Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [Exalted 2e] Magical Hobos of Violence and JUSTICE. OoC thread.  (Read 14036 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile

Anybody here interested in playing Exalted?

Spoiler: Abridged Version (click to show/hide)

I can go into more specific detail if you want me to, but this is just an interest check for now. If interest is high enough, I'll proceed to Stage 1.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:36:25 pm by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Cogsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Exalted 2e] Interest Check.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »

Count me in.

Also ANOTHER summary of the setting, which I've long found to be more..let's say entertaining:
ExaltedHasAGodOfAwesome
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:18:29 pm by Cogsmith »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

That abridged version is awesome. I might be interested. You know what type of game you'd be running? Or whatever it is your nefarious scheme involves?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »

so how is this game going to work?
like an RTD or do i need to buy some rulebook first or...?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:41:24 pm »

Generic Solar Adventures of awesome. Punching gods in the face, taking over cities with a knife and/or a smile, building giant robot armies, those sorts of things. It depends what people feel like doing. A lot of what makes an Exalted game great is centered on the Characters themselves, and it's important for them to be well-developed, and to have a bit of a say in the world.

At first, if this goes ahead, we need to work out what sort of game you all would like.

Nation building: Take over, wheather by force, guile, or downright Awesome, take over a city. Turn that city into a great nation.

Awesome Adventuring Party: A group of improbably powerful characters roam Creation, avoiding the Wyld Hunt, and righting wrongs, doing justice, punching gods in the face. Or maybe they're tracking down powerful artifacts, so that they can save the world. Whatever.

Exalted is pretty sandbox, since the characters are so powerful it's hard to stop them doing what they want.

@ Ghazkull. The Core rulebook will be very useful to have, but if you want to play and can't get the book for one reason or another, I can help you with stuff.

As an aside. These tutorials explain the basics/more complicated stuff.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:13:59 pm »

This sounds interesting and if I can play without the book I will.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:37:58 pm »

I'm in, if only so I can kill people by talking at them and other such ridiculous stuff. Didn't one of the factions have martial arts that allowed them to punch you into a duck; as in, they punch you, you turn into a duck?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »

Count me in!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:01:16 am »

Yes. Duck isn't specified, though. In fact:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So not just ducks. They can punch people and turn them into a puddle, punch them and create a whole new life out of nowhere, or just flat-out punch them from existence.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:44:53 am »

Okay, so that people get the right mindset about Exalted, I'll go over it's most important mechanic.

Stunting.

Basically, this is a mechanic in place to keep the game interesting for those involved, though it does take some effort. Stunts are any description you make that's more than just "I attack" or "I hide" or "I convince him I didn't steal his cow". The in-game rationale behind it is that the pattern spiders, the magical creatures who make sure the fabric of reality doesn't unravel, find it awesome.

A one-die stunt is a good description of the action, adjudicated by the Storyteller. In return, the player gains one additional die, and the character may perform feats that border on impossible (such as running across the heads of people in a crowd, deflecting a blade or arrow barehanded and so on).

Aside from the bonus die, a one-die stunt lets you regain 2 Motes of essence.

Example: Anoria snaps her razor-fan open with a soft click across the guard’s throat. She then watches over its bloody edge as he collapses in a gurgling heap at her feet.

A two-die stunt require that the character interacts with the environment in a substantial fashion, taking advantage of the scenery that the Storyteller has provided. This can be physical environment or things the character knows about the world, like an enemy’s phobias or a lover’s favorite flower. The player gets two bonus dice and may perform limited dramatic editing. No detail of the scene may be contradicted, but minor details may be “revealed” in the context of the character’s actions. For instance, a character might leap off a parapet to escape a hail of arrows, and the player could use a two-die stunt to reveal a banner fortuitously hung on the wall, which the character grabs to save himself.* The Storyteller may veto any editing that he feels strains belief or is otherwise inappropriate
(such as an edit that contradicts a major detail he has not yet revealed)

Aside from the bonus dice, a two-die stunt lets you regain 4 Motes of essence, or 1 point of Willpower.

*This is important. Essentially, if you want to do a stunt the requires the use of, say, a fortuitously place railing, or pole, or cart, merchant, whatever, then just say it was there all along. Anything that wasn't clearly defined by the ST is fair game for the players, provided it isn't too far-fetched.

Example: With the Infernal's back turned, the demons foul consort relishing the chance to laugh in Valken's face, Sun's Hidden Seeker took the opportunity to get out of sight.

She leaped silently upwards, carefully wedging her swords into two of the little house's rafters, then using them to pull herself up and swing into a position out of sight of the window. The swords quickly and quietly came loose from the wood and followed her up, the in a flash were out of sight so that their golden metal didn't give her away.

And last, the three-die stunt. Three-die stunts are singular acts of greatness, stunning bravado and visual poetry, defined by their capacity to leave the other players slack-jawed in astonishment. If any doubt exists as to whether a stunt merits three dice, it isn’t a three-die stunt. In addition to providing three bonus dice, these feats allow for the same measure of dramatic editing as two-die stunts.

This is the real ultimate goal of Exalted, to get as many of these babies as possible.

Aside from the bonus dice, a three-die stunt lets you regain 6 Motes of essence, or 1 point of Willpower. Or, a point of XP.

Example: Makoto looked grateful as Owl flew back in through his window, wriggling rat in her talons. "Thank you; you have no idea how long that would take to do by myself."

The rat, deposited on the floor, tried to run away but froze in Makoto's mental grip. The scholar snapped his fingers, and the rodent was suddenly covered by a roiling golden fog. The rat let out a single frightened squeak that cut off abruptly, and as the fog faded, all that was left was a vaguely rat-shaped lump of impure gold.

Automatically checking his door again to make sure it was locked, Makoto put on the set of goggles he had obtained from the two Champions and went to work. Methodically, he lifted his material into the air and began searing the gold into malleability, making it hotter and hotter until it could be stretched and teased to his liking. It took a few hours, but eventually the gold had been molded into the rough shape of a four armed man. Letting it cool for a bit, he sat it down on his desk, and started in with the detail work. With the essence of his patron guiding his actions, the work took form. The Unconquered Sun, cutting a glorious and untouchable figure, standing resolute over top a tiny but detailed depiction of Chiaroscuro. The city, for all its marvels, seemed almost decrepit and unworthy next to the shining perfection of The Most High. The message was clear: Know Your Place.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:55:11 am »

This sounds interesting and if I can play without the book I will.
This sums up my thoughts on the matter quite well.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 10:33:08 am »

First, and most important step.

What sorts of character concepts are going through your heads?

In past games, and also for fun, I've made:

A determined robin hood style thief, who, upon Exalting, went a little bit mad in the head, and a lot less compassionate. The last person to have held the Solar shard, a very long-lived assassin, left a lot of their memories on it. So present-day character tends to get a little confused between past and present at times.

An Infernal musician, who, armed with his magic fiddle, could make people dance-fight to the death, while he skipped around the melee, occasionally kicking someone so hard that they exploded.

A mad doctor, who got the Black Exaltation after a horrible lab accident. He now turns the populations of small villages into weapons of war and torture. I've yet to start playing with him properly, but I know where I'm going to take him. And it isn't on the path to redemption.

A glory-seeking Solar warrior armed with a BFS, valorous to the extreme, and capable of parrying anything he damn well feels like. So far, he's parried a torrent of molten copper so hard that it went back to the source and broke it.

A Solar who was Exalted for her singing voice and determination, but not long after that had it stolen by a Fae. Now mute, she's hunting that bloody elf down and she's going to hurt it until it gives her voice back.

You get the idea. What sort of character would you like to play? Feel free to ask me about the setting if you need the info.
Also, any of you got AIM?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:15 am »

A glory-seeking Solar warrior armed with a BFS, valorous to the extreme, and capable of parrying anything he damn well feels like. So far, he's parried a torrent of molten copper so hard that it went back to the source and broke it.
So you made Fighter? Can you prevent falling damage by blocking the earth?

Also, any of you got AIM?
Nope, just skype.

As for a character, I would prefer a mage/assassin type character, using illusions and stealth to avoid direct fair fights.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:18:05 am »

If you can write the stunt parrying the earth, yes.

Since this'll be as simple as possible, only using Solars, the traditional Stealth-type for them are Night Castes. They've got the sneaky and acrobatics (Athletics, Awareness, Dodge, Larceny, Stealth) abilities favored from the get go, and it doesn't take long, if you focus on Larceny and Stealth Charms, to be able to walk straight through doors, become invisible at will, and even convince people that, actually, they didn't see anything.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:49 am »

Since this'll be as simple as possible, only using Solars, the traditional Stealth-type for them are Night Castes. They've got the sneaky and acrobatics (Athletics, Awareness, Dodge, Larceny, Stealth) abilities favored from the get go, and it doesn't take long, if you focus on Larceny and Stealth Charms, to be able to walk straight through doors, become invisible at will, and even convince people that, actually, they didn't see anything.
Perfect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9