Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adamantine bolt exploit?  (Read 8405 times)

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
Adamantine bolt exploit?
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »

From the write-only thread What's going on in your fort?:
I also begun my adamantine industry, having mined out a good 20 tiles worth, I'm turning them into wafers to feed the adamantine generator. Soon my marksdwarves will ensure the multiplication of the adamantine, which in turn will ensure the equipment for my entire fortress.
>:D
Does smithing, shooting, and melting adamantine bolts give you more usable adamantine than you started with?
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine bolt exploit?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:18:42 pm »

Apparently, not sure if it works anymore though.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »

Theoretically. AFAIK 1-10 bolts melted will produce .1 bar, so if 25 bolts were split without loss and melted separately, that's 2.5 bars of metal.

However, since firing bolts is the only way to split bolt stacks, practically this exploit would involve saving as many bolts from the archery practice as possible. The way to save bolts is to have channels near the targets that can save the bolts. I have no idea if this will result in a save rate of greater than 40%, though, which is the rate required to break even from melting bolts. Whether the save rate is modified by the skill of the archer, the quality of the bolts, or even the quality of the archery target is an exercise left to the reader.

einstein, another option (rather than making a forum post directly) is to politely ask Miggy in a private message about his or her method for adamantine generation.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:30:02 pm »

From what I remember it required a goblin running through doors, with pressure plates closing the doors at the right time, and channels around it.  The dwarves would fire bolts, which hit the closed doors and fell into the channel.  Below this was a smelter or more.  After a bunch of individual bolts were down below you mass-designate them all to be melted.  Each individual bolt would become a whole wafer (or whatever), which would then be made into a stack of bolts.  Repeat as desired.

Yes it made an unlimited supply of adamantine.  But, it was time consuming, especially since sooner or later you'd need to replace the goblin.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »

The way I recall someone saving bolts was similar to the way described above, but with a dwarf running through all the doors to open them, rather then a floodgate.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. If you're willing to go through that much trouble *and* do something that exploit-y, I'd say just mod in another metal (mithril?) between steel and Adamantine with an appropriate amount of work/cost but much greater availability.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »

What about lever-activated crossbows traps?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:31 pm »

You can't link a trap to a lever.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:52 pm »

The guy who linked the Wiki article on cheating had the right idea. Why go to the trouble of upwards of 25 smelting jobs in addition to the work of creating and firing the bolts, when the end goal (duplicating adamantine through abusing a bug which requires a fair bit of setup work) can be achieved by just using raw reactions. If what you want is infinite adamantine, be honest with yourself and just react it rather than trying some kludge method like this which is still a cheat. Just my opinion.

In my experience with Bustnut, this method did not work very well as nearly all the bolts broke instead of falling into the channel.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:52 pm »

People do this because it's offically not cheating and this greatly helps their consious.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »

Some people like finding ways to bend the rules without outright breaking them.  Thus the word "exploit":  You're exploiting the way the game works in a way that wasn't intended.

Not to mention that giving yourself free resources by modding reactions is easy.  Many DF players love doing things as complicated as possible.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:04:03 am »

Some people like finding ways to bend the rules without outright breaking them.  Thus the word "exploit":  You're exploiting the way the game works in a way that wasn't intended.

Not to mention that giving yourself free resources by modding reactions is easy.  Many DF players love doing things as complicated as possible.

THIS.

Also, the exploit works best by having a goblin somewhere it can't ever escape, a door between it and the archers, a pit on the archers' side of the door (to catch the bolts), and a military dwarf set to patrol back and forth through the door.  As long as the military dwarf is fast enough and the archers are at about max firing range, the goblin should never take a hit, giving a 100% bolt recovery rate.  (Using three doors in a row, to misses, is helpful.)

The other advantage to this is that it trains marksdwarves MUCH faster than target practice (XP gain for shooting at a real target is much higher than for shooting at a practice target).

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 02:19:45 am »

Yes it made an unlimited supply of adamantine.  But, it was time consuming, especially since sooner or later you'd need to replace the goblin.

sweet jesus this thread is making me laugh.

also, the patrolling dwarf thing sounds super risky. do you get friendly fire with crosbows? i dont remember ever seeing it happen, but in 40d i didnt use crossbowmen that much, they were so overpowered.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:53 am »

Nope, no friendly fire.

So, as I see it, you should definitely train your favourite weaponsmith up to legendary +5 before wasting your adamantium...possibly by gearing the fortress for weapons exports? Or just by making tons of weapons and putting them into traps?

Either way, hum hum.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Lamiales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 10:42:43 am »

sorry for necro, but when i was looking for the setup for this, i somehow only ever found this thread and not the other one where the setup is explained. So here it is: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51423.0
Pages: [1] 2