Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adamantine bolt exploit?  (Read 8408 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine bolt exploit?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 03:56:20 pm »

An easier method would be to use a water clock, which can be accurate to the single tick.  Using that, you could have a door open for ~5 ticks, and immediately close, allowing just enough time to fire but not enough time for impact.  Much much more reliable than a patrolling soldier as the timer.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 04:03:30 pm »

Some people like finding ways to bend the rules without outright breaking them.  Thus the word "exploit":  You're exploiting the way the game works in a way that wasn't intended.

Exploits and cheats are the same thing. You're getting around intended game rules one way or the other. It's only the type of method and deniability that varies... but why bother lying to yourself in a single player game? If you're doing it on purpose, you're cheating.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 04:39:28 pm »

Some people like finding ways to bend the rules without outright breaking them.  Thus the word "exploit":  You're exploiting the way the game works in a way that wasn't intended.

Exploits and cheats are the same thing. You're getting around intended game rules one way or the other. It's only the type of method and deniability that varies... but why bother lying to yourself in a single player game? If you're doing it on purpose, you're cheating.

I disagree completely. A cheat to me is something like "hit these buttons and get infinite ammo, etc".
An exploit *still* requires some skill, sometimes. I mean okay, the dupe exploit in Oblivion takes little to no skill, at all.

The tougher an exploit is then the people feel that it's *okay* to use since technically, they having to earn it. Personally, I'd have just modded it in but each person is different.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 04:56:03 pm »

I disagree completely. A cheat to me is something like "hit these buttons and get infinite ammo, etc".
An exploit *still* requires some skill, sometimes. I mean okay, the dupe exploit in Oblivion takes little to no skill, at all.

The tougher an exploit is then the people feel that it's *okay* to use since technically, they having to earn it. Personally, I'd have just modded it in but each person is different.

The primary difference between an exploit and a cheat is this:

An exploit can typically be used through in-game methods.
A cheat typically uses outside-the-game methods.

However, both of them bypass how the game is intended to work by the person(s) who made the rules for the game.

So it is only a technical difference, and primarily changes how people may or may not feel about the legitimacy of the method.

However, no matter how strongly people feel about getting around the intended rules, it's still cheating. It doesn't matter if you press A B A B Up Down or install an outside program to press it for you, if you're circumventing the intended rules, it's a cheat. Pleading ignorance is not a defense, ie "oh well you can get infinite adamantine by doing a certain bizarre series of steps which make absolutely no sense in normal terms and are almost certainly bugs, so surely Toady wanted people to be able to get infinite adamantine! That means it's supposed to be this way! I didn't use a hack!" Nope. Cheat.

Edit: Of course it's a single player game, so it's not really a big deal... if you're cheating anyone, it's yourself. However, if it were multiplayer and someone were using program bugs to unfairly kill you and spoil the intended flow and balance of the game, you might reconsider your thoughts on what's cheating and what is not.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:08:45 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 05:08:18 pm »

I would point out that certain hacks, like quantum stockpiling, are almost a necessity due to the enormous amount of stone generated in an average fort.  I also feel that DFHack's use of cleanmap and clearowned are also fairly essential, because cleaning and clotheswearing are both rather bugged.  These represent more of an edit to fix a bug, while generating infinite adamantine via smelting bolts is most definitely cheating.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »

The primary difference between an exploit and a cheat is this:

An exploit can typically be used through in-game methods.
A cheat typically uses outside-the-game methods.

I'm sorry but cheats are programmed into the game. Now if you mean something like hacking with something like cheat engine, yes that cheat isn't intended. But button codes or a level select being unlocked are cheats. Cheats are generally put into the game by the programmers.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »

I don't disagree, Girlinhat. DF is a work in progress, some things like cleanmap are necessary. And if someone wants to get extra cotton candy, why not? It's your game after all. However, I see too many exploits being used elsewhere to great detriment of other, multiplayer games and matches to not say anything about the attitude towards "just" exploits.

I'm sorry but cheats are programmed into the game. Now if you mean something like hacking with something like cheat engine, yes that cheat isn't intended. But button codes or a level select being unlocked are cheats. Cheats are generally put into the game by the programmers.

I'm sorry but I was using the word cheat in the regular english sense of "cheating" or more specifically what people who consider exploits "not cheats" would still consider cheating, which I thought would be clear from the context.

If it makes it easier for you to understand, think of it as "game exploits vs other types of cheating" instead.
Pages: 1 [2]