2 but no ambushes, everything is alive and was on embark screen so i guess i'll wait for it.

Curious though.....Tigermen just arrived as a merchant caravan, was a little surprised, do i have to genocide the merchants of these new races to get a war going or something?  I had thought from the first page that these were all hostile goblin-like races
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 80