Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inducing Freezing  (Read 1689 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inducing Freezing
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »

Is there a way to force water to freeze? I mean in an environment where you have a dry and rainy season, and the murky pools don't tend to get above 4/7.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Inducing Freezing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:02:26 pm »

Might look into the hot/cold runes/rocks/stones/gems/whatever... Could possibly mod one to be extremely cold. If it functions as fire at all. It may affect a 3x3x3 area.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:19 pm »

Hmm...That sounds like it would require a regen. I'm already pretty deep into this project, so I'll do without. The only reason I wanted to be able to freeze water was so I could ground my tower/palace thing rather than have it float above the water attached to the world only by a 40x2 bridge of floor constructions.

It works, but I don't want to defy physics too hard. It might come back to bite me.

EDIT: Shaostoul, thank you for being such a knowledge beneficiary. I haven't used your guides yet, but it was very nice of you to do the research and then make it available to the public.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:12:52 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:44:35 pm »

Hmmm, you could try modding an existing material. However, all materials made out of it would have these special properties. Also, if it were too cold, it make freeze dwarfs. The way you would freeze the water would be to drop the stone in. Most likely using a dump zone and marking the stone to be dumped, it'd be a time consuming process.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:04:50 am »

I've started that, but I don't know what token will cause the "chill stone" to be cold. RESEARCH ACTIVATED! Thanks for the idea, I hope it works without murdering too many of my dwarves.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:22 am »

[FIXED_TEMP:9508]?

(Urist temp scale is F + 9968, so 9508 is close enough to absolute zero)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:08:30 am by 3 »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:17:45 am »

10000 urists=32 fahrenheit. I don't want to freezinerate my dwarves, so I went with the more tame 9980. 9508 sounds like it'd get better results, but is it safe?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 01:20:22 am »

Yeah, something like that would be more reasonable. I don't think anyone's ever figured out what the exact heat/cold values for materials not listed in the raws are (this was a bigger problem in .28, of course). 10000 is the default for water and such.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 01:24:20 am »

Heh. I put a chill stone breastplate on a dwarf in the arena and sent him into the water, but nothing happened. 9780 is out, I'm trying 9508 next.

EDIT: Hm, it's possible I didn't edit the material properly. I used    [FIXED_TEMP:9508], but that didn't have any effect.. Ah! It should be [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:], fixing that and setting it back to 9700.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: That is useless, going with 9508 and the (hopefully) correct token...

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN: Arena mode shows nothing! This modding stuff is tougher than I expected. I'm going ahead and testing it in-game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:41:18 am by Organum »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:15 am »

The main problem with modding stones to be super cold is that I have yet to get a stone to freeze water in tiles other than the one that it is in. This means that you can only freeze water in the tile the stone is currently in. Because of the way that freezing works it then destroys all items and creatures in the tile, destroying the stone and allowing the water to instantly unfreeze.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:56:36 am »

Well, that does put a large block on the practicality of this scheme. Would it be smarter to build a perimeter of the stone around where I want to build, deconstruct it, and then mod the stone to be super hot?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:21 pm »

The main problem with modding stones to be super cold is that I have yet to get a stone to freeze water in tiles other than the one that it is in. This means that you can only freeze water in the tile the stone is currently in. Because of the way that freezing works it then destroys all items and creatures in the tile, destroying the stone and allowing the water to instantly unfreeze.
wait you got stones to freeze water? I can't even do that right. all I got was ice developing on the stone and frostbite on the hand that touch it(with a adventurer reaction). 

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:PERMAICE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:permaIce][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:1:3][TILE:11]
   [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:permaIce water]
   [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:permaIce]
   [STATE_COLOR:GAS:BLUE]
   [STATE_NAME:GAS:permaGas]
   [STATE_ADJ:GAS:permaGas]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:12]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:1]
   [SPEC_HEAT:10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]
   [BOILING_POINT_NONE]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:10000]
   [IS_STONE]   
this is the code that fails me the most.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 03:00:46 pm »

uhh not sure but that overly large spec heat could be the confusing problem. don't know what the max value was/is but the game has been known to "wrap around" as bites tend to do with overflow.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »

Actually... you want a lower spec heat... IIRC a rock I made to burn stuff with a spec heat around 10 produced significantly hotter heat than one with 1000. It could've changed...

Spec heat might actually be the resistance it has to having heat penetrate stuff. So like with electrical circuits, a high resistance number, the more power is required to get through a resistor.

Also, if you're feeling risky, you could try extreme heat rocks, I know those work for sure, just burninating your dwarfs can be a very common occurrence. If you use Deon's mod he has Obsidian dwarfs with fire immunity.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »

in the freeze thing, maybe you could have a custom one tile building that makes a free freeze stone that has stats like:
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:0]
[SPEC_HEAT:5]
a much lower value for spec heat would cause the stone to heat up faster, which also cools the area much faster. it would also be better to have:
[BOILING_POINT:10000]
so the said material won't just eternaly sit around for nothing.
remember that the lower the [SPEC_HEAT:#] the faster the material affects it's surronding's temp, and vice versa.
Pages: [1] 2